Happy 18th Anniversary “American Life” ??

Ayham

Last year and this one they mentioned MDNA... But I think the most common celebrations are always dedicated to Virgin, True Blue, Prayer + Vogue + Blond, Erotica sometimes and that's it. This is one of the reasons that makes people think that she retired after Confessions.

And yes, on the American Life anniversary, the mentioned Like A Prayer again. 

13 minutes ago, nito84bcn said:

Last year and this one they mentioned MDNA... But I think the most common celebrations are always dedicated to Virgin, True Blue, Prayer + Vogue + Blond, Erotica sometimes and that's it. This is one of the reasons that makes people think that she retired after Confessions.

And yes, on the American Life anniversary, the mentioned Like A Prayer again. 

Weird. ?

Semior year of high school. I slept outside Tower Records overnight to get a wristband. Then you had to come back like 12 hours later or something and wait...another day... holding your spot on line to get in. 

I was in the second row. She looked absolutely beautiful. Tiny!!! I had a blqck jacket qith red stripes on the sleeve. She touched my hand during "Hollywood". I loved the album from start to finish. So seeing any of those songs that close up live was amazing. X-static Process!!!! WHEW!!

The setup for the signing of records was horrendous. Basically if you were in the front of the line to see the show, you were in back of the line for signing. They let in firefighters and extra people. Word spread through the line still there that she had left. People were in SHAMBLES lol. I was disappointed for a second and then got over it. She touched me! Fuck it lol

One thing I will never forget about this era was how much her loyal fan base was vocally not here for it. So to watch it gain the respect it deserved over the years is nice.

I could write an essay (too late!) about all the choices of this era. Some her best (American Life director's cut is her most important video ever), some baffling (The Gap...). But she took a major, major risk with this album when she could have kept on coasting on the ROL/Music wave. Thats what separates her from others.

P.s. the remixes for the album are among her best. What Peter did to "Mother & Father" and "Nothing Fails". We haven't seen those kind of reworks since.

I also just recently heard the DUB of Felix Da Housecat's "Die Another Day" mix and...wtf....its even better than the vocal mix! It also low key tips off "Homosapien" by Pete Shelley and I've never seen it mentioned. I kinda wish he and M had worked on some original tracks. Lived Mount Sims mixes too. She could have done a great straight up electroclash album at the time if ahe wanted.

And I still have my wristband if she wants to send me that Xstatic Process book :)

p.p.s I think Guy R had a lot to do with her pulling the original AL video. 

^ Your experience of waiting in line as a die-hard fan to get a wristband - and then being told to back off and wait in another line with your goddamned wristband sounds familiar. :bothered:Better have a strong bladder or an attitude (after having to go for a pee) to get back to where you were originally. I have never pushed over the lines  (after Barcelona 6/2001 when we were told to sit our asses DOWN to let others see the show) to get closer to her than I ought to be, but I guess that's just me. 

It's an awesome and much underappreciated album! I think my favorite tracks are: I'm So Stupid, Nothing Fails, X-Static Process, and Easy Ride. Easy Ride is easily one of her best tracks to date (the lyrics are incredible!) I also love the music videos that went along with this era, particularly Hollywood.

• Ayham changed the title to Happy 18th Anniversary “American Life” 🇺🇸