Lossless Streaming is about to go Mainstream

RUADJAI

Will your listening habits change after lossless streaming goes mainstream?  

78 members voted

1. 1. Will your listening habits change after lossless streaming goes mainstream?

• I will UPGRADE to lossless streaming as my ONLY form of listening
    • I will UPGRADE to lossless streaming as my PRIMARY source of listening but will still buy physical copies for collecting
    • I will continue streaming in STANDARD quality
    • I do not stream now but will start with Lossless Streaming
    • I do not and will not stream music
    • I ALREADY stream in Lossless with another brand but will switch to either Spotify or Apple
    • I ALREADY stream in Lossless with another brand and will stay with them
  2. 2. Will this change your buying habits of physical copies?

• Yes, I will NOT BUY physical copies anymore
    • Yes, I will ONLY BUY for collecting purposes
    • No, I will CONTINUE to buy physical copies
    • No, I DON'T BUY physical copies anyway

6 minutes ago, deathproof said:

I know lol

but they repeatedly say “not supported by Bluetooth.” Which means any kind of Bluetooth device won’t be playing lossless

So Apple Music is going to offer lossless music, but you will only be able to hear it in lossless thought old-style headphones (which they don't support anymore because they removed the jack)? 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Prayer

Interesting topic.  You forgot one option: buying digital music. I know is a thing of the past but some still do it. I do with releases or artists I want to support, cause they get more money from it and I like to edit metadata and stuff. I think it's a good thing that HD audio arrives to Spotify and Apple Music so people who want that option have it available. They already have the option to do it, as they receive lossless files from the record companies. It's just a matter of offering the

Prayer

2 (or even 3 in some cases) CD singles back in the day was greed from the companies, yeah, but also because of the rules of the charts, especially in the UK. If I remember well, from 1997 or 1998, CD singles above 20 minutes in total were not considered for the UK singles charts. So if you have, let's say, 2 b-sides and 3 remixes, most artists released a b-sides single (CD 1) and a remixes single (CD 2) - and that way they managed to count 2 copies sold for the charts.  If the remixes

amscity

I think I'm an ET because I simply don't use streaming at all! And the reason is that basically I don't give up my personal library to replace it for something I don't have control over. I mean, I'm a perfectionist. I have every album, every single, every version, everything organized, in the best quality possible. Streaming make us limited to what they offer.  Madonna's discography available on streaming is a mess! They've changed the original tracks, they've changed the artworks

Posted Images

As an audiophile I find this exciting. Tidal was a nice try but their algorithms just suck, as far as suggesting music and creating radio stations. 

I use an old iPhone as a music player which is which is plug in to a proper Harman Kardon receiver and big wooden speakers. Nothing beats enjoying music that way, especially in lossless formats. 

if you’re just listening over mediocre headphones or non-separated or cheap Bluetooth speakers, you won’t notice a big difference in quality. 

6 hours ago, Let'sGetUnconsciousHoney said:

I'm still confused by this, sorry ahaha

So AirPods have a special kind of Bluetooth that can carry lossless music, but other brands don't? 

No bluetooth headphones support lossless... even AirPods. There is a RUMOR that apple may allow in a future software update music to pass through "Airplay" when connected to wifi, which would hypothetically allow lossless without wires. But as for now... if you want to listen to lossless of any kind... it needs to be through the speakers on your device or through wired headphones. 

(ooops, I didn't realize deathproof already answered)

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, PaperFaces said:

Nothing by Madonna in Dolby Atmos. Too bad. 

I need to listen o songs written for Dolby Atmos... Im not much impressed with the effect they use to regular songs that were not written for spacial audio. But Lossless sounds awesome even through bluetooth. Its a night and day difference for me. I know some can't tell, but I am SO thankful. 

53 minutes ago, deathproof said:

Okay so

what is the difference between:

”Apple Digital Master”
“Lossless”
”Dolby Atmos”

I am seeing some albums with just one of those, and some with all 3.

Apple Digital Master = iTunes Plus 256 AAC quality but converted from the Hi-Res Audio (24-bit) and mastered for that format. This was known as "Mastered for iTunes" before.

Lossless = the original file delivered by the record company. Minimum at CD (16-bit) quality.

Dolby Atmos = I haven't tried it yet but this is Spatial Audio right? (Q-Sound vibes :smile:).

6 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Apple Digital Master = iTunes Plus 256 AAC quality but converted from the Hi-Res Audio (24-bit) and mastered for that format. This was known as "Mastered for iTunes" before.

Lossless = the original file delivered by the record company. Minimum at CD (16-bit) quality.

Dolby Atmos = I haven't tried it yet but this is Spatial Audio right? (Q-Sound vibes :smile:).

if Apple digital master is 256, then how can that be lossless???

5 minutes ago, deathproof said:

It's not the three formats at the same time, if an album has the three logos it means it's available in those three different qualities for you to choose: Apple Digital Master, Lossless or Dolby Atmos. I think you can select it on the album page or in Settings-Music.

1 hour ago, deathproof said:

Apple digital master means the producer made the music with the bitrate in mind… so nothing is really missing when played at that quality…. But if it’s also available in lossless then it would be a separate file. 

it’s a little weird. I deleted all my downloaded music and am having to redownload so I have everything in lossless on my device. 

18 minutes ago, RUADJAI said:

Apple digital master means the producer made the music with the bitrate in mind… so nothing is really missing when played at that quality…. But if it’s also available in lossless then it would be a separate file. 

it’s a little weird. I deleted all my downloaded music and am having to redownload so I have everything in lossless on my device. 

So if something is posted with Apple Digital Master, Lossless, and Dolby Atmos, you can only play 1 of those options, not all 3?

1 hour ago, deathproof said:

So if something is posted with Apple Digital Master, Lossless, and Dolby Atmos, you can only play 1 of those options, not all 3?

You would specify in your settings what your preference is for Streaming on Wi-Fi, streaming on cellular, and downloads. I believe the spacial part would take place on device.