Revolver appreciation topic

Fabiolous

Am I the only one who thinks Revolver is a brilliant song? I don't know what it is about it, but it's so sexy and the chorus is so fun to sing along to and cleverly written. It's also very Madonna. 

I think it was a lost opportunity and it would have done better than celebration as the first single. Gaga was making very impressive music videos and bringing the genre back after the decline of MTV. I would have loved to see Madonna go all out and make an epic music video for Revolver and promote it at music awards. It did pretty well on the radios in Italy and all my friends were telling how much they liked the song (I was in highschool). It could have been a hit while the iron was still hot from Hard Candy and the tour. The David Guetta remix was also pretty popular. 

I still think it was a great move - both new songs, "Celebration" (Remix) and "Revolver" were current and mainstream - but completely wasted with no video and no promotion. Yeah, "Revolver" was very "SOS" by Rihanna and "Radar" by Britney, but still, it was a good pop song. Also, the album version vocal mixing could be better, as we know.

Timing was another issue too, right? If I remember well, the single was released just as Lil Wayne was in jail?

The "MDNA Tour" live version and performance is GREAT! Superb energy.

09.jpg

Love the live performance, didn't impress me on the album, just sounded like a Rihanna knock-off. Even the producer said the mix was terrible. Like the Paul Van Dyke remix but hate the David Guetta mix... I remember at the time thinking she was going down a musical avenue I wasn't sure I would be able to follow her down...

The lyrics I thought were cool and the back vocals I liked too but it’s let down by very generic mainstream production sadly - I always preferred the Tracy young remixes even though I don’t think she’s a very good remixer ( apart from her crave and I rise mixes ) 

not classic Madonna by a mile and probably could have been on hard candy rather than a greatest hits 

53 minutes ago, thelioncourtheart_ said:

The fact Warner didn't allow the people who worked on the song to finish mastering/deliver a final mix so they sent an unfinished version and released it always sends me. :dead:

Another perfect example of why "Celebration" was a complete mess. No one cared at that point, not even her, I'm afraid.

Revolver is a great workout jam. I love when she says I line em up and watch em fall. But sure, coming from Madonna, you'd expect something a little more mature at least lyrically. I mean of course it would become a hit in Italy, for some magical reason everything she does gets certified there. But I think Celebration doesn't compare. For me it is the Holiday of her third decade in music. I love Revolver but brilliant might be an exaggeration :silly: