360 Deal & Madonna

Xander

26 minutes ago, deathproof said:

She didn’t keep a low profile. She worked her ass off, and gave the fans what they wanted, and delivered content that the general public enjoyed. 

Opposite to Madonna who really doesn't care about us. She just wants our money and end of story.

i don't know what was done or not done but i can't think of one person who signed one of these deals that did not fell off a cliff. Maybe jay z but Jay z has been more of a business man (and a puppeteer) this last decade than an artist himself. Madonna hurt pretty bad but not as much as Robbie Williams. Consider what he was around the world (except in the usa) and what he is now, it's scary. it's like he stopped caring once he signed that deal. But what streamings, these deals and the end of music labels and big recording companies showed is that a good A&R  management is good for the artist. Even before that just, two examples of two music icons : David Bowie and Prince. Compare their careers and the quality of their albums before and after they left RCA (for bowie) and Warner (Prince). These record companies were obviously doing more than just distributing and promoting the music. Sometimes artists who are geniuses need editors to canalize their art. 

On 7/7/2021 at 6:49 PM, deathproof said:

Sorry, but Mariah was literally a laughing stock and written off as a messy has been a few years ago. She’s done a 360 and restored her reputation. THAT is still a comeback.

TWICE. Mariah was a laughing stock and written off as messy twice and she managed to restore her reputation both times. Honestly, I think going public with and actually self-acknowledging her bipolar diagnosis really helped Mariah in terms of being more at peace and in control of her life. 

On 7/7/2021 at 7:40 PM, Roland Barthes said:

Madonna hurt pretty bad but not as much as Robbie Williams. Consider what he was around the world (except in the usa) and what he is now, it's scary. it's like he stopped caring once he signed that deal. But what streamings, these deals and the end of music labels and big recording companies showed is that a good A&R 

What are you talking about Robbie Williams stopped caring? that's ridiculous.  He consistently and continues to release quality music. What you're saying makes  no sense.

Moving forward, i could see Madonna releasing new music under the same “licensing and distribution” deal via Boy Toy Inc. but instead of having a traditional record deal for 3-4 albums in 10 yrs, she just creates the music and  shops it to a label for licensing and distribution as it’s completed, or releasing it independently via digital outlets like Apple Music or Amazon. As mentioned earlier, a good A&R team and a smart promotional strategy is necessary for artists like Madonna that spent so many years having her needs met with WB. I’m not sure those teams exist in the same way at record labels anymore though, so it’s easy to get lost if the artist drops an album, then disappears for 3mos to prepare for a tour. Since Hard Candy/Sticky and Sweet, there’s been little to no time for the album to gestate with the audiences. 

as a fan for so long, I’ll  always have a soft spot for physical releases, particularly vinyl, but it’s not a necessity for me as far as new music is concerned.  

I think the choice of 360 branding was half baked for most of the duration, the gyms, the ToD perfume/shoe/lingerie fiasco,  MDNA skin should’ve done better had the promotional spots been about actual skincare instead of the Fat Jewish, and fantasy clips that served Steven Klein videography, and Andy Lecompte’s wig line more than the high quality and well packaged skincare products it was promoting. I know this from a cosmetics buyer at a MAJOR department store in the US. It was a difficult product to sell because it was marketed as a fashion makeup line instead of skincare. 

hopefully she won’t fall into this trap again. I can’t quite find the right word to describe her attitude,  but it’s obvious she’s felt trapped in a deal that she had to see through, regardless of the artistic output, after MDNA and the tour, she seemed defiant to be the cash cow of Live Nation. And Guy Oseary’s moguldom during that time seemed to be a self-serving move for him, just sayin’….
I mean, who does A&R, signs acts like Alanis Morrisette, and then runs that same record company for years without figuring out how to release singles, videos, etc, or know how to work the system behind the scenes for airplay and  exposure?  
does anyone here think it was Madonna’s goal or idea to premiere a video on Meerkat? Or SnapChat? Or have a product tie-in with a vodka company to launch an album? I know this how the music market is, and has been for some time, but most artists that do a vanity fragrance or fashion line at least seem to take it seriously, however much their actual input into product development is. 
madonna seemed to almost make fun of them as they were being launched. Death to the patriarchy, indeed. 

Again, moving forward, I’d like to see a more organic approach to her output. Whatever those products are: music, film, or whatever she wants to do. There’s been a lack of something…class, integrity, sincerity? 

4 hours ago, RebelHeartbreak said:

as a fan for so long, I’ll  always have a soft spot for physical releases, particularly vinyl, but it’s not a necessity for me as far as new music is concerned.  

Well physical releases have been making a big comeback in the last few years and it’s continuing to be a growing trend. Merchandise is also a big chunk of revenue. 
Even artists that make a ton of money from streaming are putting a lot of effort into physical releases these days.

If she goes fully digital you won’t say goodbye only to a vinyl release but also elaborate photoshoots, music videos and all the rest of the stuff that makes her releases exciting. And until now we always had the big tours that offered all that. But it seems exhausted by touring and she will either take a very long break or do small things like MXT.

Bur, judging by the diversity of releases for Madame X, I doubt she’ll take that route anytime soon

13 hours ago, thegoldencalf said:

Well physical releases have been making a big comeback in the last few years and it’s continuing to be a growing trend. Merchandise is also a big chunk of revenue. 
Even artists that make a ton of money from streaming are putting a lot of effort into physical releases these days.

If she goes fully digital you won’t say goodbye only to a vinyl release but also elaborate photoshoots, music videos and all the rest of the stuff that makes her releases exciting. And until now we always had the big tours that offered all that. But it seems exhausted by touring and she will either take a very long break or do small things like MXT.

Bur, judging by the diversity of releases for Madame X, I doubt she’ll take that route anytime soon

I understand all of that. And I would be disappointed if she did go that route, I’m just saying it’s not a necessity for me as a fan as far as the delivery of new music is concerned. Especially since she seems invested in continuing to curate her image whether it’s for publication, album promotion, or for social media. 

Just as an example, I was glad that the UK Vogue issue had an exclusive photo shoot for Madame X,, and that it was a good interview, but I couldn’t find a physical copy of that issue in my city, but I own it digitally, which sucks, but at least I have it. My back catalogue of magazines goes all the way back to her first cover of Rolling Stone, and every issue she’s been on since. Every Vanity Fair issue, Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar, interview, Time Magazine, The Face, Q, etc etc. 

And also, if I listen to the Like A Prayer album, the 180gram reissue is great, but my original copy still smells like patchouli, so my preference is to listen to  that copy, as it takes me back for a full sensory experience. 

the 360 deals seem to flood the market with “exclusive”, “limited edition”, “ultra deluxe” etc. because it’s so heavily tilted towards merchandising. If that the future, fine. But it’s not a necessity for me to enjoy new Madonna music. 

But for a lot of older fans having a physical copy of music is a necessity. I’m a fan of some other artists from the 80’s and 90’s and when they have tried to release digital only music, there has been a big backlash from fans. Fans say they won’t buy it if it’s only digital or even listen to it. 

On 7/9/2021 at 4:49 PM, brank000 said:

What are you talking about Robbie Williams stopped caring? that's ridiculous.  He consistently and continues to release quality music. What you're saying makes  no sense.

At the same level he used to ? In what world ? Not this one. And i am the one who makes no sense...

8 hours ago, Glindathegood said:

But for a lot of older fans having a physical copy of music is a necessity. I’m a fan of some other artists from the 80’s and 90’s and when they have tried to release digital only music, there has been a big backlash from fans. Fans say they won’t buy it if it’s only digital or even listen to it. 

Nevermind.