Fixing GHV2

louis.exe

On 6/11/2021 at 12:29 PM, thegoldencalf said:

Speaking of I’ll Remember. A friend texted me the other day just to tell me that he saw the video for the first time and was blown away how beautiful she looked in it!

Interestingly, I remember when that song was on the radio around where I live (Detroit), after the song played the DJ said "I just saw the video to this song yesterday. I don't know why a woman that can be so hot makes herself look so damn ugly!" 

Irrelevant I know, just your friend's comment made me remember that. God, that pissed me off when I heard that, lol. that DJ was an asshole. 

There's absolutely nothing wrong with GHV2, neither the tracklist order (and I say that being myself a You'll See bitch); try listen to album as M did create and you'll see (no pun intended) all songs tell a story in sequence, much like if they were intended to a tour of hers. It's much like the yang opposite to how yin Drowned World Tour sounded at that time - even the allegedly made-up stories to the booklet about the songs actually corroborate that. It was in essence how Drowned World Tour would have sounded hadn't her doing tour to focus mostly on Music and ROL albums - as if it were marketed as a GH tour instead of a supporting album tour (a 90's GH tour, naturally). Shame that the 99% of her fans still haven't seen such vision of hers...

EDIT: and I honestly believe the disappointment feeling from M fans regarding GHV2 as a whole is directly linked to the disappoint they have had to M's music career during the nineties - to both how Madonna got backlashed to never have scored a #1 on Billboard Hot 200 that decade and to how Madonna herself had by then a mindset focused on her full departure to everything she was linked to the prior decade, which was much more successful to any metric...

Girl were you talking about number Billboard 200 #1 albums because...

Take A Bow was number 1 in the 90's.

This Used To Be My Non Song was number 1 in the 90's 

Vogue was number 1 in the 90's

Justify My Love was number 1 in the 90's

and Music was number 1 at the turn of the decade and included on GHV2

So it had two US number one records on GHV2

I'll Remember & Frozen number 2

Secret & Erotica number 3

Ray Of Light number 5

Along with five other top 10's

She did just fine considering the god awful SEX backlash

If she was really pushing the HITS narrative the track listing would have looked like

1. This Used To Be My Non Song
  2. Erotica
  3. Deeper & Deeper
  4. Rain
  5. I'll Remember
  6. Secret
  7. Take A Bow
  8. You'll See
  9. You Must Love Me
  10. Dont Cry For Me Argentina
  11. Frozen
  12. Ray Of Light
  13. The Power Of Goodbye
  14. Music
  15. Dont Tell Me
  16. Beautiful Stranger

but you can see how it starts to look very Something To Remember + and like a ballad salad. 

Rain / Playground / You'll See excluded because of STR

Nothing Really Matters exclusion was to avoid there being five singles from it's parent album and to stop it being Ray Of Light heavy though Drowned World not being an international single was a curious choice instead. 

Don't Cry For Me chosen over American Pie & Fever to avoid paying royalties on three tracks that were covers. 

All the Music singles and Bedtime singles were included.

So what else was there to put on? Flop Girl her biggest commercial failure to the point?

It's probably as good as it could have been in truth

So yeah I do think GHV2 was a good compilation with a commercially smart tracklist  but it absolutely suffered in fans eyes at a measly 15 tracks. 17 Would probably have appeased some fans to match Immaculate collection but 15 tracks plus no new songs. Mama really? 

The truth is America was largely only here for most of her downtempos in the 90's if were to believe the charts and by that time as Fever / Bedtime Story / Human Nature / Nothing Really Matters were all flops though Madonna was ready to never release another ballad for the next decade or so. 

I think the tracklist is good. I would maybe just add Fever (Edit One) after Deeper And Deeper and for sure Time Stood Still as the last track.

For her ballads like Rain, TUTBMP, I'll Remember, etc there is STR.

American Pie was already included in Music outside the US. 

A new song would have been really nice. She had many in the vaults, but if there has to be no new song, at least put Time Stood Still. This song deserves better than being in a forgotten OST.