What is Secret song about?

mdnx99

9 hours ago, thegoldencalf said:

So he stole Whitney’s song? ??

Seriously man! Systemic racism is real but you need to get a grip!

I'm just repeating what was reported about him from other people during his time.  when he was alive he was extremely jealous of talented black artist and stole their ideas.

Edited by byebyebaby (see edit history)

1 hour ago, byebyebaby said:

I'm just repeating what was reported about him from other people during his time.  when he was alive he was extremely jealous of talented black artist and stole their ideas.

And it’s true. He did take a lot from black musicians and in that context it is an issue because black musicians were not properly rewarded for their success.

But saying that Madonna ripped off Whitney’s Heartbreak Hotel with Heartbreak City, when the two songs have absolutely nothing in common is ridiculous.

I’m not sure what your age is and if you even existed in the 80s and 90s but Madonna did a lot to bring visibility of black culture and issues into the white racist mainstream. In a time when major white artists were not doing that and it was frowned upon.

Some young woke people love to call her an imperialist and a slave owner for Vogue. But anyone who was actually in the ballroom community at the time will tell you a different story. They all loved her for bringing their art into the mainstream and being transparent where the inspiration came from. 
She worked with ballroom performers (and made them rich in the process) and put the spotlight on them. She’s never been conceited about it and never claimed it as her own.

Same with Bedtime Stories. At the time she was emerged in a multicultural group of people (Tupac, Melodie McDaniels, Carlos Léon, Spike Lee, Rosie Perez, Denis Rodman etc) and of course that inspired her. And once again she used this opportunity to shine a spotlight on black culture…

Its so infuriating when people inform themselves selectively and not look at the whole picture!

1 hour ago, thegoldencalf said:

And it’s true. He did take a lot from black musicians and in that context it is an issue because black musicians were not properly rewarded for their success.

But saying that Madonna ripped off Whitney’s Heartbreak Hotel with Heartbreak City, when the two songs have absolutely nothing in common is ridiculous.

I’m not sure what your age is and if you even existed in the 80s and 90s but Madonna did a lot to bring visibility of black culture and issues into the white racist mainstream. In a time when major white artists were not doing that and it was frowned upon.

Some young woke people love to call her an imperialist and a slave owner for Vogue. But anyone who was actually in the ballroom community at the time will tell you a different story. They all loved her for bringing their art into the mainstream and being transparent where the inspiration came from. 
She worked with ballroom performers (and made them rich in the process) and put the spotlight on them. She’s never been conceited about it and never claimed it as her own.

Same with Bedtime Stories. At the time she was emerged in a multicultural group of people (Tupac, Melodie McDaniels, Carlos Léon, Spike Lee, Rosie Perez, Denis Rodman etc) and of course that inspired her. And once again she used this opportunity to shine a spotlight on black culture…

Its so infuriating when people inform themselves selectively and not look at the whole picture!

I can accept and agree with everything you said but I still feel Madonna is a fan of Whitney Houston and is inspired by her with few songs from rebel heart and during the bedtime stories era (Forbidden Love, Take a Bow) working with babyface back in the 90s.  the bodyguard exhale shoop shoop 

Living for Love / Nothin' But Love, Worth It, For the Lovers

Devil Pray / I Look to You

unapologetic bitch / Million Dollar Bill, Salute

HeartBreakCity / Heartbreak Hotel

The song 'Secret' is about being inspired by somebody. You meet this special someone in your life and they have that certain something... a 'secret' that they use to inspire you in your own life. This person offers you lessons to learn and to motivate you in your life. Your life is never the same after it has been affected by this special someone. The 'secret' is this special, unknown quality and power that they hold :heart:.

M confirmed this when she introduced the song during the Drowned World Tour film - as she dedicated it to her father. However, she regularly introduced the song by saying it was about 'being inspired':