Fixing GHV2

louis.exe

If I HAD to make any changes:

• Put the songs in chronological order
  • Change the version of "Human Nature" to the video version
  • Replace the radio edit of "Don't Cry For Me" and put the  Miami Mix Edit since that's the only version that radio touched (or remove the song completely and add the single version of "You Must Love Me") 
  • Remove "The Power Of Good-Bye" and "What It Feels Like For a Girl" and add "You'll See" and "This Used To Be My Playground" 
  • Add "I'll Remember"

2 hours ago, brank000 said:

If I HAD to make any changes:

• Put the songs in chronological order
  • Change the version of "Human Nature" to the video version
  • Replace the radio edit of "Don't Cry For Me" and put the  Miami Mix Edit since that's the only version that radio touched (or remove the song completely and add the single version of "You Must Love Me") 
  • Remove "The Power Of Good-Bye" and "What It Feels Like For a Girl" and add "You'll See" and "This Used To Be My Playground" 
  • Add "I'll Remember"

Hmmm. TPOG shouldn’t be removed. Also you’re adding way too many ballads that were already on STR. I would remove Drowned World since 3 ballads for ROL is too many. And replace it with Fever edit one

35 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

Hmmm. TPOG shouldn’t be removed. Also you’re adding way too many ballads that were already on STR. I would remove Drowned World since 3 ballads for ROL is too many. And replace it with Fever edit one

That did cross my mind.. but these are my thoughts:

• STR did overlap with TIC twice (Live to Tell and Crazy For You) and GHV2 (Rain) so to me overlap didn't matter so much
  • I removed TPOG solely based on it not being as big a hit as You'll See or Playground... 

I am open to removing DW in place of TPOG though.. I prefer TPOG.

Fever would be nice...but it wasn't really a hit.

I also forgot to say that I think American Pie should be on there too.. but she even said in an interview that she didn't put it on to "punish" it for being on "Music" when it shouldn't have been.

1 hour ago, brank000 said:

That did cross my mind.. but these are my thoughts:

• STR did overlap with TIC twice (Live to Tell and Crazy For You) and GHV2 (Rain) so to me overlap didn't matter so much
  • I removed TPOG solely based on it not being as big a hit as You'll See or Playground... 

I am open to removing DW in place of TPOG though.. I prefer TPOG.

Fever would be nice...but it wasn't really a hit.

I also forgot to say that I think American Pie should be on there too.. but she even said in an interview that she didn't put it on to "punish" it for being on "Music" when it shouldn't have been.

Fever might have not been a chart topper but definitely became a staple Madonna song 

2 hours ago, brank000 said:

I agree with you, but does it have the same appeal to the casual fans? 

Sure, since it’s a cover of a pretty well known song. And I think anything is better than more ballads. Especially since Rain is missing and Erotica is having only 2 songs on the compilation.

Also the entire album should be remixed by Mirwais or William Orbit, like TIC. And they should have released one or two of the Music outtake songs on it. 

5 hours ago, brank000 said:

I think she said that for the Drowned World tour? Don't think she had anything to do with the making of GHV2

14 minutes ago, Let'sGetUnconsciousHoney said:

I think she said that for the Drowned World tour? Don't think she had anything to do with the making of GHV2

She did. She said the only songs that made the cut were songs she could listen to 5 times in a row. 

She was also at a bitchy point in her life/career when she hated a lot of her own back catalog.

Personally, I don't think overlapping with STR mattered. A Madonna specific ballads collection is like a Streisand specific Broadway or film song or duets collection. It's so niche. 

GHV2 should have appealed to a much broader audience than STR.

Chronological and more inclusive of the real hits would have made it a stronger collection.

Playground, Rain, I'll Remember -- should have all been there as well as American Pie, no matter the "punishment" Madonna thought it deserved, her reason was stupid and without any point or merit. 

And I agree with Branko, DCFMA could have been there (or not) but in remix form - only. 

And of course, video version (unedited) for Human Nature - ONLY - what a fucking classic and that would have been - and exclusive to this release. No door slams. It's a fucking Madonna album, deal with the swearing. Eat a dick.

From a commercial perspective, the collection should have been put together by someone that wasn't Madonna. She was too close to it she still doesn't respect how impactful some of those songs were. She sees the songs from her perspective (I like that producer but not that producer. It wasn't my idea to do that song, WB made me work with Babyface. That producer was always late and disrupted my gym routine and I missed that one basketball game because that person wasn't on time!) - whereas we listened to the songs on the radio as they came out and supported the hell out of them in a time she wasn't so popular or it was more challenging, but she managed to get hits.

Branding the collection Immaculate Collection II would have been simply brilliant -- and now GHV2 is basically forgotten. No one remembers it outside these types of forums. It was a shit collection she was forced to put together and no effort to please the fans was made. Megamixes ... whatever. Why not throw us a bone with Impressive Instant? Fuck ..

11 minutes ago, Let'sGetUnconsciousHoney said:

I'm pretty sure it was in regards to GHV2. It was when she was doing all those radio interviews to promote it. I don't think there was ever a question that she would perform American Pie on the Drowned World Tour.

Of course one of the most annoying (yet we love this woman so much) things about Madonna is how she flip flops ...

Smoking is bad.  Yet .. she smokes in every photo shoot possible.

Guns are bad. Ok .. 

Don't smoke weed .. mmm hmm .. 

And then there's this:

https://todayinmadonnahistory.com/2019/12/12/today-in-madonna-history-december-12-2001-2/

On December 12 2001, Madonna participated in a MSN Live Chat, to promote GHV2 (Greatest Hits Volume 2), which was released on November 12.

Here are some GHV2 related questions from Madonna’s fans and her answers from the live chat:

Do you think that the journey that the Immaculate Collection covers is greater than GHV2?

No, actually the opposite. I experienced a much greater journey later, and I was paying attention more.

Which song do you wish was on GHV2 but was left off?

I don’t. At the end of the day, if people want to hear a song, they can go get the record it was on. I don’t regret not having anything else on it (GHV2).

I am really pleased to have a new greatest hits collection from you but why aren’t there any new songs in GHV2?

Because they are my greatest hits. New songs would be false advertising because if it’s a new song, it wouldn’t be considered a greatest hit. That’s a little presumptuous isn’t it?

So new songs are bad on hits collections, yet .. Celebration has two. Be consistent or don't speak. And I know it was years apart, but it's the same woman. 

So clearly she just didn't want to put in the effort on this set because she was busy and told WB to fuck off because they weren't getting along.

3 hours ago, captainjay said:

She did. She said the only songs that made the cut were songs she could listen to 5 times in a row. 

She was also at a bitchy point in her life/career when she hated a lot of her own back catalog.

Personally, I don't think overlapping with STR mattered. A Madonna specific ballads collection is like a Streisand specific Broadway or film song or duets collection. It's so niche. 

GHV2 should have appealed to a much broader audience than STR.

Chronological and more inclusive of the real hits would have made it a stronger collection.

Playground, Rain, I'll Remember -- should have all been there as well as American Pie, no matter the "punishment" Madonna thought it deserved, her reason was stupid and without any point or merit. 

And I agree with Branko, DCFMA could have been there (or not) but in remix form - only. 

And of course, video version (unedited) for Human Nature - ONLY - what a fucking classic and that would have been - and exclusive to this release. No door slams. It's a fucking Madonna album, deal with the swearing. Eat a dick.

From a commercial perspective, the collection should have been put together by someone that wasn't Madonna. She was too close to it she still doesn't respect how impactful some of those songs were. She sees the songs from her perspective (I like that producer but not that producer. It wasn't my idea to do that song, WB made me work with Babyface. That producer was always late and disrupted my gym routine and I missed that one basketball game because that person wasn't on time!) - whereas we listened to the songs on the radio as they came out and supported the hell out of them in a time she wasn't so popular or it was more challenging, but she managed to get hits.

Branding the collection Immaculate Collection II would have been simply brilliant -- and now GHV2 is basically forgotten. No one remembers it outside these types of forums. It was a shit collection she was forced to put together and no effort to please the fans was made. Megamixes ... whatever. Why not throw us a bone with Impressive Instant? Fuck ..

Yet STR was much more successful than GHV2. Also these collections have to be thought out in a way to make sense since they can only have so many songs on them. 
For example WTG was excluded from TIC since it was too similar to La Isla Bonita. 
Even though I’ll Remember is an amazing song and did great commercially nobody would have cared about it by 2001. Same with This Used To Be. 
I think that GHV2 never made it because the name and cover were not as iconic as TIC, has nothing to do with the track listing. 
Also by the end of 1990 she was everywhere. In 2001 she was pretty absent and musically she didn’t have a relevant release since Don’t Tell Me. 
Plus there was no JML controversy boost the popularity of the album.

10 hours ago, thegoldencalf said:

Even though I’ll Remember is an amazing song and did great commercially nobody would have cared about it by 2001. Same with This Used To Be. 

I disagree.  These songs are still played on the radio quite a bit even now. My boyfriend always makes a (bad) joke when we hear "I'll Remember" that he'll never forget the song since it plays every time we go to shopping.

14 hours ago, captainjay said:

Because they are my greatest hits. New songs would be false advertising because if it’s a new song, it wouldn’t be considered a greatest hit. That’s a little presumptuous isn’t it?

I remember when the album was announced and we didn't have a track list a magazine (Billboard maybe?) stated there'd be a new track. I wonder if that's before she got pissed at Warner due how they handled the whole "Amazing" / "Impressive Instant" single thing.

GHV2 (my tracklist)

1. Deeper and Deeper (radio edit)
2. Rain (Radio mix)
3. Erotica 
4. I´ll remember (Orbit Mix edit)
5. Secret (radio edit)
6. Take a Bow (radio version)
7. You´ll See (edit)
8. Don´t Cry For Me Argentina (edit)
9. Frozen (edit)
10. Ray of light (edit)
11.  Beautiful Stranger

12. Music
13. Don´t Tell Me
14. What it feels like for a Girl
15. GHV2 Tracy Young Megamix

But wouldn´t change a thing in the art. It´s spetacular!

1 hour ago, brank000 said:

I disagree.  These songs are still played on the radio quite a bit even now. My boyfriend always makes a (bad) joke when we hear "I'll Remember" that he'll never forget the song since it plays every time we go to shopping.

I remember when the album was announced and we didn't have a track list a magazine (Billboard maybe?) stated there'd be a new track. I wonder if that's before she got pissed at Warner due how they handled the whole "Amazing" / "Impressive Instant" single thing.

Speaking of I’ll Remember. A friend texted me the other day just to tell me that he saw the video for the first time and was blown away how beautiful she looked in it!

As for GHV2. She was such a mean bitch during that period. She was terrible on the set of TNBT, she did American Pie and then hated on it, she was constantly trashing her old catalogue, burning bridges left and right… Guy Ritchie and the pregnancy hormones really did a number on her

01. Erotica 
02. Deeper and deeper
03. Fever
04. Rain
05. Secret
06. Take a bow
07. Human nature
08. You must love me
09. Dont cry for me Argentina
10. Frozen
11. Ray of light
12. Drowned world
13. The power of good-bye
14. Beautiful stranger
15. Music
16. Dont tell me
17. What it feels like for a girl

On 6/11/2021 at 12:29 PM, thegoldencalf said:

As for GHV2. She was such a mean bitch during that period. She was terrible on the set of TNBT, she did American Pie and then hated on it, she was constantly trashing her old catalogue, burning bridges left and right… Guy Ritchie and the pregnancy hormones really did a number on her

Yeah, she definitely had a chip on her shoulder starting with the filming of the next best thing (you can see it in the ET interviews on the set) and through Drowned World Tour (she was obviously cranky - barely even talking to the audiences)

On 6/11/2021 at 5:26 AM, thegoldencalf said:

Yet STR was much more successful than GHV2. Also these collections have to be thought out in a way to make sense since they can only have so many songs on them. 
For example WTG was excluded from TIC since it was too similar to La Isla Bonita. 
I think that GHV2 never made it because the name and cover were not as iconic as TIC, has nothing to do with the track listing. 
Also by the end of 1990 she was everywhere. In 2001 she was pretty absent and musically she didn’t have a relevant release since Don’t Tell Me. 

Any year in her career would pale in comparison to 1990, that was unprecedented for anybody, but people were still very much interested in her and what she'd do next musically in 2001. It could've been a great opportunity in terms of greatest hits package. Sadly it felt more like a sordid contractual obligation for M (or so it seems). :)

1. Erotica

2. Deeper and Deeper

3. Fever (Edit One)

4. Bad Girl

5. Secret

6. Take a Bow

7. Bedtime Story (Junior's Single Mix)

8. Human Nature

9. "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" (Miami Mix)

10. Frozen

11. Ray of Light

12. The Power of Good-Bye

13. Drowned World/Substitute For Love

14. Beautiful Stranger

15. Don't Tell Me

16. What It Feels Like for a Girl

17. Music

This is the version that should've been released. It makes sense why they put the songs out of chronological order otherwise it would've been down tempos and ballads from Secret to Frozen (6 songs) which could get a bit boring after a while even when they're Madonna songs. I originally had Rain on here after Fever but replaced it with Bad Girl because Rain was already on STR. I don't understand why BS and DCFMA were the album versions when the remixes were sent to radio and in most cases the reason why the songs charted well in certain countries.

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer the September 2001 test sequence over the final track-list. This sequence was documented on MadonnaTribe and includes ‘You’ll see’ over ‘substitute for love’. Although it won’t satisfy everyone, because so many great songs are omitted and it’s non-chronological, it’s actually a really great playlist and sequence. I do miss ‘Rain’ and ‘Nothing Really Matters’ though.

http://www.madonnatribe.com/decade/2013/ghv20-2/

6849254d03804031046e7c061c7f0b03.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

I definitely liked it as is, maybe Rain or Fever added would've made it great. But if not I'd personally make it:

1. Erotica [Album Edit]
  2. Deeper And Deeper [Album Edit]
  3. Rain [Video Edit]
  4. I'll Remember [Orbit Mix]
  5. Secret [Edit]
  6. Take A Bow [Edit]
  7. Bedtime Story [Album Edit]
  8. Human Nature [Video Edit]
  9. Don't Cry For Me Argentina [Miami Mix Edit]
  10. Frozen [Radio Edit]
  11. Ray Of Light [Video Edit]
  12. The Power Of Good-bye
  13. Nothing Really Matters
  14. Beautiful Stranger [Radio Edit]
  15. Music
  16. Don't Tell Me [Radio Edit]
  17. What It Feels Like For A Girl

That way almost every major single is included and still reasons to buy their parent albums.

I feel like these songs are just too different in sound to be thrown together on the same album. It either needed to be remixed by one producer or this would have been the perfect opportunity to release a dance collection. The 90’s-2001 were the best remixes of her career and then the sound would flow much better. A new song as well. 

Erotica and DCFMA on the same album is just.. 

:dihtltt:

7 hours ago, RUADJAI said:

I feel like these songs are just too different in sound to be thrown together on the same album. It either needed to be remixed by one producer or this would have been the perfect opportunity to release a dance collection. The 90’s-2001 were the best remixes of her career and then the sound would flow much better. A new song as well. 

Erotica and DCFMA on the same album is just.. 

:dihtltt:

I think pairing it with a second remixed disc would've been sensational! 

On 6/10/2021 at 5:18 AM, MPowered said:

The Second Coming (Standard)

NKRlJXO.png

I would change the packaging and track list. The first single could have been Impressive Instant as the remixes were being sent out around that time in anticipation of the album. The GHV2 Megamix would be the b-side to that single.

All songs would be slightly edited either using their official radio edits or new ones, so more songs would fit on the album.

1. Erotica
  2. Human Nature
  3. Don't Tell Me
  4. Secret
  5. I'll Remember - Orbit Remix
  6. Ray of Light
  7. Fever - Edit One
  8. Nothing Really Matters
  9. Beautiful Stranger
  10. American Pie
  11. Music
  12. Deeper and Deeper
  13. You'll See
  14. Frozen
  15. Take a Bow
  16. The Power of Good-Bye
  17. Bedtime Story
  18. Impressive Instant

The Second Coming (Deluxe)

OSdappm.png

This version would include a second disc with Madonna's greatest remixes from 1991-2001. They would also appear as edited versions.

1. Justify My Love - Orbit Edit
  2. Rescue Me - Lifeboat Vocal
  3. Erotica - Madonna's In My Jeep Mix
  4. Deeper and Deeper - David's Radio Edit
  5. Secret - Junior's Single Mix
  6. Bedtime Story - Orbital Edit
  7. Human Nature - Human Club Edit
  8. Don't Cry for Me Argentina - Miami Mix Edit
  9. Frozen - Stereo MC Edit
  10. Ray of Light - Sasha Ultra Violet Mix Radio Edit
  11. Drowned World/Substitute for Love - BT & Sasha's Bucklodge Ashram Edit
  12. Nothing Really Matters - Club 69 Radio Mix
  13. Beautiful Stranger - Calderone Radio Mix
  14. American Pie - Richard "Humpty" Vission Radio Mix
  15. Music - Groove Armada 7" Mix
  16. Don't Tell Me - Thunderpuss Radio Mix
  17. What It Feels Like for a Girl - Above & Beyond Radio Edit
  18. Thunderpuss GHV2 Megamix - Original Version

Perfection. 

'01- '03 would have also been the perfect time for all those djs to remix her classics. Make it a triple disc!