Single Reissues Campaign - Angel - OUT NOW

New_Boy

3 minutes ago, bstranger said:

So, the next single is really Gambler?

I hope so as it is not avaliable on streaming platforms.  I think that M fans would stream a lot more if the material was actually available.  Even making my own FEL tracklisting was difficult with a streaming platform.  Too many missing gems.  It is just easier to use my own collection and Madonna.... gets no stream.  The catalogue adds are really crucial.  

1 minute ago, Sultrysully said:

I hope so as it is not avaliable on streaming platforms.  I think that M fans would stream a lot more if the material was actually available.  Even making my own FEL tracklisting was difficult with a streaming platform.  Too many missing gems.  It is just easier to use my own collection and Madonna.... gets no stream.  The catalogue adds are really crucial.  

You're right. I use Youtube a lot because you can find anything there, but not on Spotify.

I really hope the expanded albuns have some unreleased songs and they get to streams. I don't know if other singers add their unreleased stuff to streams.

I have many favorites unreleased songs I listen a lot like You'll Stay, Beat is so Crazy, Across the Sky, Each Time You Break My Heart, Revenge, Angels with Dirty Faces, Ain't no big deal and many more.

17 minutes ago, Prayer said:

I checked earlier and it was around the Top 50 in Spain too.

I got my German CD-Maxi from "Los 40 principales" (my ex boyfriend in the 90s worked in the local radio station...) but as far as I remember "Bye Bye Baby" was never played in Spain because it didn't enter in the Top 40.

2 hours ago, DickTracy said:

Something interesting to me that I noticed listening to the remixes on the subway into work this morning is that the mixes have America themed names (California, NY, Tallahassee), the NY Hip Hop remix begins with America The Beautiful "oh say can you see" riff and then Madonna's Night On The Club ends with this organ swell "and the home of the brave". Its weird that this ending is on the housey mix, IMO it should be at the end of NY. Maybe they are meant to be listened to together with one beginning and one ending.

My fave version is California Hip Hop, love the extra synths it makes the song more melodic. 

That's actually "The Star Spangled Banner" (our national anthem) not "America The Beautiful", FYI. 

11 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

I got my German CD-Maxi from "Los 40 principales" (my ex boyfriend in the 90s worked in the local radio station...) but as far as I remember "Bye Bye Baby" was never played in Spain because it didn't enter in the Top 40.

I meant it was Top 50 on iTunes Spain earlier today :cute:

According to Wiki it never entered the official Spanish charts back then, no.

3 minutes ago, Prayer said:

I meant it was Top 50 on iTunes Spain earlier today :cute:

According to Wiki it never entered the official Spanish charts back then, no.

Oh, I know you were talking  about iTunes. I mean that Bye Bye Baby was a "invisible" single in Spain in 1993. I'm sorry. I should have explained it better

3 hours ago, Robertthenurse said:

What's this mix you talk about? I always loved the MTV version. 

When Daniel Abraham was contacted in 93 to do a remix for Rain he also was commissioned to mix Fever and Bye Bye Baby, although this last one remains unreleased. You can see the remix is real because it's listed on his website. Some belive the MTV/Girlie version is based on that mix. Maybe one day we're able to confirm or not this :tongue:

On 12/1/2022 at 2:05 PM, rlittler81 said:

I’ve always loved the Rick Does Madonna’s Dub… so good! Love the nods to “Vogue” in the house mixes as well!

Yes, absolutely. The vocal mixes always sounded a bit cheesy but the dub works perfectly as a good old 90s house track.

7 hours ago, MPowered said:

Has anyone actually taken the time to tell us what the differences between the hip-hop mixes of Bye Bye Baby are? 😅 That would actually be really nice.

7 hours ago, steady75 said:

The titles

Jokes apart, NY / California and Florida hip hop always have had their specificities and the BBB remixes play around those. NY beat is a little harder and the remix incorporates a piano gimmick throughout reminding Wu Tang clan style, ending with a big fat old school breakbeat. The California remix is smoother, somehow closer to the album version with the synth layer and wobbly sfx, and brings the piano gimmick on the break at the end only. Hardcore version is rougher than NY with almost only beats and bass. Tallahassee is somewhere between NY and California (not geographically though 🫠) but I never heard anything "pop" in it (unless "pop" has a different meaning among producers in Florida). All those remix titles might be insiders jokes. Maybe the label was also testing some proto-geolocation of airplay by referring to designated US areas/states.

It's all quite subtle and redundant. I always wondered what M's intention was on this maxi but I doubt she a lot of input as she was probably very busy with TGS rehearsals and promo. Some label guy got a kick out of it at a time when maxi singles were always filled with a lot of (almost) identical remixes made by a couple of producers with a hit or two, trying to bend and break Billboards genre charts. 

IMHO Bye Bye Baby is one of the weaker tracks on Erotica, not becaue it's bad but because it's too repetitive to the point of being annoying. It's one of the Erotica tracks that needed serious trimming because their lenghts kill their vibes. 

As for the remixes, the hip hop ones sund so alike and the house ones don't work and sounded really behind when they were released (it's more 1991/92 than 93) but i love the Dub, it's like a mix of all the house and New Jack Sounds of the time.

The best BBB version is the live Girlie Show one, suddenly a lifeless song became alive and kicked ass.

6 minutes ago, PlayPause said:

Jokes apart, NY / California and Florida hip hop always have had their specificities and the BBB remixes play around those. NY beat is a little harder and the remix incorporates a piano gimmick throughout reminding Wu Tang clan style, ending with a big fat old school breakbeat. The California remix is smoother, somehow closer to the album version with the synth layer and wobbly sfx, and brings the piano gimmick on the break at the end only. Hardcore version is rougher than NY with almost only beats and bass. Tallahassee is somewhere between NY and California (not geographically though 🫠) but I never heard anything "pop" in it (unless "pop" has a different meaning among producers in Florida). All those remix titles might be insiders jokes. Maybe the label was also testing some proto-geolocation of airplay by referring to designated US areas/states.

It's all quite subtle and redundant. I always wondered what M's intention was on this maxi but I doubt she a lot of input as she was probably very busy with TGS rehearsals and promo. Some label guy got a kick out of it at a time when maxi singles were always filled with a lot of (almost) identical remixes made by a couple of producers with a hit or two, trying to bend and break Billboards genre charts. 

The California one sounds Tupac-ish

6 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

Bye Bye Baby is one of the weaker tracks on Erotica, not becaue it's bad but because it's too repetitive to the point of being annoying

There are handful of nursery rhymes / childish, repetitive songs on her albums. Mostly fillers but a couple of them ended being released as single or performed live because they're supposed to be catchy and likable. Some are gems, like Dear Jessie, others, like BBB, are very forgettable.

8 minutes ago, PlayPause said:

There are handful of nursery rhymes / childish, repetitive songs on her albums. Mostly fillers but a couple of them ended being released as single or performed live because they're supposed to be catchy and likable. Some are gems, like Dear Jessie, others, like BBB, are very forgettable.

It's like a link to I'm Breathless with the compressed voice like on Now I'm Following You II, like her vision was making a retro 30's track with a urban beat. When i first heard it, it reminded me a bit of Lil Louie's French Kiss musically.

3 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

It's like a link to I'm Breathless with the compressed voice like on Now I'm Following You II, like her vision was making a retro 30's track with a urban beat. When i first heard it, it reminded me a bit of Lil Louie's French Kiss musically.

She's very much aware that she isn't the greatest vocalist but she likes to play with her voice though, which is still very plastic, like her experiments with a wide range of microphones, pitch, vocoder and so on, like the telephone effect on BBB, and later when she had lyric training. Prince and George Michael, who were more gifted from the start, did that too.

1 hour ago, PlayPause said:

Interestingly I noticed listening to this EP last night that the Tallahassee Pop mix uses the album version bass line whereas the other mixes all have a different bass line. There are subtle differences with the Hip Hop mixes but they’re just variations on a theme. It’s all about that Dub Mix for me. Wonder whatever happened to the “Stupid-Dops” Mix????

12 minutes ago, rlittler81 said:

Interestingly I noticed listening to this EP last night that the Tallahassee Pop mix uses the album version bass line whereas the other mixes all have a different bass line. There are subtle differences with the Hip Hop mixes but they’re just variations on a theme. It’s all about that Dub Mix for me. Wonder whatever happened to the “Stupid-Dops” Mix????

Oh nice, there is definitely something going on with the bass lines in those remixes. The original bass line on Tallahassee makes it pop vs hip hop on the others. Thanks.

Background vocals also sound louder or less present on the different hip hop remixes. California, the most melodic one, features more harmonies.

• Jackie changed the title to Single Reissues Campaign - Angel - OUT NOW