Global Icon Award

Semtex1

So The Brits highest honour, the Global Icon Award, only dished out 3 times in the events history to Elton John, Robbie Williams and David Bowie is being handed to Taylor Swift. I feel a little cheated on Madonna's behalf. Surely there's nobody more deserving left for that title?

8 minutes ago, Semtex1 said:

So The Brits highest honour, the Global Icon Award, only dished out 3 times in the events history to Elton John, Robbie Williams and David Bowie is being handed to Taylor Swift. I feel a little cheated on Madonna's behalf. Surely there's nobody more deserving left for that title?

Just pandering to popularity like all awards shows now - I’m only surprised it wasnt given to Beyoncé or drake that way it makes it more woke ??

50 minutes ago, Shoful said:

I love Taylor Swift, but she is not a Global Artist. She’s only massive in the US and UK. She has no big impact in many other countries aside from those. Other artists definitely deserved this more (Madonna, Gaga, Kylie)

Taylor is HUGE in Japan and also pretty big in mainland Europe I think. 

Taylor is huge worldwide, like it or not. And of course she's an icon for a whole generation.

The world can have more than a female superstar in history, even coexisting at the same time, you know. :tongue:

Awards shows are publicity and pushing from the labels. Don't worry, Madonna will get all these kind of legacy awards when the biopic is released if she's got a good PR team then.

8 hours ago, Semtex1 said:

Surely this is a Hollywood Walk of Fame situation where it’s a PR competition involving $$$???

Taylor getting the award is fitting I guess given that her album sales and streaming are pretty impressive, although ironically her singles in the past couple of years have performed quite mediocrely; Cardigan and Willow both dropped like rocks in the US after just one week on the chart, and the latter only went #1 because Taylor's people discounted it like three times and released just as many remixes because Mariah's Xmas song was originally going to block it.

But really, it's such a pointless award so I don't care that Madonna didn't win it. Madonna > Taylor overall regardless.

These special Icon awards aren’t really given on merit, but who is willing to show up at the ceremony. Didn’t Taylor have to quarantine to be able to go to the ceremony? I really don’t think Madonna is going to fly all the way to London, quarantine when she doesn’t have a new album out to promote just to accept a silly award that will soon be forgotten. 

Yeah, Madonna wasn't going to show up  so I wouldn't have chosen her either lol. Maybe the UK hates her too idk.

And of course Global Icon by the Brits is about two or three English speaking countries only, let's not pretend that those countries recognize the rest of the world unless they need money or vacation.

I think M gives worth to such shows but only with her performances of own songs where even kids take notice, not her speeches. And one of the reasons their ratings are lower than ever is the mediocrity of their performers. 

So don't worry, her time will come again. She would laugh about it, not cry about the missed statue.

22 hours ago, Blue Prince said:

Yeah, Madonna wasn't going to show up  so I wouldn't have chosen her either lol. Maybe the UK hates her too idk.

And of course Global Icon by the Brits is about two or three English speaking countries only, let's not pretend that those countries recognize the rest of the world unless they need money or vacation.

I think M gives worth to such shows but only with her performances of own songs where even kids take notice, not her speeches. And one of the reasons their ratings are lower than ever is the mediocrity of their performers. 

So don't worry, her time will come again. She would laugh about it, not cry about the missed statue.

The Brits wanted to give Madonna a special career achievement award back in 2001, 20 years ago

She turned them down flat

17 minutes ago, TonyMontana said:

In France she (Swift) is absolutely not famous... the grand public cannot name or sing a single song from her.  Madonna is the biggest selling artist alive from all time (Beatles, Jackson and Presley are not alive anymore)... enough said.

??