Express Yourself music video upscale

3 hours ago, deathproof said:

The coloring isn’t right, and it looks like they’ve added in some artificial grain to it.

This is the original coloring of the video. The version you’re used to has been badly remastered for the Immaculate Collection DVD in 1990.

This is how the video was meant to look and how it was sent to TV stations before the DVD came out

3 hours ago, Let'sGetUnconsciousHoney said:

Is there a reason why the can't go find the original tapes and remaster from there? It's not like they have to do it for all the videos, only the 80's stuff which is like 15 videos

In many cases they have to transfer all the footage and re-edit from scratch. Also there’s a strong possibility those tapes don’t even exist anymore. 

51 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

This is the original coloring of the video. The version you’re used to has been badly remastered for the Immaculate Collection DVD in 1990.

This is how the video was meant to look and how it was sent to TV stations before the DVD came out

Do you have a rip of the original version? 

1 hour ago, Aiwa08 said:

VOB, 223mb

Remember: this video in an old CRT TV looks flawless. It was mastered to be seen in a CRT TV. That is the reason why Madonna/Warner needs to recover the original negatives and made a new master in HD. The old masters were created for old CRT TV.

Thanks. it looks a bit green though.

1 hour ago, Aiwa08 said:

THE ORIGINAL VIDEO (PROMO ONLY, NTSC) This is the real one (the original colors, the original contrast, the original audio):

VOB, 223mb

Remember: this video in an old CRT TV looks flawless. It was mastered to be seen in a CRT TV. That is the reason why Madonna/Warner needs to recover the original negatives and make a new master in HD. The old masters were created for old CRT TV.

Isn't this the version that's been upscaled on Youtube?

7 minutes ago, baymad4her said:

Isn't this the version that's been upscaled on Youtube?

Yes, it is. I've said it in another post. They have upscaled the original master/video send to TV stations in 1989. Not the Celebration one, neither the alternate short version available on The Immaculate Video Collection.

8 hours ago, Lazaruz said:

So hoy many versions of the video actually exists?

The original one sent to TV stations.

The immaculate version with the album version audio.

Celebration Version.

And this last one upscale.

No, this last one upscale is the original one sent to TV stations.

And the Celebration Version is almost identical to the one sent to TV stations, but it has a "Zipper Sound" at the beginning.

The immaculate version doesn't have the album version audio. It has the 7'' Remix audio (using the Local mix intro).

So Express Yourself have three video versions:

- Original Version (the one sent to TV Stations) (4:59)

- Original Version with Zipper Sound (Celebration DVD) (5:01)

- Alternate Short Version (The Immaculate Video Collection) (4:24) This version was aired after the premiere by a music channel in 1989 in US, but I'm not from US so I can't confirm this. I think this version was made to remove the sex scenes at the end and to sound more like the album version. 

I've read people claiming that an "Alternate Short Version with Zipper Sound" exist, but I've never seen any proof of this in 30 years.

2 hours ago, Lazaruz said:

So hoy many versions of the video actually exists?

The original one sent to TV stations.

The immaculate version with the album version audio.

Celebration Version.

And this last one upscale.

The last one upscaled has a reconstructed audio right and not the original one right? @Aiwa08 :confused: so there're 4 versions? 

11 minutes ago, brank000 said:

I get confused with this too. lol. I always thought it was the other way around tho.

Me too. The longer-more scantily clad version went to the mature “adult” network aka VH1, the shorter edited one went to the younger MTV.  

But upon further reading, the video was first released to MTV only, and they aired it exclusively for like a week before it was sent to other networks. If the house remix/longer version is the “original,” then that means it would be the MTV one, as the edited one was sent to networks later on.

23 minutes ago, deathproof said:

But it’s obvious the video was filmed with the album/7” mix, right? It’s odd that the horn section is missing in the video in the scene of the band playing for the “big boss-factory owner.”

I'm sure I read an interview with Shep Pettibone where he mentioned this and said that when Madonna heard his remix she wanted that used in the video rather than the album version as she preferred it. He mentioned the horns not being in his remix but were in the video as it was already filmed. 

44 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

Maybe because it's just a simple upscale. No AI used to create a fake but credible HD like other videos (Erotica, Frozen, etc, etc).

arent they all the same? :confused: I think probably the quality isnt that good so maybe thats why they didnt promote it idk