Single Reissues Campaign - I'll Remember + vinyl mixes - OUT NOW

New_Boy

2 hours ago, deathproof said:

Liz Smith first announced it in Feb 16 1995. Later, the NY Daily News on March 8th wrote a full piece on the tribute album and who waa contributing what.

So around later Feb/Early March.

In regards to STR,

Liz Smith reported that M would “record some new material for an album” on April 1st, and later in August of that year, she wrote that a collection of ballads would be released around Christmas, featuring some of her greatest slow songs as well as two new ones – a cover of Marvin Gaye’s “I Want You” and a newly recorded version of “Love Don’t Live Here Anymore.” The collection then tentatively titled, I Want You.

So, LDLHA was supposed to have been re-recorded for STR. Wow! Madonna has never re-recorded any of her songs (except for the studio tour versions) in their entirety, has she? The only songs that come to mind are the Sickick remix of Frozen and the Hung Up on Tokisha remix of Hung Up that have very few but newly recorded vocals

Speaking of I Want You as a title for the compilation, they probably rejected the idea cause they wanted a more serious tone / title for a ballads album that wouldn't be associated with the Erotica backlash that had occured only a few years before

10 minutes ago, deathproof said:

We don’t know that for a fact. Re-recorded could just be confused with “remixed,” which is what was released on STR.

Maybe she re-recorded it but the original vocals were better in the end and that's why they used them? Didn't that also happen with "Lucky Star" on "The Immaculate Collection"?

Her original 1984 vocal take is quite impressive... for a "dance act" recording her first ballad... wow.

It's clearer on the "Hot Mix Radio Edit" and it's so raw and convincing. I guess she connected it with her losing her mum or something like that deep inside. She's even crying in the end, right? I remember reading Nile Rodgers talking about that, that she was sobbing when she ended recording it, but who knows.

The story on how the song came to have been included on the LAV album and how it was recorded, is on Wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Don't_Live_Here_Anymore

The idea to cover the song originated from Michael Ostin, the head of the A&R department of Warner Bros. Records.[32] In author Warren Zanes book Revolutions in Sound: Warner Bros. Records, the First 50 Years, he recalled:

"I had the good fortune of finding material that Madonna really responded to, 'Love Don't Live Here Anymore' for instance, which was the old Rose Royce record. I was driving into work one day and heard it on the radio, I called producer Nile Rodgers and Madonna, they were in the studio. I said, 'I have an idea,. You know the old Rose Royce record, 'Love Don't Live Here Anymore'? Why don't you try and record a version of it for Like a Virgin?"[32]

Initially both Rodgers and Madonna were apprehensive of tackling an already well-known ballad, but in the last minute they decided that if Madonna wanted to bring diversity to the album, there could be no better song than "Love Don't Live Here Anymore".[32] According to Rodgers, although Like a Virgin was mainly driven by Madonna, he was instrumental in adding "Love Don't Live Here Anymore" to the track list.[33] The song was a favorite of Madonna.

The song was recorded at Power Station Studio in Manhattan, New York. Rodgers recalled: "Madonna had never performed with a live orchestra before. I was very much into doing everything live, so I just said, 'Madonna, you go out there and sing and we will follow you.' At first Madonna was hesitant, but the live setting ended up producing memorable results. She sang and she was overcome with emotions and she started crying, but I left it on the record."

About the lack of remixes included on the Love Don't Live Here Anymore Digital EP, it reminds me of the Rebel Heart Tour film where she cutted off the Love Don't Live Here Anymore performance at the end of HeartBreakCity...

Such a bad memories this situation brings me... 😅💔

3 hours ago, Madant said:

So, LDLHA was supposed to have been re-recorded for STR. Wow! Madonna has never re-recorded any of her songs (except for the studio tour versions) in their entirety, has she? The only songs that come to mind are the Sickick remix of Frozen and the Hung Up on Tokisha remix of Hung Up that have very few but newly recorded vocals

Speaking of I Want You as a title for the compilation, they probably rejected the idea cause they wanted a more serious tone / title for a ballads album that wouldn't be associated with the Erotica backlash that had occured only a few years before

She re-recorded DCFMA for the dance remix, which turned out great.

I hate when artists re-record their songs many years later when their voices have changed.

56 minutes ago, BuggedOut said:

I hate when artists re-record their songs many years later when their voices have changed.

I guess it all depends on the artist and/or reasoning behind why they re-recorded it.  Taylor Swift has done it, and she still sounds very much the same as the originals.  Then there is Alanis who re-recorded Jagged Little Pill in acoustic form and she sounds really great on it.  I actually prefer that version of the album over the original.  Then the other day, I just listened to U2's Songs of Surrender and I was impressed.  They re-recorded 40 songs throughout their catalog, with new arrangements and Bono sounds different than the original, but in most cases, I think these new versions sound even better.  I'm not a huge U2 fan, but after listening to this, I went back to listen to some of their older songs (which they re-recorded for this new album) and am amazed how fantastic her sounds on these new versions compared to the originals.  There are some older versions I've listened to once or twice, but then these new recordings I can listen to over and over again.

9 hours ago, Fabiolous said:

To be fair, I don't like You'll see, Take a bow, One more chance and This used to be my playground either. Something to remember is more like Something to forget for me.

It's too bad, it's just too sad. You don't want ballads no more 😭

7 hours ago, Madant said:

Something to Remember is the very first Madonna album I bought on CD (before that I had only been collecting cassettes), that's why it holds so many fond memories

It's special to me too. My favorite Madonna compilation. I love everything about it - new songs, photoshoot, white plastic case. I wish that Bad Girl - my beloved single from Erotica didn't made through.

7 hours ago, Madant said:

GHV2 feels rushed compared to STR, and a wasted opportunity when they could have included new songs, or even demos from the previous eras

GHV2 is a joke. It's filled all over with radio edits in case that it would get "Parental Advisory" sticker because of Human Nature. And all Music singles were included with no elimination (It's not that bad or anything but in my opinion that was not fair to other albums). Madonna's way to choose hits for GHV2 is bullshit and we can give it credence. She probably said to Warner "Alright alright, go on with that shit and give me a break already" :Madonna026:

8 hours ago, Madant said:

Even after it was released I remember it being reported she'd "re-recorded" the song. In fact, I had an argument with a woman once about it. She insisted it was new vocals :lol: 

43 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

Even after it was released I remember it being reported she'd "re-recorded" the song. In fact, I had an argument with a woman once about it. She insisted it was new vocals :lol: 

Some fans still believe that, I had the same argument with someone on this forum not long ago.

5 minutes ago, Fabiolous said:

Soooo, are we expecting Live to tell this Friday? What do y'all think?

1) Album version

2) 7" mix (previously unreleased on streaming)

3) Instrumental

If they do release Live to Tell, they will probably add the Immaculate Collection version instead of the 7” Version and call it 7” Remix, to continue re-writing history.

1 hour ago, BuggedOut said:

If they do release Live to Tell, they will probably add the Immaculate Collection version instead of the 7” Version and call it 7” Remix, to continue re-writing history.

Emily is not going to release the single on streaming because the ai couldn't upscale the cover!:cute:

4 hours ago, BuggedOut said:

In this case they will probably upload the 7" Version cause the TIC version is a remix of the long album version.

• Jackie changed the title to Single Reissues Campaign - I'll Remember + vinyl mixes - OUT NOW