Time stood still question

dead or alive

Madonna picked the music for the soundtrack  and it was under Maverick.

It was produced with Orbit in purpose for the movie along American Pie that it was requested by Rupert Everet.

And then gave away without much interest to Ellie Lawson for her track Inside Out.

I feel they were expecting more out of it but the movie was a flop so couldn't care about the song?

"In December of 1999, it was revealed by British house music DJ Sasha (who had contributed remixes to the Ray of Light single) that he and William Orbit had begun production on Madonna’s next album, exclaiming a “progressive house feel to it”. These sessions began in September 1999 and gave birth to a cover of Don McLean’s American Pie and an original track Time Stood Still, released on the soundtrack for the film “The Next Best Thing” that following year to which Madonna also starred."

Source:

https://lucascava.medium.com/madonna-mirwais-an-impressive-instant-chapter-1-music-f6b50619b3e5

19 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

The instrumental for TSS was included in that in-house audio DVD containing scraps from the early Music recording sessions.

So I think it was originally intended for the Music album

I think it was recorded when they were doing Music sessions but intentionally for the movie that was released few months later. The lyrics are too obvious. Or maybe they were planning to add it to Music (EU released) instead of American Pie ( that would be 100 times better)

In that Mark Endert interview he says she brought the two songs as an extra apart from Music

16 minutes ago, EgoRod said:

I think it was recorded when they were doing Music sessions but intentionally for the movie that was released few months later. The lyrics are too obvious. Or maybe they were planning to add it to Music (EU released) instead of American Pie ( that would be 100 times better)

In that Mark Endert interview he says she brought the two songs as an extra apart from Music

I've always thought the "Time Stood Still" lyrics are about her relationship with Andy Bird, not the movie. He was going to be "the next best thing to happen", as he was a very talented screenwriter and had the potential to get to Hollywood. "All the things we could have been" - she was very in love with him and he was in love with her but ultimately he couldn't commit to her world and her life, it was too much for him.

They ended her relationship at the beginning of 1999, so the timing fits - and the lyrics too.

Maybe the song was initially for the "Music" album sessions (or the early stages or what would be the new album, anyway) but for some reason she thought it would be better for the movie?

8 hours ago, Jet said:

Isn’t it “maybe you’re the next best thing to having all the things we might have been” though? I thought it was written purely for the film, or maybe adapted from another demo and used for the film. American pie was recorded for the film too after Rupert Everett suggested she do it as she sings it in the film at the funeral.

No official lyrics printed anywhere (I think, at least not on the booklet of the album) but on Genius and everywhere else it says "the next best thing to happen":

https://genius.com/Madonna-time-stood-still-lyrics

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/madonna/timestoodstill.html

3 hours ago, Jet said:

Yeah I know, it’s just never made sense to me that way ??‍♂️

"Maybe you're the next best thing to happen" only makes senses if she's singing it about a person about to make it big, hence the Andy Bird theory. :cute: Plus "all the things we might have been", etc.