That concert Prince gave for Madonna in 2015 at Paisley Park

Roland Barthes

• Roland Barthes changed the title to That concert Prince gave for Madonna in 2015 at Paisley Park

It's rumoured "Dinner With Delores" is about Madonna in response to the comments she made about having dinner with Prince in The Face magazine in 1994. I think the 90's were a time when a lot of artists had "beef" with each other but I don't think Madonna and Prince really disliked each other, they were just very different but obviously respected each other. Prince said Madonna had great business sense when it came to her touring. 

On 4/21/2021 at 12:46 PM, Roland Barthes said:

It was probably shared back then but since it's the fifth anniversary of Prince passing i thought it would be nice to share about  that moment again :

"When Prince launched into the next song, “Ain’t About to Stop,” off his latest album HITNRUN Phase One, I decided to try to discretely scan the room to see where Madonna was taking in the show. I had expected her to hang back a bit, or maybe be sitting in her roped-off area, but once I stepped a little closer to the stage I realized that she was not only in the front row, but had perched on the edge of the stage at Prince’s feet, looking up at him adoringly as he sang.

There is a face that people make when they are watching Prince play guitar; it’s a gleeful expression that combines the joy of going down a roller coaster with the realization that you are witnessing a moment that might never be recreated by another being that lives on this beautiful Earth. It turns out Madonna also makes that face when she is watching Prince play. As the band stretched out into another jam and Prince ripped into a soul-levitating guitar solo, her mouth relaxed into an awestruck gape, revealing a shiny gold grill underneath her perfect red lipstick.

Prince, too, seemed a little awestruck by Madge, appearing nervous as he flitted around the stage to different instruments and taking great care to get the lighting, sound, and chord changes just right. It completely shifted the energy at the Park, which usually pulls like a magnet toward Prince’s spot in the room, and it was a rare chance to see two megastars share an intimate moment and a series of knowing smiles."

More here : https://blog.thecurrent.org/2015/10/prince-serenades-madonna-at-late-night-paisley-park-gig/

i never get tired reading this and it gives me chills thinking about it.

Prince didn't hate Madonna, their relation was just like they describe it in Love Song, love/hate like brothers and sisters. Madonna was already his first choice for Under The Cherry Moon even before Graffiti Bridge. 

It's not only By Alien Means that Prince wrote with Madonna in mind, Grand Progression and even the sublime Power Fantastic were supposed to be sung by Madonna's character in Graffiti Bridge. 

I love the story of the Radio City concert in 1993 as recounted by Jose & Luis, they had a limo chase in Manhattan, Madonna's VS Prince's. Sadly Prince thought that Madonna was favorited by Warner, just like siblings with their parents, maybe his anger in the mid 90's came from this. Considering Madonna had to countersue Warner in the early 00's because Warner sued her (regarding Maverick they wanted to snatch it from her) maybe his views changed. Prince has been in close contact with Guy Oseary for over a decade. He also becae very close to Herb Ritts after a photoshoot they did in 1992. Since Ritts was super close to Madonna they had friends in common.

On the other hand he truly hated Janet. It's supposed to be about "What have you done for me lately", Prince always thought  Jam & Lewis stole the instrumental from a tape they worked on together before he fired them from The Time. But why being mad at Janet and not Jam & Lewis then ? According to a friend who is a longtime rock critic and whom interviewed all these people, he told me that Janet called Prince a creep and the hate was mutual. 

After Prince passed awayone of his bodyguards told Billboard that he remembered him walking around Paisley Park screaming "Fuck Janet Jackson !" after she signed her deal with Virgin. In a radio interview after Michael died, he was asked about Janet and how he would describe her and said "sister of a genius".