"Celebration" Qobuz Songs versions tags

Prayer

So, don't know if its worth of a new topic but I found this quite interesting.

Checking "Celebration (Deluxe Video Edition)" on Qobuz store, the songs now included some extra info about the version used/included:

https://www.qobuz.com/es-es/album/celebration-deluxe-video-edition-madonna/0093624972730

As far as I know, all that info comes from Warner, but it's simply not shown on other stores/platforms. Honestly I think it didn't appear on Qobuz before either... maybe it was updated.

Nothing we didn't know before about the versions, but if this is official from Warner, "Borderline" and "Lucky Star" are both confirmed as QSound Mix versions ("Alternative Mix" on "Lucky Star"), the reworked edits are tagged as "Celebration 2009 Mix", etc.

What do you guys think?

Full tracklist:

01. Hung Up (Unmixed Album Version)

02. Music (Album Version)

03. Vogue (QSound Mix)

04. 4 Minutes (Feat. Justin Timberlake & Timbaland) [Radio Edit]

05. Holiday (Album Version)

06. Everybody (Celebration 2009 Mix)

07. Like A Virgin (QSound Mix)

08. Into The Groove (Album Version)

09. Like A Prayer (Album Version)

10. Ray Of Light (Radio Edit)

11. Sorry (Radio Version)

12. Express Yourself (Celebration 2009 Mix)

13. Open Your Heart (QSound Mix)

14. Borderline (QSound Mix)

15. Secret (Edit)

16. Erotica (Celebration 2009 Mix)

17. Justify My Love (QSound Mix)

18. Revolver (Feat. Lil Wayne)

19. Dress You Up (Celebration 2009 Mix)

20. Material Girl (Album Version)

21. La Isla Bonita (Album Version)

22. Papa Don't Preach (Album Version)

23. Lucky Star (QSound Alternative Mix)

24. Burning Up (Album Version)

25. Crazy For You (QSound Mix)

26. Who's That Girl (Album Version)

27. Frozen (Long Album Version)

28. Miles Away (Radio Edit)

29. Take A Bow (Album Version)

30. Live To Tell (Album Version)

31. Beautiful Stranger (Album Version)

32. Hollywood (Album Version)

33. Die Another Day (Album Version)

34. Don't Tell Me (Radio Edit)

35. Cherish (Celebration 2009 Mix)

36. Celebration

37. Celebration (Benny Benassi Remix Edit)

38. It's So Cool (Bonus Track)

• Prayer changed the title to "Celebration" Qobuz Songs versions tags

Maybe they're finally getting ready to merge the plays from tracks which are the same but not in sync count-wise. For example, the Spotify tallies for those songs which are now listed as Q Sound Mix (Justify, Open Your Heart, Like A Virgin etc) don't match other listings of the same track.

It must be a total head-melt for whoever is trying to tidy up her back catalogue. I hope there's a fan involved who's passionate about it (if that's what's actually happening).

Really appreciate them doing this. I still think this compilation is a terrible disaster (so much so that I actually gave my copy away!), but at least some effort was made to rectify it.
Some notes

Sorry, 4 Minutes and Miles Away have a lowered volume, clearly visible in Audacity as a flat line.
Erotica was fixed back to the correct Radio Edit, so technically not a 2009 mix.
Music still has a bunch of clicks and pops
Justify My Love still has Erotica vinyl crackling in the intro
Hollywood is actually fixed to be the Unmixed Album Version, for the first time ever.
Die Another Day is also fixed, since the original American Life album version had a part clipped in the intro.
Don't Tell Me has a faked ending compared to the original Radio Edit.

3 minutes ago, New_Boy said:

Really appreciate them doing this. I still think this compilation is a terrible disaster, but at least some effort was made to rectify it.
Some notes

Sorry, 4 Minutes and Miles Away have a lowered volume, clearly visible in Audacity as a flat line.
Erotica was fixed back to the correct Radio Edit, so technically not a 2009 mix.
Hollywood is actually fixed to be the Unmixed Album Version, for the first time ever.
Die Another Day is also fixed, since the original American Life album version had a part clipped in the intro.

Do you have a Qobuz account to listen to the actual files there? :-) I was tempted to buy it but 33 € just to check the files is a little too much. :tongue:

I was surprised to see the "Celebration 2009 Mix" on "Erotica" too, yes, since it was corrected from the original disaster to the Radio Edit. And "Cherish" too, right? Maybe all those are the original tags on their system or whatever.

I have a lossless version from Deezer. ;) "Cherish" wasn't matched to the original 7'', if I'm not mistaken.

Looking back at it in chronological order, it's kind of horrible how there's only 14 tracks from 1992-2008. Did we really need all five singles from the debut and only two singles from "Ray of Light"? Why were there so many overlong album versions when there were perfectly fine single edits instead? Ugh, I gotta stop thinking about this, I'll smash something.

Replacing the tracks on CD1 and CD2 with edits (some of them rare!) frees up 5 minutes on the first and 8 minutes on the second one, you could easily squeeze a couple of tracks in there as well.

33 minutes ago, New_Boy said:

I have a lossless version from Deezer. ;) "Cherish" wasn't matched to the original 7'', if I'm not mistaken.

Looking back at it in chronological order, it's kind of horrible how there's only 14 tracks from 1992-2008. Did we really need all five singles from the debut and only two singles from "Ray of Light"? Why were there so many overlong album versions when there were perfectly fine single edits instead? Ugh, I gotta stop thinking about this, I'll smash something.

The "Celebration" project is really intriguing... it had everything to be PERFECT and somehow it turned out to be a disaster, quality-wise. Why? I would love to talk to the people in charge to know the reasons why! Probably no one cared that much - not even her in that moment in time.

To be honest, 2007-2010 mainstream mastering had that issue, most compilations and albums were mastered with iPods and MP3 players in mind and everything needed to be LOUD to sound "good" with low quality files and tiny headphones. 2009 was in the middle of the "loudness war" peak. But still...

49 minutes ago, New_Boy said:

Really appreciate them doing this. I still think this compilation is a terrible disaster (so much so that I actually gave my copy away!), but at least some effort was made to rectify it.
Some notes

So is this the Reissued Remastered Corrected one?

1 hour ago, Bjonkers said:

Question about Crazy For You. Is the STR version the Q Sound mix as well or is it an edit of the original. I know years ago I used to be able to tell the difference, but the streaming versions all seem to be the same and mis-tagged.

Can anyone clarify?

In the original "Something To Remember" (CD, Vinyl version) "Crazy For You" it's the Original Version but a little bit shorter, I think (just 2-3 seconds). But no Q Sound, just the original.

In the digital "Something To Remember" is tagged as "Remix" cause it's the Q-Sound version. Basically "Crazy For You" is only available on digital right now as the "Immaculate Collection" version.

Edit:

The "Vision Quest" soundtrack with "Gambler" and the original version of "Crazy For You" was available on iTunes (puchase only, not on streaming) for a period of time since last year I think but it's been removed now, don't know why. It's still available on Qobuz, though:

https://www.qobuz.com/es-es/album/vision-quest-various-artists/yuc60v447b0dc

53 minutes ago, Prayer said:

In the original "Something To Remember" (CD, Vinyl version) "Crazy For You" it's the Original Version but a little bit shorter, I think (just 2-3 seconds). But no Q Sound, just the original.

In the digital "Something To Remember" is tagged as "Remix" cause it's the Q-Sound version. Basically "Crazy For You" is only available on digital right now as the "Immaculate Collection" version.

Edit:

The "Vision Quest" soundtrack with "Gambler" and the original version of "Crazy For You" was available on iTunes (puchase only, not on streaming) for a period of time since last year I think but it's been removed now, don't know why. It's still available on Qobuz, though:

https://www.qobuz.com/es-es/album/vision-quest-various-artists/yuc60v447b0dc

So the original STR version should be labelled the "edit" and the version on streaming should be labelled as "Q Sound remix".

On 5/11/2021 at 11:06 AM, wtg1987 said:

Personally I don’t care about the audio side of celebration seeing as we all have these songs in superior quality - what I find unforgivable is the piss poor treatment of the released dvd ????

That’s not accurate. Borderline is the TIC remix without the Q Sound effect and Lucky Star is a different edit of the TIC remix, with different elements. Both are exclusive to Celebration.

Also Everybody and Cherish are unique edits. But don’t feature new elements.

On 5/11/2021 at 12:54 PM, Bjonkers said:

So the original STR version should be labelled the "edit" and the version on streaming should be labelled as "Q Sound remix".

I labelled it "STR Edit" because the actual radio edit from the single is 3:58:

https://www.discogs.com/Madonna-Crazy-For-You/release/707137

On 5/11/2021 at 9:13 AM, New_Boy said:

Replacing the tracks on CD1 and CD2 with edits (some of them rare!) frees up 5 minutes on the first and 8 minutes on the second one, you could easily squeeze a couple of tracks in there as well.

Yes we absolutely needed all five single from the debut in a career spanning Madonna compilation. 

If it were me I'd have dropped Borderline because I think its basic and seemingly so does M even if music critics always cite it as a nod to something more than aerobic music...but ultimately it's right that it was included. Including Everybody, Burning Up, Who's That Girl and the original version of Into The Groove and Like A Prayer are the only things I genuinely like about Celebration. 

I could cut the bitch who decided that Deeper & Deeper and in some ways Give it 2 Me were not worthy of a spot on this collection. I will never ever forgive Julie for this. Im so glad she's been fired and they hired Emily. Emily is doing Gods work right now..even if she is holding out on my Deeper & Deeper remixes. 

Although I am in full agreement about the endless album versions. Who needs the 6 minute version of Holiday? No one that's who..and a 3 minute version of 4 minutes. and yes as mentioned that one beat Dress You Up is literally electric chair....

Somebody getting fired beyonce gif

And those lyrics for You Must Love Me or was it Argentina on the artwork but not including the song. Make it make sense. 

The way I could handle M's legacy better than these interns of old. 

:polish:

• 9 months later...
On 5/15/2021 at 6:41 PM, thegoldencalf said:

That’s not accurate. Borderline is the TIC remix without the Q Sound effect and Lucky Star is a different edit of the TIC remix, with different elements. Both are exclusive to Celebration.

Also Everybody and Cherish are unique edits. But don’t feature new elements.

Yes first 2 both IC - all 4 you listed above are Re-Edits -