Single Reissues Campaign - I'll Remember + vinyl mixes - OUT NOW

New_Boy

40 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

Besides Into The Groove his productions skills are very meh compared to the far superior single mixes made by Shep Pettibone (not the remixes, the single mixes) and what i hate about those middle 8  on some of these songs is that they repeated them making the song over long and dragging. Repeating it on Causing a commotion works but not on True Blue which highlights the main problem with the Bray co-written songs : they all have the same structure so they kind of sound like a formula. 

Yes but my post was literally saying that the repeat middle eight was my favourite bit of the song so I guess we just disagree. ?

5 hours ago, Fighter said:

when was the last time she had a great middle 8 or even one at all? hung up? my mind is blank but now that you list them wow those are all amazing. 

Deeper & Deeper and Vogue were pretty ace. Shep knew his way around one.

I actually think the Hung Up middle eight is hella clunky. I remember the first time I heard it it felt crowbarred in musically. I’m used to it now but yeah it sounds like it should naturally go somewhere else. 
Crave has a stunning middle 8 too. The heart of the song. 
but yeah Steve was the master.

22 minutes ago, steady75 said:

Yes but my post was literally saying that the repeat middle eight was my favourite bit of the song so I guess we just disagree. ?

It works superbly on some tracks it litterally kills others (like True blue). It's something you can also hear on some Breakfast Club tracks Bray co-wrote on their albumin 1987. 

20 minutes ago, steady75 said:

Deeper & Deeper and Vogue were pretty ace. Shep knew his way around one.

I actually think the Hung Up middle eight is hella clunky. I remember the first time I heard it it felt crowbarred in musically. I’m used to it now but yeah it sounds like it should naturally go somewhere else. 
Crave has a stunning middle 8 too. The heart of the song. 
but yeah Steve was the master.

I remember Bray saying in n interview that they learnt about song structure from a book they found at the Music Building and how you can create a signature sound. For instance most Pharrell tracks (except Give It To me for Madonna) in his catalogue start with the repeat of the first note 3 times.

8 minutes ago, steady75 said:

yeah and Max Martin used to use Britneys chorus with a different melody for the middle 8.

Baby

Crazy

Oops

Stronger

Lucky

to name a few. Sing it and you'll see.

Quite lazy but clever and you already know the words by the time it comes round and bolsters the chorus.

Max Martin is a genius. He's always been the king of the 2nd chorus! Just when you don't expect it BOOM! The song gives you a 2nd chorus and you end up with two great chorus within the same song. GENIUS.

Back to Stephen Bray, I have to say I like the Album Version of "Express Yourself" more than the Shep's remix nowadays. I think the remix sounds more dated now (obviously), while the original version is more timeless. It's also more complex musically?

But I completely understand why it was remixed back then, it needed to compete with the Janets, Paulas and everyone else in the pop world in 1989 and sound current and hot. Mission accomplished. 

I was looking the streaming numbers for some single reissues (I'm always curious about the numbers!) And look at this. Human Nature was the first one released on 2020/06/23 (almost a year ago!) And Beautiful Stranger was the last one released a week ago.
The difference is that Human Nature got no promo at all in the platform, it was released under the correct date (1995) and that was it. In the other hand, Beautiful Stranger is dated as 2021 so they could promote a song on Spotify playlists. The difference in the numbers are huge.

image.png.de544366441d09df51b3b4d81fd78064.png

image.png.c26d30429633c6359059c0afaa5af2aa.png

*the Radio Version and Orbit Radio Edit of both songs were already available on GHV2.

I know the numbers are not that big but we are talking about remixes from old songs, and you can clearly see the difference beetwen the first one released a year ago and the second one released a week ago. They are doing their job right!

35 minutes ago, lucasciccone said:

I was looking the streaming numbers for some single reissues (I'm always curious about the numbers!) And look at this. Human Nature was the first one released on 2020/06/23 (almost a year ago!) And Beautiful Stranger was the last one released a week ago.
The difference is that Human Nature got no promo at all in the platform, it was released under the correct date (1995) and that was it. In the other hand, Beautiful Stranger is dated as 2021 so they could promote a song on Spotify playlists. The difference in the numbers are huge.

*the Radio Version and Orbit Radio Edit of both songs were already available on GHV2.

I know the numbers are not that big but we are talking about remixes from old songs, and you can clearly see the difference beetwen the first one released a year ago and the second one released a week ago. They are doing their job right!

The 4 minute Calderone Mix (track 3) was also already available on the expanded Austin Powers soundtrack. Only 3 tracks were new to streaming last week, one of which was promoted via Radar.

4 hours ago, lucasciccone said:

You’re also forgetting that Beautiful Stranger is the bigger and more well known hit. If they had done Vogue or Ray of Light as the first release last year, I’m sure the streams would have outnumbered Beautiful Stranger.

I think her little soundtrack songs are one of the things I miss most about her career. A free aside with no album campaign to weight it down. Much missed indeed and a great era bridge. Also some of her biggest and best songs. Who else could actually have a soundtrack compilation should they want one? She could fill a CD easily. 

1 hour ago, deathproof said:

You’re also forgetting that Beautiful Stranger is the bigger and more well known hit. If they had done Vogue or Ray of Light as the first release last year, I’m sure the streams would have outnumbered Beautiful Stranger.

Actually Vogue was the second single reissue released on 2020/08/07 and the numbers are not that great after 9 months despite being one her biggest hits ever.

image.png.b25dfc58577b51694207131b5bc3be2b.png

Anyways, my intention was to point that they are doing a good job with the current way of releasing the old singles. :)

8 minutes ago, lucasciccone said:

Actually Vogue was the second single reissue released on 2020/08/07 and the numbers are not that great after 9 months despite being one her biggest hits ever.

Anyways, my intention was to point that they are doing a good job with the current way of releasing the old singles. :)

They should RE RE release Vogue. ?

Its so annoying to see few EPs havin the '(remixes)' at the end, like the Music one. Just make it simply Music so it will look like the rest, some of us are slightly OCD :rip:

Also idk why is so hard to fix the remixes after 2006, Hung Up, Sorry, Celebration, Crave have 2-3 albums, why they don't put them in one album, they're all remixes.

25 minutes ago, steady75 said:

I mean. Maybe it's a considered move. Some of her lead singles are the same name as the album. Music / Erotica / Like A Prayer / Ray Of Light / American Life / and the 80's ones will no doubt be incoming True Blue / Like A Virgin. So it's a way of diferentiating?

Yep, I feel like the shitty Apple Music algorithm would just put it all in the same folder, to the dismay of everyone alive.

5 hours ago, lucasciccone said:

That’s because the Single Version of Vogue sucks. It doesn’t have that iconic intro. I think the TIC version is the most iconic.

• Jackie changed the title to Single Reissues Campaign - I'll Remember + vinyl mixes - OUT NOW
  • Fighter changed the title to Single reissues campaign - Beautiful Stranger HD Music Video OUT NOW
  • Enrico unfeatured this topic