Lossless Streaming is about to go Mainstream

RUADJAI

Will your listening habits change after lossless streaming goes mainstream?  

78 members voted

1. 1. Will your listening habits change after lossless streaming goes mainstream?

• I will UPGRADE to lossless streaming as my ONLY form of listening
    • I will UPGRADE to lossless streaming as my PRIMARY source of listening but will still buy physical copies for collecting
    • I will continue streaming in STANDARD quality
    • I do not stream now but will start with Lossless Streaming
    • I do not and will not stream music
    • I ALREADY stream in Lossless with another brand but will switch to either Spotify or Apple
    • I ALREADY stream in Lossless with another brand and will stay with them
  2. 2. Will this change your buying habits of physical copies?

• Yes, I will NOT BUY physical copies anymore
    • Yes, I will ONLY BUY for collecting purposes
    • No, I will CONTINUE to buy physical copies
    • No, I DON'T BUY physical copies anyway

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Prayer

Interesting topic.  You forgot one option: buying digital music. I know is a thing of the past but some still do it. I do with releases or artists I want to support, cause they get more money from it and I like to edit metadata and stuff. I think it's a good thing that HD audio arrives to Spotify and Apple Music so people who want that option have it available. They already have the option to do it, as they receive lossless files from the record companies. It's just a matter of offering the

Prayer

2 (or even 3 in some cases) CD singles back in the day was greed from the companies, yeah, but also because of the rules of the charts, especially in the UK. If I remember well, from 1997 or 1998, CD singles above 20 minutes in total were not considered for the UK singles charts. So if you have, let's say, 2 b-sides and 3 remixes, most artists released a b-sides single (CD 1) and a remixes single (CD 2) - and that way they managed to count 2 copies sold for the charts.  If the remixes

amscity

I think I'm an ET because I simply don't use streaming at all! And the reason is that basically I don't give up my personal library to replace it for something I don't have control over. I mean, I'm a perfectionist. I have every album, every single, every version, everything organized, in the best quality possible. Streaming make us limited to what they offer.  Madonna's discography available on streaming is a mess! They've changed the original tracks, they've changed the artworks

Posted Images

Honestly, it's a very interesting discussion. 

In general, it's good owning lossless files because that's the intended quality, and you can safely switch between lossless formats. I prefer them from a philosophical point, since you can't recreate the lossless files from a lossy one, but vice versa is possible. Don't care much about streaming, besides the fact that making something available via streaming means you'll be getting it in lossless quality through legal or less legal means. Anyone with rudimentary Chrome skills can find a download link for a lossless file on Qobuz streaming. Not to mention the fact there's even more sophisticated ways to do so from other platforms as well.

Madonna-wise... I'm extremely grateful for the reissue campaign. I've put purchasing Madonna single CDs on hold since a) I always felt her physicals were kind of poor and b) she won't make any money from it anyway, since I usually buy pre-owned copies. I'll be happy with getting just one CD for each single, and save a lot of money. So yeah, I'm not really covered by the poll? Just a really frugal approach to getting her works... For example, why would someone want all three CD singles for "American Pie"? They all feature basically the same cover and CD2 has tracks from other CDs. And so on... getting that as a single EP on streaming feels like correcting a misdeed, not something to be frowned upon.

If affordable and/or pretty => go get it

else => wait for streaming, high quality download or a third option

Albums are a completely different beast, you get a ton of new tracks for modest money, and they're surely a great thing to own. 

14 minutes ago, New_Boy said:

For example, why would someone want all three CD singles for "American Pie"? They all feature basically the same cover and CD2 has tracks from other CDs. And so on... getting that as a single EP on streaming feels like correcting a misdeed

2 (or even 3 in some cases) CD singles back in the day was greed from the companies, yeah, but also because of the rules of the charts, especially in the UK.

If I remember well, from 1997 or 1998, CD singles above 20 minutes in total were not considered for the UK singles charts. So if you have, let's say, 2 b-sides and 3 remixes, most artists released a b-sides single (CD 1) and a remixes single (CD 2) - and that way they managed to count 2 copies sold for the charts. :)

If the remixes were long, within the 20 minutes rule you could only fit the regular version and 2 remixes.

It was much harder back then to get a Top 5 or even #1 position with just one CD single than artists who released two versions.

Those were different times with different markets, it looks a bit useless today because the industry has changed so much and today you can just upload big EPs and albums without worrying about chart rules. This era has also made songs and remixes much shorter because when you count plays it has to switch faster to the next one... Sad times, even though not all artists have fallen for it. This is why we got old school :)

This is a bit left field but I’d be interested to know if when making certain Madonna playlists do people still limit the run time to a CD length? 80 minutes or are you free of all those time constraints? 

There is something beautiful about having to make the perfect playlist with in that time frame but with Madonna especially there is so much left out. 

In the interest of protecting the planet I really would like to see an end to mass CD production and have these items really really limited in production for collectors only. 

When you look at the pandemic you can see that if pushed or forced people WILL change their habits. The carbon footprint of printing making and shipping all that dead plastic. 
No one really buys DVD and Blu Rays anymore and the same should happen with those. It really is time. 

I’m not sure if it’s commercially viable but I’ve always liked the idea of an artists specific app that would sit on your phone on your laptop / smart TV

LIKE APP PRAYER: The Madonna App

It would become a place where ticket presales for concerts were sold and exchanged to stop scouters. The platform would have a dedicated content creator. Previously unavailable live albums and archive stuff that was filmed. 

Complete digital music catalogue

All live tours video and audio

HQ videos

Remix videos

Promo Tours

Interviews

Films

Documentaries

Demos

Photoshoots archives 

Unreleased remixes

Social Feeds

TV Show performances

Forum

Official Calendars

Scrapbook

Biog

Entries from her journals from years ago. 

Tour ideas and concepts.
Rehearsal footage. Set list curation.

She filmed everything. Why is it sitting in storage? 

Magazine spreads.

Just everything you can imagine. 

Exclusive content. She has so much stuff now that it’s almost silly not to. Why wait til you and all of us are dead?

An entire museum of Madonna. 
I can genuinely see artists going down this route in the next five years because the streaming platforms do not pay and artists want their money. 

initial subscription fee and then recurring fee of day £5 a month. I’d pay  that for sure. The convenience. All this downloading , hunting, collecting. It’s 2021. Hand it to me high res and now mama. Take my coins. 

39 minutes ago, steady75 said:

This is a bit left field but I’d be interested to know if when making certain Madonna playlists do people still limit the run time to a CD length? 80 minutes or are you free of all those time constraints? 

There is something beautiful about having to make the perfect playlist with in that time frame but with Madonna especially there is so much left out. 

In the interest of protecting the planet I really would like to see an end to mass CD production and have these items really really limited in production for collectors only. 

When you look at the pandemic you can see that if pushed or forced people WILL change their habits. The carbon footprint of printing making and shipping all that dead plastic. 
No one really buys DVD and Blu Rays anymore and the same should happen with those. It really is time. 

I’m not sure if it’s commercially viable but I’ve always liked the idea of an artists specific app that would sit on your phone on your laptop / smart TV

LIKE APP PRAYER: The Madonna App

It would become a place where ticket presales for concerts were sold and exchanged to stop scouters. The platform would have a dedicated content creator. Previously unavailable live albums and archive stuff that was filmed. 

Complete digital music catalogue

All live tours video and audio

HQ videos

Remix videos

Promo Tours

Interviews

Films

Documentaries

Demos

Photoshoots archives 

Unreleased remixes

Social Feeds

TV Show performances

Forum

Official Calendars

Scrapbook

Biog

Entries from her journals from years ago. 

Tour ideas and concepts.
Rehearsal footage. Set list curation.

She filmed everything. Why is it sitting in storage? 

Magazine spreads.

Just everything you can imagine. 

Exclusive content. She has so much stuff now that it’s almost silly not to. Why wait til you and all of us are dead?

An entire museum of Madonna. 
I can genuinely see artists going down this route in the next five years because the streaming platforms do not pay and artists want their money. 

initial subscription fee and then recurring fee of day £5 a month. I’d pay  that for sure. The convenience. All this downloading , hunting, collecting. It’s 2021. Hand it to me high res and now mama. Take my coins. 

£5 a month??!!

jimmy fallon lol GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Our Creamy Smooth Pop Icon Goddess ain't gonna settle for that. "This ain't no thrift store" I can hear her yelling.

Per day you must have meant.

I think it's about time lossless streaming gets into the mainstream. I personally don't use any streaming services, but this is a very good thing for those that do. I am very much happy with how I consume music, without streaming services (which I do still have some problems with). I will also still be buying physical copies, I don't see that stopping any time soon. It's a completely different experience to actually buy something, look at the book, put it on the turntable or in the disc drive. With streaming services it feels like you're leasing a digital music library, which just doesn't feel as special.

I hate streaming. Especially with movies. A 4k Stream contains half the data of a disc. I was Watching Lord of the rings on 4K streaming it was about 43 MBS a second, on Disc its around 60 - 70 mbs. Also some 5.1 Blu Rays have an actual 7.1 mix on them.

1 example is titanic. It has a 7.1 soundtrack but its not listed. Just a 5.1.?‍♂️

Everything is being censored and changed in film I mean, they pulled a golden Girls episode for gods sake.?‍♂️

If I have a Flac file or wav ill burn it to a M blue ray data Disc for archive. Even the Muppets arn't safe.

5 hours ago, Craigypants said:

I hate streaming. Especially with movies. A 4k Stream contains half the data of a disc. I was Watching Lord of the rings on 4K streaming it was about 43 MBS a second, on Disc its around 60 - 70 mbs. Also some 5.1 Blu Rays have an actual 7.1 mix on them.

1 example is titanic. It has a 7.1 soundtrack but its not listed. Just a 5.1.?‍♂️

Everything is being censored and changed in film I mean, they pulled a golden Girls episode for gods sake.?‍♂️

If I have a Flac file or wav ill burn it to a M blue ray data Disc for archive. Even the Muppets arn't safe.

OH MY GOD!!! A whole episode because of blackface?! Where will we be able to get our blackface content from now on?!?!!

15 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

You don't need "dogs ears". You only notice the difference if you have a really expensive Stereo system.  

Mine is pretty expensive and I mostly use the BT option (which compromises the original audio quality), I also have a turntable that sounds pretty great but I'm that kind of person that prefers listening to playlists and remixes so I compile them on my USB and it ends up being much more convenient. The official remixes saved on my laptop are on average 256 kbps AAC btw

I don't really stream most of the time. I have a huge physical and lossless digital music collection (I estimate I own at minimum 10,000 CDs, if you include CD singles), so I don't really have the need to stream.  I don't like not owning my music. But I think it's great that Apple is finally embracing lossless streaming. Hopefully they will sell lossless downloads as well. 

Edited by superbu (see edit history)

22 hours ago, Prayer said:

If I remember well, from 1997 or 1998, CD singles above 20 minutes in total were not considered for the UK singles charts. So if you have, let's say, 2 b-sides and 3 remixes, most artists released a b-sides single (CD 1) and a remixes single (CD 2) - and that way they managed to count 2 copies sold for the charts. :)

If the remixes were long, within the 20 minutes rule you could only fit the regular version and 2 remixes.

It was much harder back then to get a Top 5 or even #1 position with just one CD single than artists who released two versions.

Interesting. I remember in the late '80s some import 5-inch CD singles actually fading the songs out early to accommodate a 20-minute running time. (Paula Abdul's "Straight Up" is one I can think of.)  I always thought it was because 3-inch CD singles could only hold 20 minutes of music, and the record companies would just make one master to use for all the European countries that could be used on both 3-inch and five-inch singles. But maybe the real reason was something to do with chart rules.

On 5/4/2021 at 6:27 AM, RUADJAI said:

OH MY GOD!!! A whole episode because of blackface?! Where will we be able to get our blackface content from now on?!?!!

Sassy Red Wine GIF by Married At First SightNo and How dare you.

Must be reginal. I have no idea what your talking about. So mud masks and those oh so popular Charcoal face masks are racist?

I don't think that's how that works.??

As a Mixed race person myself, I find that appalling.

4 minutes ago, Craigypants said:

Sassy Red Wine GIF by Married At First SightNo and How dare you.

Must be reginal. I have no idea what your talking about. So mud masks and those oh so popular Charcoal face masks are racist?

I don't think that's how that works.??

As a Mixed race person myself, I find that appalling.

Mud masks which are used to crack racial jokes. :owy: I'm not saying it should just be taken off streaming but let's not leave details out. 

Artists make their money through streaming now. Madonna was knocked from the top spot for Rebel Heart because the majority of people stream. At least they're putting effort into physical releases now. They have to in order to get people to actually buy them. I love when they come with books or bonus material.  I even love that cassettes made a comeback. The sad thing is there aren't many big music chains anymore to buy them at. You have to order online. I miss going to a shop and looking through imports. 

Yeah streaming is basically advertising for merch and tour revenue. 
Streaming has literally made songs jingles for live shows. 

It’s kinda awful. There’s only been such a backlash this year because the live events haven’t been able to go ahead so artist have had literally nothing because only the really really big streamed songs generate revenue and even that is a fraction of what physical sales would have done. There are one hit wonder artists from the 70’s 80’s and 90’s still living off the royalties of one single. That is a fantasy now. 

• 2 weeks later...