What is Madonna's most divisive track among fans?

Lum

1 hour ago, Glindathegood said:

Die Another Day. I personally love it but it’s very untraditional for a Bond song. 

Mmm, my boyfriend loves Madonna but it's not fan. However, he is fan of Bond's fims. He likes Die Another Day but he always tell me that it's really hated by Bond's fans. Madonna's fans like/love Die Another Day in general...

9 hours ago, Pootz333 said:

"Don't Stop"

"Medellin"

"Superstar"

"I Love New York"

"Push"

"Living For Love"

"4 Minutes"

"Masterpiece"

care to provide any explanation? Because this seems like you put some random songs together and posted it

Never seen any fan controversy amongst fans about most of these songs

Edited by maddy1111sk (see edit history)

Dislike:

Most of RH songs but especially; "Veni vidi vici", whhyyyyyy???  "Bitch im Madonna", really?? she sounds like Riri. "Autotune baby", could be a poor Katy Perry song. I see her performing the song with inflatable babies eaten by inflatable sharks on stage :lol:. "Iconic", is a good opener ok, but the album version is flat. There is that one demo version where the songs evolves in a drum n base beat sort of, at the end. That what the song needs, a highlight!! 

"B-day song", "L.U.V-Madonna" :cry: i dislike them b cause the make Madonna sound everything else than a serious taken artist...not even for the sake of being cheeky or funny.

"Incredible", has the same effect on me like BIM. "youre welcome to my party..." really ? Could b a cool Britney song however. I like M's voice in the verses though.

"Faz gostoso", could be a cool song for....Nelly Furtado (i actually wonder why M hasnt worked with Furtado in MX since she has Portuguese roots hasnt she?)

"One more chance", "What if feels like...", i dont dislike the songs but M's voice sounds bored to me. Luckily she did "Lo que siente" in spanish version on DWT that was great. 

23 hours ago, YourInnerIsland said:

is there any fan loving "B-Day Song"? like for real?

It's cute.  Sure it's dumb and silly and probably didn't need to be released, but I can play it on my own bday and smile.  I don't think it's at all meant to be taken for anything other than a dorky, fun little song.  People put a whole lot of energy into hating what seems like essentially an in-studio joke.  I don't think her intention was to hold it up to "Like a Prayer" and say "Listen to my new masterwork!"

6 hours ago, maddy1111sk said:

care to provide any explanation? Because this seems like you put some random songs together and posted it

Never seen any fan controversy amongst fans about most of these songs

I've seen fans either love or hate those songs. Lyrics, production, single choice. Some of them surprised me. Like "Don't Stop". I had no idea (until I started trolling around these forums) how many fans really don't like that song. Or the Bedtime Stories album in general.

On 6/21/2021 at 8:45 PM, momosfantasy said:

It's cute.  Sure it's dumb and silly and probably didn't need to be released, but I can play it on my own bday and smile.  I don't think it's at all meant to be taken for anything other than a dorky, fun little song.  People put a whole lot of energy into hating what seems like essentially an in-studio joke.  I don't think her intention was to hold it up to "Like a Prayer" and say "Listen to my new masterwork!"

true, she doesn't have to be serious all the time and that's why I instantly fell in love with Bitch I'm Madonna, Unapologetic Bitch, Holy Water... etc

but B-Day Song sounds like a big greasy fart to me. the lyrics and the melody are annoying as fuck and uninspired like never. I regret she included it on the final tracklist (even tho it was a "deluxe" track).

funny how everyone's taste and appreciation are different tho!

Edited by YourInnerIsland (see edit history)

1 hour ago, TonyMontana said:

Most divisive song i'm not sure but album without a doubt it's Madame X. It's either trashed or praised. In the past it used to be American Life (The album) but Madame X surpassed it for dividing her fanbase !

American Life is one of her masterpieces to me! Madame X as well. to a lesser extent but still

everyone loves Like A Prayer since 1989, even non-Madonna fans. I only enjoyed the live arrangements and I started loving and worshipping the original when the remixes were released on Apple. 30+ years later is original release and 15 years since I discovered her music...

I would say most of the songs from Hard Candy to Madame X. You have people who love those albums and people who hate them. Before Hard Candy I would say American Life, I'm so Stupid, Cry Baby, Love Song, Jimmy Jimmy, Love Makes the World Go Around, Shoo-Bee-Doo... to name a few. I've seen people arguing about those songs a lot. 

Anyways, you know... in taste, nothing is written. We can't even agree that Superstar is trash :Madonna009:

Well, I usually hated songs like "Jimmy, Jimmy", "White Heat" "Act of Contrition" or similar songs... But after 30 years of play those albums, those fucking songs bring me back very good memories, and now I like them. I even make the food singing "Jimmy, Jimmy, oh, Jimmy, Jimmy" (and I hate myself)...

Incredible, I smile with those songs after 30 years of hating them... 

I had this idea about ranking her concert set lists by only allowing us to show if we love love or a hate each song. Considering the mixes she used live being (often times very) different from the album versions, this might be a fun thread… if we distribute our critisim evenly with the praising, of course… lol. What do you guys think?

Like so:

Concert setlist 50:50 rating

Future Lovers (hate)

I feel Love (hate)

Get together (love)

Lav (love)

Jump (love)

Confessions (hate)

Etc.

What do you think? Might this be worth creating a new thread or do we need to be conscious about not spreading too much negativity?

I loved Beautiful Game when she did it the first time at the MET but when it became Dark Ballet, I was shocked and disappointed. I feel like it had more potential but the released version feels like it was just a concept demo of what had already been written and then had that nutcracker thrown in at random. Like WTF?

Almost as bad as the incohesiveness caused by Diplo not properly organizing stems to a point at which this makes Rebel Heart the second album with wasted oppourtunites. The leaked demos are proof of that! And the fact that THAT version of Hold Tight made the cut and the one with the better lyrics and more exciting melody didn't almost made me a little emotional… not necessarily in a good way.

I think MDNA has the highest number of hated songs on one album:

I mean Some Girls??? Was she already doing weed in 2012? 
'I fucked up' really? A ballad which had FUCK in its title? 
Omg! And B-Day-Song. I can't even. If I ever go to a club to celebrate my birthday and the DJ knows that I'm a huge M fan and decides to play that, Imma head straight outta there!

Gimmie all your Luvin' The predecessor to BIM. I play a lot of M while I'm in the shower. Whenever one of thoses two comes on, I'm screaming at Siri to skip ASAP.

I don't ever play Falling Free but don't mind it when Spotify decides to play it. It's not underwhelmingly bad but pales in comparison to Masterpiece. 

Superstar is also one of my most hated. I feel like MDNA is such a bumpy ride. Some of the songs are really good but I hate almost half of them with a burning passion.

On 6/20/2021 at 7:08 PM, captainjay said:

Runaway Lover was very decisive when Music came out, I remember that clearly. Amazing was up there as well for being a complete rip-off of Beautiful Stranger and Ray Of Light. 

I agree with those sentiments. The near misstep Warner almost did but Madonna stopped was trying to make Amazing a single. The critics would've torn it to shreds for being Beautiful Stranger-Lite.

Well, I still read A LOT of sh*t about tracks such as Take a Bow, Ray of Light, American Pie, Don't Tell Me, Jump, Give It 2 Me, and I honestly don't get the hate... anyway, they are successful singles that are still performing pretty well on Spotify, therefore all those negative opinions from some "fans" won't change anything; they must be same people who praise garbage such as I'm Breathless, MDNA, Rebel Heart and Madame X :lol:

17 hours ago, MCL_1993 said:

Gimmie all your Luvin' The predecessor to BIM. I play a lot of M while I'm in the shower. Whenever one of thoses two comes on, I'm screaming at Siri to skip ASAP.

I don't ever play Falling Free but don't mind it when Spotify decides to play it. It's not underwhelmingly bad but pales in comparison to Masterpiece. 

Give me all your Luvin' is the predecessor to BIM like "Jimmy, Jimmy" is the predecessor of "Ray of Light" and "Vogue".

Masterpiece is really really good, but "Falling Free" is amazing. I play "Falling Free" and "Love Spent" non-stop. Masterpiece not so much.