A New Greatest Hits for 2022?

louis.exe

In the age of streaming greatest hits collections don't seem very relevant anymore imo. Unless of course the songs are re-recorded (like what Blondie did in 2014 for their 40th), reworked (like Kylie's Abbey Road Sessions), or there are new and/or previously unreleased tracks included.

I would prefer we got something much like what Kylie did for her first four albums; sets that were completely remastered, included all the b-sides and remixes from the singles, and a dvd of the music videos. That's a pipe dream to expect from Madonna though. 

MADONNA: ICONOGRAPHY - Greatest Hits 1982 / 2022

DISC 1 

1. Everybody 
  2. Burning Up 
  3. Holiday 
  4. Lucky Star
  5. Borderline
  6. Like a Virgin 
  7. Material Girl
  8. Crazy For You
  9. Angel 
  10. Into The Groove
  11. Dress You Up
  12. Gambler
  13. Live To Tell 
  14. Papa Don't Preach
  15. True Blue 
  16. Open Your Heart 
  17. La Isla Bonita
  18. Who's That Girl
  19. Causing a Commotion
  20. The Look Of Love
  21. Like a Prayer

DISC 2 

1. Express Yourself
  2. Cherish 
  3. Oh Father 
  4. Keep It Together 
  5. Vogue
  6. Justify My Love
  7. Rescue Me 
  8. This Used To Be My Playground
  9. Erotica
  10. Deeper And Deeper 
  11. Rain 
  12. I'll Remember
  13. Secret
  14. Take a Bow
  15. Bedtime Story 
  16. Human Nature 
  17. You'll See 
  18. You Must Love Me
  19. Don't Cry For Me Argentina
  20. Frozen
  21. Ray Of Light

DISC 3

1. Drowned World / Substitute For Love
  2. The Power Of Goodbye
  3. Nothing Really Matters
  4. Beautiful Stranger
  5. American Pie
  6. Music
  7. Don't Tell Me
  8. What It Feels Like For a Girl
  9. Die Another Day
  10. American Life
  11. Hollywood
  12. Hung Up
  13. Sorry
  14. 4 Minuets
  15. Celebration
  16. Girl Gone Wild
  17. Living For Love
  18. Ghosttown
  19. Bitch I'm Madonna
  20. Medellin
  21. Crave

I hope so... Considering she was releasing a hits collection in a gap of sort of 10 years (1990, 2001 and 2009), she´s late for a new one.

But let´s be honest: her last two entrances on Billboard Hot 100 were with GMAYL (top #8) and Bitch I´m Madonna (top #84). So I think a REMIX collection would be more adequate due to she has been killing in the Hot Dance Club Charts in the last two decades. 

I would get crazy with the release of new remixes for classics like Vogue, Intro The Groove and official remixes for more recent songs like Crave and Living For Love in a 3LP limited release.  (But please, no remix with more than 5 minutes lengh.)

41 minutes ago, fiercemighty said:

I would prefer we got something much like what Kylie did for her first four albums; sets that were completely remastered, included all the b-sides and remixes from the singles, and a dvd of the music videos. That's a pipe dream to expect from Madonna though. 

this would be amazing.

Something I would love to see is a box set ANTHOLOGY with every remix of every song released (ON CD) and then the music videos and tour on Blu Ray.. To save on cost they could just do a pre-sale and make only the amount that was pre-ordered.

I know - fat chance of any of that happening. I think the most we'd get is coloured vinyl of the albums (AGAIN)

1 minute ago, brank000 said:

this would be amazing.

Something I would love to see is a box set ANTHOLOGY with every remix of every song released (ON CD) and then the music videos and tour on Blu Ray.. To save on cost they could just do a pre-sale and make only the amount that was pre-ordered.

I know - fat chance of any of that happening. I think the most we'd get is coloured vinyl of the albums (AGAIN)

Blu-Ray is dead. (unfortenely) It´s all about video stream now. 

33 minutes ago, louis.exe said:

MADONNA: ICONOGRAPHY - Greatest Hits 1982 / 2022

DISC 1 

1. Everybody 
  2. Burning Up 
  3. Holiday 
  4. Lucky Star
  5. Borderline
  6. Like a Virgin 
  7. Material Girl
  8. Crazy For You
  9. Angel 
  10. Into The Groove
  11. Dress You Up
  12. Gambler
  13. Live To Tell 
  14. Papa Don't Preach
  15. True Blue 
  16. Open Your Heart 
  17. La Isla Bonita
  18. Who's That Girl
  19. Causing a Commotion
  20. The Look Of Love
  21. Like a Prayer

DISC 2 

1. Express Yourself
  2. Cherish 
  3. Oh Father 
  4. Keep It Together 
  5. Vogue
  6. Justify My Love
  7. Rescue Me 
  8. This Used To Be My Playground
  9. Erotica
  10. Deeper And Deeper 
  11. Rain 
  12. I'll Remember
  13. Secret
  14. Take a Bow
  15. Bedtime Story 
  16. Human Nature 
  17. You'll See 
  18. You Must Love Me
  19. Don't Cry For Me Argentina
  20. Frozen
  21. Ray Of Light

DISC 3

1. Drowned World / Substitute For Love
  2. The Power Of Goodbye
  3. Nothing Really Matters
  4. Beautiful Stranger
  5. American Pie
  6. Music
  7. Don't Tell Me
  8. What It Feels Like For a Girl
  9. Die Another Day
  10. American Life
  11. Hollywood
  12. Hung Up
  13. Sorry
  14. 4 Minuets
  15. Celebration
  16. Girl Gone Wild
  17. Living For Love
  18. Ghosttown
  19. Bitch I'm Madonna
  20. Medellin
  21. Crave

I can def see them doing a thorough compilation like this with the correct remastered single versions. I think I posted one before called Queen of Pop but broken into 3 volumes as follows:

1. 82-89

2. 90-99

3. 00-20

Bowie did something similar in the noughties with his back catalogue.

Initially I would have said that it seems pointless but it would make sense to release one with the biopic, and it would be good if they capitalised on the Dolby Atmos spatial audio feature since she was sort of the first to use it in the first place. If they do another one though then some actual thought and effort needs to go into it this time.

38 minutes ago, Dj Garrido said:

But let´s be honest: her last two entrances on Billboard Hot 100 were with GMAYL (top #8) and Bitch I´m Madonna (top #84). So I think a REMIX collection would be more adequate due to she has been killing in the Hot Dance Club Charts in the last two decades. 

I like that idea

57 minutes ago, Dj Garrido said:

Blu-Ray is dead. (unfortenely) It´s all about video stream now. 

That may be so , but what's the alternative when it comes to a physical media box with video content?  She released Confessions Tour on DVD in 2007 in a time when anyone who took picture quality seriously had already moved onto Blu-Ray.  And let's not even talk about the SVCD quality Celebration DVD set.

Anyhow - that's my dream and I'm sticking to it.

1 hour ago, Dj Garrido said:

But let´s be honest: her last two entrances on Billboard Hot 100 were with GMAYL (top #8) and Bitch I´m Madonna (top #84).

I was thinking that too. She hasn't really had any top 100 hits since Celebration.  Remixes and Club Play is where it's at for her.

1 hour ago, fiercemighty said:

In the age of streaming greatest hits collections don't seem very relevant anymore imo. Unless of course the songs are re-recorded (like what Blondie did in 2014 for their 40th), reworked (like Kylie's Abbey Road Sessions), or there are new and/or previously unreleased tracks included.

I know people keep repeating the "greatest hits collections are dead in the streaming age" mantra but that's actually not necessarily true. Kylie's 2019 greatest hits package is a great example - it sold pretty well (gold certification in UK), hit top 10 in many countries (#1 in UK). Same goes for The Weeknd's recent hits compilation (and that one didn't come in 120 different formats like Kylie's did). And thanks to streaming rules greatest hits packages keep popping up on the charts a lot (https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/aug/07/all-killer-no-filler-why-greatest-hits-are-back-at-the-top-of-the-album-charts).

As for the fact Madonna hasn't had a hit since GMAYL (brought up by someone else in this thread), that's completely irrelevant. Lack of recent chart toppers never stopped countless "best of" compilations from Elvis, Aretha, Beatles, etc, etc. It's pure marketing in the end, if you can make money on existing product, you repackage it and market it so it feels fresh and new. There's also the added benefit of introducing new audience to artist's back catalogue. :)

my idea for a new remix album

MADONNA

STRIKE A POSE - The Remix Album

1. Vogue - Remixed by Jodie Harsh
  2. Express Yourself - Remixed by Purple Disco Machine
  3. Like a Virgin - Remixed by Diplo
  4. Justify My Erotic Love (Mashup) - Remixed by Honey Dijion 
  5. Like a Prayer - Remixed by MNEK
  6. Hung Up - Remixed by Initial Talk
  7. American Life - Remixed by Basement Jaxx
  8. Papa Don't Preach - Remixed by Mark Ronson
  9. Human Nature - Remixed by Todd Terry
  10. Frozen / Open Your Heart - Remixed by Jacques Lu Cont
  11. La Isla Bonita - Remixed by The Blessed Madonna
  12. Medellin - Remixed by Calvin Harris
  13. Ray Of Light - Remixed by Galantis
  14. Holiday - Remixed by KAYTRANDA
  15. Into The Groove - Remixed by David Guetta
  16. Music - Remixed by Tiësto
  17. Everybody - Remixed by Silk City

16 hours ago, louis.exe said:

my idea for a new remix album

MADONNA

STRIKE A POSE - The Remix Album

1. Vogue - Remixed by Jodie Harsh
  2. Express Yourself - Remixed by Purple Disco Machine
  3. Like a Virgin - Remixed by Diplo
  4. Justify My Erotic Love (Mashup) - Remixed by Honey Dijion 
  5. Like a Prayer - Remixed by MNEK
  6. Hung Up - Remixed by Initial Talk
  7. American Life - Remixed by Basement Jaxx
  8. Papa Don't Preach - Remixed by Mark Ronson
  9. Human Nature - Remixed by Todd Terry
  10. Frozen / Open Your Heart - Remixed by Jacques Lu Cont
  11. La Isla Bonita - Remixed by The Blessed Madonna
  12. Medellin - Remixed by Calvin Harris
  13. Ray Of Light - Remixed by Galantis
  14. Holiday - Remixed by KAYTRANDA
  15. Into The Groove - Remixed by David Guetta
  16. Music - Remixed by Tiësto
  17. Everybody - Remixed by Silk City

This is what I think would be great/different idea! With maybe more songs than your idea but same premise! Also at least 2 new tracks!

23 hours ago, fiercemighty said:

For new artists? Absolutely. But last GH from Kylie shows that it can sell well, it just depends on the fanbase. And I believe we (Madonna fans) still buy physical copies. 

59 minutes ago, James19709 said:

There  hasn't really been any singles worthy of appearing on a greatest hits collection since Celebration was released

It's true. From 2009 to 2019 her "greatest hits" were only album tracks. If they include "album tracks" on the third "greatest hits" CD would be amazing (Love spent , Gang Bang,  I'm Addicted, Falling Free, Devil Pray, Rebel Heart, etc, etc, etc.).

Anyway, I still wanna a box set, not a generic greatest hits

She didn’t have any greatest hits since confessions. If her team wants to release another. compilation, another STR might be the only thing that might make a little sense, especially if a few new tracks are included. There are a couple of mostly older people who might remember a few of her ballads and would go for a ballad compilation as they would know there wouldn’t be any Bitch I‘m Madonna on it. However, the GP will rather stream her songs than buying another compilation.