Single Reissues Campaign - I'll Remember + vinyl mixes - OUT NOW

New_Boy

45 minutes ago, Let'sGetUnconsciousHoney said:

I'm expecting Papa don't preach. 

What would they even release for This used to be my playground? Only an edit and the movie version? That one isn't coming

Girl, please.

-Single Version
-Instrumental
-The Long Version
-Barcelona Gold Edit

On 6/1/2021 at 5:40 PM, Brendanlovesu1 said:

It's listed an an Edit in the i'm breathless album,

I wish spotify would be updated with the correct tags

I know the explanation for this but I can't remember where I read it sorry (might have been someone on here).

Vogue's original mix was the single version (4:23). When the remixes were done, the intro of the Bette Davis Dub was so excellent that someone had the idea to make that the introduction to the song, and that became the album version (4:49) on I'm Breathless.

So because the single mix came first, it's listed as "Vogue" in their databases, and I'm Breathless' version is the (longer) "Edit". Then they made it even longer on TIC a few months later (5:17).

Someone please correct me if I have the wrong info :)

1 hour ago, WhitePanda said:

So because the single mix came first, it's listed as "Vogue" in their databases, and I'm Breathless' version is the (longer) "Edit". Then they made it even longer on TIC a few months later (5:17).

The US Vogue CD maxi-single lists the first track as the "Single Version." They've simply omitted it on Spotify. The I'm Breathless version on Spotify should not be called "Edit".

1 hour ago, WhitePanda said:

Vogue's original mix was the single version (4:23). When the remixes were done, the intro of the Bette Davis Dub was so excellent that someone had the idea to make that the introduction to the song, and that became the album version (4:49) on I'm Breathless.

The "Original Version" was always named "Single Version" on labels since day 1. So this is not the problem with Spotify.

R-682357-1270826227.jpeg.jpg.ad987d7254fa2cfd38b14f00a075325a.jpg

R-2057527-1308737813.jpeg.jpg.27d5290722a75712dd1b2fa3b43d014c.jpg

You're both right - ideally the Spotify album should call it the Single Version. 

My argument is that the Single Version is the first original mix of Vogue that they completed and got ready for radio. Then when they heard the Bette Davis Dub, they added that intro to the Single Version to create the Edit which was used for the album.

Again, I wish I remembered my source for this sorry!

Found that source - thank you @deathproof  for your OG post in another thread (https://madonna-infinity.net/forums/topic/29141-rare-japanese-edit-of-vogue/) -

So I think I'm half right and half wrong: the Single Version is an edit of a longer original mix, but the original mix isn't the I'm Breathless Edit either. See below: 

http://thebeatswithin.blogspot.com/2011/05/goh-hotoda-we-love-you.html

"When I interviewed Goh Hotoda in 2007, he told me about mixing the song and coming up with the song’s synth string introduction.

“Even for me, Vogue was my monumental work. As my career was Chicago house music, it was only ever dance music and never crossed over to pop music. The pop music style in 1990 was still white bread candy pop with lots of reverb and many expensive effects all over the place. Our work on Vogue was very contemporary – so simple and very dry. There was nothing like it then - now, the beat style is so popular that everybody is making music like that. But that was the kind of music that I really wanted to work on for such a long time.

Madonna’s original aim was to release the song as special 12” record and so she gave us total freedom. The song was originally produced a bit different at first. I made a different introduction to the mix and recreated a different version only for club play (Bette Davis Dub). It was standard that I make a dub mix after everything was done and Tony (Shimkin) would edit them later. Shep and Madonna really liked the new introduction that I made and so we went back into the studio to re-make the video version based on my Dub Mix and Tony’s edit. The song became an untouchable hit.”"

9 minutes ago, WhitePanda said:

You're both right - ideally the Spotify album should call it the Single Version. 

My argument is that the Single Version is the first original mix of Vogue that they completed and got ready for radio. Then when they heard the Bette Davis Dub, they added that intro to the Single Version to create the Edit which was used for the album.

Again, I wish I remembered my source for this sorry!

Just now, WhitePanda said:

Found that source - thank you @deathproof  for your OG post in another thread (https://madonna-infinity.net/forums/topic/29141-rare-japanese-edit-of-vogue/) -

So I think I'm half right and half wrong: the Single Version is an edit of a longer original mix, but the original mix isn't the I'm Breathless Edit either. See below: 

http://thebeatswithin.blogspot.com/2011/05/goh-hotoda-we-love-you.html

The original version is the one you hear in the multitrack, i.e a 7-minute mix of the "Single Version". So it's pretty clear that's indeed the original version they recorded before remixing the intro. This CD has the instrumental mix of it:

https://www.discogs.com/Madonna-Misc-Instrumentals-TV-Mixes/release/6110132

8 hours ago, WhitePanda said:

I know the explanation for this but I can't remember where I read it sorry (might have been someone on here).

Someone please correct me if I have the wrong info :)

The 7 minute multitrack and instrumental is the original unedited version of Vogue. 

Then it was edited down to the 5 minute version that appeared on the Japanese compilation for release.

Then it was edited it down further and labeled as the Single Version, for radio, since the intro is more radio friendly.

The version on Spotify is that Single Version and not the Japanese one.

It should be like this
Vogue (on I’m Breathless)
Vogue (Single Version (on the EP)
Vogue (Q-Sound Mix) (on TIC and Celebration)

Now can WR pay me to go through and properly label her streaming catalogue?!

I would love to see the I don't search I find remixes that weren't released on Spotify released on June 14th for the 2nd anniversary of the album. They could maybe add the Offer Nissim remix of God control and the Tracy Young remix of Come alive too. Like, these remixes already exist! 

17 minutes ago, New_Boy said:

Paging @luckystar908 for an early Qobuz hint! Funny how they always show New Zealand stuff with a 12-hour difference compared to CET, which is true for half of the year anyway, but it's actually 14 hours for the other half. 

I can't see any new release on Qobuz NZ yet... :sad:

https://www.qobuz.com/nz-en/search?q=madonna&i=boutique&f[fo]=Madonna&s=rdc&page=1

Maybe nothing new this week?

1 minute ago, New_Boy said:

Maybe you need your IP to be there as well, as in, use a VPN? Oh well, two more hours until Spotify...

I didn't need any IP change to see the BS release, you can actually browse every store by changing the language in the URL. At least it works for me, even though I used to have Error 404 type of page by doing that.

2 minutes ago, New_Boy said:

Maybe you need your IP to be there as well, as in, use a VPN? Oh well, two more hours until Spotify...

Sadly I don't think so. There's this new album by a Spanish artist that is released tomorrow and it already shows there if you filter by "Newest":

https://www.qobuz.com/nz-en/interpreter/najwa/download-streaming-albums?s=rdc#results

No Madonna this week. :sad:

• Jackie changed the title to Single Reissues Campaign - I'll Remember + vinyl mixes - OUT NOW
  • Fighter changed the title to Single reissues campaign - Beautiful Stranger HD Music Video OUT NOW
  • Enrico unfeatured this topic