How much would you pay to Zoom with Madonna?

Voguerista

Not sure how this will work, but, I don't think I'd pay to zoom with Madonna or anyone. Now buying a new album or tickets to a new concert is a different story. :)

Zooming With the Stars: Startup Bright Launches Ticketed Live-Video Events With Celebs and Creators

How much would you pay to have an intimate video-conferencing session with Madonna, Amy Schumer, Laura Dern, Jennifer Lopez or Judd Apatow?

Bright, a startup founded by investor and music manager Guy Oseary (whose clients include Madonna and U2) and former YouTube exec Michael Powers, is going to test the market for live, ticketed events hosted by celebrities, music artists and creators.

Launching Tuesday, Bright (brightlive.com) is built on top of the Zoom Video Communications platform, which has soared in usage during the COVID-19 pandemic. Bright initially is listing paid events from more than 200 talent partners, with each session capped at a maximum of 100 participants.

Bright’s roster of partners includes: Madonna, Ashton Kutcher, Naomi Campbell, Shawn Mendes, Amy Schumer, D-Nice, Charli and Dixie D’Amelio, Laura Dern, Judd Apatow, Deepak Chopra, Diplo, Kenny Smith, Kane Brown, Drew and Jonathan Scott (“Property Brothers”), Lindsey Vonn, Rachel Zoe, Cesar Millan, Diego Boneta, Tal Fishman, Ryan Prunty, Demi Skipper, Charlotte Mckinney, Jason Bolden, Yris Palmer, Cat & Nat, Ronnie2K, Chef Ludo Lefebvre and Jonathan Mannion.

The individual talent set the ticket prices; Bright will keep 20% of the fees. For now, the site does not list prices for tickets.

In the Bright sessions, fans will be able to directly ask the hosts questions and make requests from a VIP area. In some cases, attendees may be invited to join the hosts on the “Bright Stage” for direct exchanges.

Among the first sessions are Laura Dern’s “Tell Your Story,” in which she and guests will discuss the paths that brought them to where they are today; Kane Brown’s “Record This: Nashville Edition,” focusing on the talent behind the hottest country music records and tours; former NBA star Kenny Smith’s “Champions Talk” featuring interviews with his favorite athletes; “Property Brothers” Jonathan and Drew Scott’s “Room x Room” on home improvement and design; and Jennifer Lopez’s “Skincare Secrets.”

According to Powers, Bright’s CEO, the company has lined up more than 1,500 additional partners for future sessions.

“Our goal at Bright is to create the biggest classroom for leveling up your life by combining the best of live conversations with incredible talent and entertaining learning experiences,” said Powers. He previously was a sales management exec at YouTube, which he noted historically has seen 20% of video views generated by learning and educational content from creators.

Sound Ventures, Oseary’s investment firm co-founded with Kutcher, is a lead investor in Bright. Other backers include RIT Capital, Globo, Norwest Venture Partners and Slow Ventures, along with celebrity and entrepreneur angel investors. (Powell wouldn’t say how much seed funding Bright has raised.)

“The idea for Bright was born from years of working to empower artists in connecting directly to the audience that support them,” Oseary said in a statement. His portfolio of investments includes Airbnb, Uber, Spotify, Robinhood, Pinterest, GOAT, Clubhouse, Airtable, Gitlab and Pearpop.

Powers, who joined YouTube in 2006 about a year after it was founded, was part of the team that launched YouTube Channels — the service’s first run at funding content — with key partners. Most recently, he was senior VP and GM at CBS Interactive for more than four years.

“Top talent obviously not going to [launch paid live video events] just for revenue,” Powers said. “They want to interact with their biggest fans and supporters, or support an organization they care about.”

Other members of Bright’s executive team include VP of talent and partnerships Kaitlyn Powell, former head of talent at live-streaming platform Caffeine; Sadia Harper, former user-experience strategist at Instagram, who is head of creator and product strategy; director of creative programming Jeben Berg, an alum of YouTube and Maker Studios; design lead Heather Grates, formerly product designer at Pinterest; and head of finance Jarad Backlund, who previously worked in finance roles at Apple, Google and Facebook.

I think it sounds cool. Much better than a standard meet and greet where you just get a picture and an autograph and would be less expensive. As long as it’s not too expensive.  It shouldn’t be more than $25 
At least this shows talent where artists are talking about their art and music, not just posing. 
I’m a writer and a lot of bookstores have events where you pay to hear authors talk. 
Time is money. Why are artists expected to do everything for free? 

2 hours ago, Jet said:

I had one with Shakespears sister last year and I was under the impression the select few taking part would be able to talk to them and ask questions etc but no, we all had to sit quietly and watch while some music journalist asked the (boring) questions, it was a bit of a let down tbh.

Melanie C. did one. There was a moderator who picked people to ask questions but fans did get to ask questions. 
To get entrance you just had to buy a copy of her  album. 

5 hours ago, ScottyX said:

I honestly dont want to talk to her in person. I think I would be too disappointed , having put her on a pedestal all my life.

But if there were a price, free.

Yeah. She'd be awkward as fuck to talk to. She'd say something terrible about your weight (not YOUR weight) or ugly shirt or .. do you have a small dick? I don't think she'd be able to have a decent, thoughtful conversation with strangers that adore her. Just take how she interacted with fans during MX Tour or Tears of a Clown and .. that's her in a nutshell. Not great in that capacity.

29 minutes ago, captainjay said:

Yeah. She'd be awkward as fuck to talk to. She'd say something terrible about your weight (not YOUR weight) or ugly shirt or .. do you have a small dick? I don't think she'd be able to have a decent, thoughtful conversation with strangers that adore her. Just take how she interacted with fans during MX Tour or Tears of a Clown and .. that's her in a nutshell. Not great in that capacity.

"I prefer this mystery. It cancels out my misery."

10 hours ago, Glindathegood said:

I think it sounds cool. Much better than a standard meet and greet where you just get a picture and an autograph and would be less expensive. As long as it’s not too expensive.  It shouldn’t be more than $25 

Dua Lipa's Studio 2054 had a virtual meet and greet over zoom after the show (UK time!) package that was 150$, and it sold out!!! And there was a disclaimer that they're not responsible for the connection timeouts, so if you get dropped, you lose your money lmaooo

My friends paid for a 2 min video message from a B list celebrity for my birthday, I would love something like that from Madonna, but a Zoom call, I think she would be rude, indifferent and I don't like her sense of humour anyway, plus I don't know what I would say, other than to thank her for her music and inspiration, which I am sure she has heard 1000 times before. I wouldn't pay anything for it.

I think it’s a cool idea. The only problem I see is the moderator. A lot of times when fans are invited to ask artists questions the moderator screens out all the really interesting questions and only chooses boring ones like how do you balance motherhood and your career, or even worse asks most of the questions themselves and only picks a very few fan questions at the end. 

I find it odd that fans get offended when by her sense of humor when people use that humor all the time on this forum. Why is it okay for you to use that kind of humor in your daily life but she can’t? 
Maybe she just wants people to treat her like a normal person and ask intelligent questions instead of slobbering all over themselves and saying she changed your life. 
I get nervous when I meet people in person. I would feel more comfortable asking her a question over video. Maybe she gets nervous too and that’s why she makes awkward jokes. 

For my birthday my friends got me a zoom chat with Kate Mulgrew (Captain Janeway from Voyager, Red from OITNB). It was supposed to be a 4 minute call , but she extended it to 8 minutes as we were having a pretty good conversation. Afterwards  I thought about whether or not I would want to to a chat with Madonna and I have come to the conclusion that I would not. 

My reasons:

• I don't feel like she would answer any of my music related questions properly
  • I don't think she would be pleasant. I've seen her interactions with fans and friends that have met her all had the same feedback: She isn't nice to her fans.
  • I think she'd probably try to be funny and it would be uncomfortable since she isn't.
  • She would probably be crazy late for the zoom call as she doesn't respect other peoples time

But if Cher or Kylie  were to do this - I am SO there.

15 minutes ago, brank000 said:

For my birthday my friends got me a zoom chat with Kate Mulgrew (Captain Janeway from Voyager, Red from OITNB). It was supposed to be a 4 minute call , but she extended it to 8 minutes as we were having a pretty good conversation. Afterwards  I thought about whether or not I would want to to a chat with Madonna and I have come to the conclusion that I would not. 

My reasons:

• I don't feel like she would answer any of my music related questions properly
  • I don't think she would be pleasant. I've seen her interactions with fans and friends that have met her all had the same feedback: She isn't nice to her fans.
  • I think she'd probably try to be funny and it would be uncomfortable since she isn't.
  • She would probably be crazy late for the zoom call as she doesn't respect other peoples time

But if Cher or Kylie  were to do this - I am SO there.

That is so cool! I love Kate Mulgrew; what did you talk about? (I just finished her book the other day). Cher would be great, too; you know she'd be funny without it feeling mean spirited. 

From A Hard Day's Night:

Simon Marshall : Anyway, if you don't cooperate, you won't meet Susan.

George : And who's this Susan when she's at home?

I would rather meet Madonna one on one rather than in a zoom where her public persona guides her conversation. 

Maybe if I have a ton of money that I could just throw into a obligatory conversation with someone I have admired since I was 15.... I would just for fun. Maybe. ?