Vulture: The Oral History of Madonna’s Truth or Dare

kesiak

Brown: We were at a test screening of the film. Harvey began to talk to her about his ideas for the film, and she just lays into him: “Listen, I put up the money for this movie. I don’t care what your point of view is. I never want to hear it. Who the hell are you to tell me what kind of film I should be doing? This is mine and Alek’s. Shut up and I don’t ever want to hear another one of your ideas about it.” He just crumpled.

The Best part. LOL I can hear her voice.

10 hours ago, Madame Madonna said:

Brown: We were at a test screening of the film. Harvey began to talk to her about his ideas for the film, and she just lays into him: “Listen, I put up the money for this movie. I don’t care what your point of view is. I never want to hear it. Who the hell are you to tell me what kind of film I should be doing? This is mine and Alek’s. Shut up and I don’t ever want to hear another one of your ideas about it.” He just crumpled.

The Best part. LOL I can hear her voice.

He wanted to cut 15 minutes. He should've been arrested back then  :laughing:

On 5/8/2021 at 10:11 PM, realityisalways said:

It seems like Truth or Dare had no particular intended message whereas Im Going To Tell You a Secret was intended to paint her as generous and enlightened, hence the former being more successful since it was more honest.

..'By the way, she asked me to do a Truth or Dare 2 many years ago. It ended up being I’m Going to Tell You a Secret. She’d had [her children] Lola and Rocco, and she was married to Guy Ritchie. I go, “Here’s the thing, it’s kind of a conundrum because the logical follow-up to Truth or Dare is to show you now as a real mother, and yet it’s exploitative.” She was like, “No, I don’t want to make that type of documentary anyway. I want people to see the serious work I’m doing for Malawiand my work in Kabbalah.” I remember thinking to myself, Okay, so you want to make an apology film for Truth or Dare, to show how much more evolved and giving she is. I remember saying to her, “The problem is, that’s not a movie — that’s not drama. It’s just an essay.”' Keshisian 

by the way, i am NOT a TOD fan in no way but i couldn't stand IGTTYAS for a second. To me, it is uber fake, preachy and self righteous in the same time. Not that TOD is sincere in a ny way.

2 minutes ago, into the erotico said:

..'By the way, she asked me to do a Truth or Dare 2 many years ago. It ended up being I’m Going to Tell You a Secret. She’d had [her children] Lola and Rocco, and she was married to Guy Ritchie. I go, “Here’s the thing, it’s kind of a conundrum because the logical follow-up to Truth or Dare is to show you now as a real mother, and yet it’s exploitative.” She was like, “No, I don’t want to make that type of documentary anyway. I want people to see the serious work I’m doing for Malawiand my work in Kabbalah.” I remember thinking to myself, Okay, so you want to make an apology film for Truth or Dare, to show how much more evolved and giving she is. I remember saying to her, “The problem is, that’s not a movie — that’s not drama. It’s just an essay.”' Keshisian 

by the way, i am NOT a TOD fan in no way but i couldn't stand IGTTYAS for a second. To me, it is uber fake, preachy and self righteous in the same time. Not that TOD is sincere in a ny way.

I love IGTTYAS she looks beautiful there

2 hours ago, into the erotico said:

Oh, I guess that's why I didn't watch the movie again. I mean there's not a single interesting thing I can remember. 

Do you guys remember the scene which Donna and Niki did singing belinda carlisle's heaven is a place on earth? And then Madonna did roll her eyes and said "Do I have to listen to this?"

My impression about IGTTYC is exactly same as Madonna's.

Do I have to watch this boring documentary?

1 hour ago, Madame Madonna said:

Oh, I guess that's why I didn't watch the movie again. I mean there's not a single interesting thing I can remember. 

Do you guys remember the scene which Donna and Niki did singing belinda carlisle's heaven is a place on earth? And then Madonna did roll her eyes and said "Do I have to listen to this?"

I like when Guy is shown on a boat and Madonna is saying something about her marriage not being easy, but that easy doesnt make you grow.

16 hours ago, into the erotico said:

Wow, I never met any M fan who wasn't a TOD fan.

Honestly, if we could get the full Paris show or an extra hour of the film (the first version is said to have been 3hrs long), although I feel torn, I'd probably choose the second option.

I think if today some of us are disappointed by her IG, it's because we learnt to think of M as the woman we see in TOD.

I like the fact that, as the title suggest, you wonder if she is showing the truth or she is only daring.

You should check this other review:

15 hours ago, Madame Madonna said:

100000000000000000000%

The documentary was okay watching the first time on MTV, but that's it.

I tried to watch it with my boyfriend recently as he loves Truth Or Dare and saw that there's another tour doc that she did. I tried to convince him he wouldn't like it.. but we ended up watching it together.. and it was worse than I remembered. She should have just given us the re-invention tour with fun behind the scenes stuff (Rehearsals, etc...).

I was never interested in her homophobic husband, her kids, her messed up religion - and for someone that would prefer to keep the focus on her art, she did a terrible job of making her art front and centre in this movie.

I would kill for a longer cut of TOD.  It's amazing, iconic, hilarious, infinitely quotable, and completely original.  The concert footage is untouchable.  The contrast between the color concert scenes and the black and white backstage stuff is inspired.  I mean, as far as her career and art go, the movie is up there with Erotica,  LAP, and ROL for me, meaning it's in the league of "untouchable perfect masterworks".  I can't begin to imagine how any fan of hers couldn't like this film. 

On 5/9/2021 at 4:54 PM, into the erotico said:

I'm mixed about I'm Going to Tell You a Secret. I don't mind it but Truth or Dare, as much as it makes Madonna look unflattering at times, was a snapshot of the biggest year of her career. I'm Going to Tell You a Secret doesn't really have a reason for its existence. If it documented the Confessions Tour then maybe it would've been more interesting, but Re-Invention Tour once you get past the first two songs and the last three songs is kind of meh IMO. Also, Madonna at that point was just too serious and image conscious to do another TOD-style documentary that relies on having your guard down to seem genuine.

19 hours ago, brank000 said:

100000000000000000000%

The documentary was okay watching the first time on MTV, but that's it.

I tried to watch it with my boyfriend recently as he loves Truth Or Dare and saw that there's another tour doc that she did. I tried to convince him he wouldn't like it.. but we ended up watching it together.. and it was worse than I remembered. She should have just given us the re-invention tour with fun behind the scenes stuff (Rehearsals, etc...).

I was never interested in her homophobic husband, her kids, her messed up religion - and for someone that would prefer to keep the focus on her art, she did a terrible job of making her art front and centre in this movie.

Truth or Dare is a masterpiece. It also ruined watching music documentaries forever cause nothing ever comes close to its impact, rawness and quality (for me anyway). I'm Going To Tell You A Secret is enjoyable for the first 20 mins, with the dancer auditions, etc. And the concert footage is great, obviously. But then each time she starts talking about "the light" my eyes start rolling back so hard I fall off my couch. :)

4 hours ago, kesiak said:

Truth or Dare is a masterpiece. It also ruined watching music documentaries forever cause nothing ever comes close to its impact, rawness and quality (for me anyway). I'm Going To Tell You A Secret is enjoyable for the first 20 mins, with the dancer auditions, etc. And the concert footage is great, obviously. But then each time she starts talking about "the light" my eyes start rolling back so hard I fall off my couch. :)

Yes Yes! Truth or Dare is EVERYTHING! I remember renting it the day it came out and not returning it because it wasn't available for sale right away. My parents completely lost their shit when they had a non-returned Blockbuster fee for $99. I lied and told my parents I returned it. They argued and had the fee removed. I don't regret it one bit. That movie will alwas be everything for me.

In IGTTYAS when she's talking about the light and mentioning her Rabbi it gets to be a bit (a lot) much.  It's funny how just a year before the tour she did that showcase in France she said (and I quote) :

"Religion is an idea that someone pushes on you" 

"Religion is judgement"

"Religion is suffering'

"Religion is conforming"

"Religion is establishment"

But clearly she changed her mind.

So happy she shut pervy Harvey Weinstein down and put him in his place, what a sleazeball, I would love for M herself to sit down and either write a book (I know there's a screenplay for the biopic) or do an oral history project, I think oral history projects are fascinating like this one from Shirley Manson of garbage fame

On 5/10/2021 at 4:41 PM, Enrico said:

Wow, I never met any M fan who wasn't a TOD fan.

Honestly, if we could get the full Paris show or an extra hour of the film (the first version is said to have been 3hrs long), although I feel torn, I'd probably choose the second option.

I think if today some of us are disappointed by her IG, it's because we learnt to think of M as the woman we see in TOD.

I like the fact that, as the title suggest, you wonder if she is showing the truth or she is only daring.

You should check this other review:

thank you. I have read it but again.. no