Edit to Edit

EgoRod

This is a genuine conversation, open to opinions and comments.

Is not about what's best or worst.

What's the deal with edits? Apart from the radio playing. Edits supposed to be a shorter, censored version with the most relevant and compacted punches in the tune in a minimum time.

For me if I love a song I actually don't want it to be short, quite the opposite. If an artist work in a length to tell or express their idea, cropping and chopping to the essential seems (to me) a bit rude.

I do value the type of edits that work with the original stems and kinda recreate a different take of the similar idea. But I see these more like a mix.

There are big fans of edits, that's why I'm asking publicly, Why do you love of edits? When do you think are a good idea? Why edits are better than the original album version?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Angelman60 said:

I collect official edits because when I love a song, I need to have all versions of it, but just like you, I like the full length deal.

Yeah exactly for the collectable side of it.

But that's when I struggle with local edits, because they tend to be a mess the most part of the times

Some remixes have a great new arranjment, but comes along with endeless instrumental parts or repeated verses. So sometimes they are tiring for listening in day by day or even more in a party with lots of people with different favorites singers and types of music. So it´s great to have a more enjoyable 4" lenght of a great version/remix with all her essencial elements. I´m not a native English speaker. I hope I made myself clear and gentle. 

4 minutes ago, Dj Garrido said:

Some remixes have a great new arranjment, but comes along with endeless instrumental parts or repeated verses. So sometimes they are tiring for listening in day by day or even more in a party with lots of people with different favorites singers and types of music. So it´s great to have a more enjoyable 4" lenght of a great version/remix with all her essencial elements. I´m not a native English speaker. I hope I made myself clear and gentle. 

Yeah it does, thanks.

I can understand a DJ edit for example, because it gets play in a set and as you said, you might don't want to go 2 minutes on with a beat or instrumental part

I love the Edits because many times they are better than the album version. Many of you see the edits like a "censored version to fix a minimum time" and that is not true.

Many edits give to the artist the possibility to "enhance" the original song, adding new instrumentation, removing repetitives or boring parts of the original song. Yes, some edits are awful (when the original creators are not involved) but the good ones are usually superior to the album version (Check "open your heart", "Like A Prayer", "Express Yourself", "Cherish" "Keep It Together", etc, etc, etc).

And talking about the "Remix Edits", many remixes are too long and repetitives and they really need a "Edit" version.

Another reason is because when you love so much a song, you want to get all the versions.

On 7/21/2021 at 5:40 PM, Angelman60 said:

Ho I was talking about edits only. Of course I love when they use and rearrange the multitrack for a new mix. But I call them single mix not edits 

Yes, many times the line between "Single Mix" and "Edits" is blurred... But I say the same talking about pure edits, it's a way to "enhance" the song removing certain parts (for example Medellin or Fever).

8 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

Many edits give to the artist the possibility to "enhance" the original song, adding new instrumentation, removing repetitives or boring parts of the original song. Yes, some edits are awful (when the original creators are not involved) but the good ones are usually superior to the album version (Check "open your heart", "Like A Prayer", "Express Yourself", "Cherish" "Keep It Together", etc, etc, etc).

Yes Yes! That "Keep It Together " 7" mix (to me) is 100 times better than the album version.  I haven't listened to the album version in years due the edit being far superior. 

In general I enjoy edits if there's something different to them and they aren't just a fade or cut and paste of an album version. There are some songs in their full length form that I can't stomach, so an edit is the only way for me to listen to them ("Holiday" being a good example of that).

Apart from radio play and collecting purposes, edits are useful for compilation albums. 

An audio CD is designed to hold up to 80 minutes of music and for example, if Madonna's Celebration replaced the album versions with shorter single edits, you could probably fit 2-4 more tracks (Holiday, Like A Prayer, Material Girl, La Isla Bonita, Papa Don't Preach, Burning Up, Who's That Girl, Frozen, Take A Bow, Live To Tell, Beautiful Stranger, Hollywood, Die Another Day).

And GHV2 is an interesting case because they used single edits but there was still enough space for 13 minutes of music (at least 3 more hits).

59 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

I love the Edits because many times they are better than the album version. Many of you see the edits like a "censored version to fix a minimum time" and that is not true.

And talking about the "Remix Edits", many remixes are too long and repetitives and they really need a "Edit" version.

Another reason is because when you love so much a song, you want to get all the versions.

Yeah I was referring to clean edits for radio.

But if the artist wanted the song to have that length and pace why someone else would come and cropped it?

I do agree with some remix edits being pretty good and bringing something else, thou (like keep it together) but I think this is what I mean with using them with the stems and creating something else.

I love the extended versions on the other hand. I can listen to 10 minutes of Open your heart or Keep it Together

13 minutes ago, EgoRod said:

But if the artist wanted the song to have that length and pace why someone else would come and cropped it?

I love the extended versions on the other hand. I can listen to 10 minutes of Open your heart or Keep it Together

Many times, a song have a length and pace based on the rest of the album. They are changed a little to fix in a full album. But we are talking here about singles, and the song must work alone without the rest of the album, and some changes may be necesary (and in my opinion many edits are better than the album version). I love Live To Tell with passion, but I still prefer the single version when I play the song without play the rest of True Blue. 

PS: When I love a song, I can listen it half hour in loop. 

20 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

Many times, a song have a length and pace based on the rest of the album. They are changed a little to fix in a full album. But we are talking here about singles, and the song must work alone without the rest of the album, and some changes may be necesary (and in my opinion many edits are better than the album version). I love Live To Tell with passion, but I still prefer the single version when I play the song without play the rest of True Blue. 

PS: When I love a song, I can listen it half hour in loop. 

Good point

1 hour ago, EgoRod said:

Yeah I was referring to clean edits for radio.

I do agree with some remix edits being pretty good and bringing something else, thou (like keep it together) but I think this is what I mean with using them with the stems and creating something else.

If a song runs too long or has an intro that’s not radio friendly, the radio DJs will chop it off themselves or not play it at all.

So the label is offering them a much better version. A good example is Vogue.

Also some songs are too long to be pressed on a 7” that was a very common release in the 80s. So they need an edit that can fit on it.

7 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

Also some songs are too long to be pressed on a 7” that was a very common release in the 80s. So they need an edit that can fit on it.

This is a little mith. I have 7'' with extended versions. For example Vogue has as B-Side the "Bette Davis Dub" and the running time is 7:24. But a song too long can affect the sound quality on the vinyl. 

29 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

If a song runs too long or has an intro that’s not radio friendly, the radio DJs will chop it off themselves or not play it at all.

So the label is offering them a much better version. A good example is Vogue.

Yeah the radio part is clear.

I was talking about other instances when edits are valid or more interesting than the original itself. And it's as well an open conversation about why some people like them or not.

There are interesting points in the whole thread.

2 hours ago, EgoRod said:

Yeah the radio part is clear.

I was talking about other instances when edits are valid or more interesting than the original itself. And it's as well an open conversation about why some people like them or not.

There are interesting points in the whole thread.

Personally I like longer songs so if the edit doesn’t have any new elements I don’t care about it. The only edits I prefer over the album versions are Holiday and Everybody (the real edit not the fade).

I wish one day we’d get The Immaculate Collection with the full unedited edits.

For me these short versions sometimes make the title even more dynamic. Once erased, certain secondes or minutess that may seem repetitive give a new energy to the song.

A song like LUCKY STAR for exemple is more dynamic with its edit version than the LP one.

Sometimes you have to be honest, some are really missed and said as a fan "but no, why deleted this ?!" HOLIDAY for exemple is awful for me : "Holiday, Celebration, Come Together in Every Nation" doen't really features on the edit version.

And I don't talk about NOTHING FAILS, it’s the worst of all :salty:

5 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

Yes, the real problem with the IC are the edits. Too short.

The "unedited edits" from IC are real or are they just a rumor? 

For the most part I think the edits on the Immaculate Collection are perfect for what they are. Songs like Holiday, Lucky Star, Borderline and Live To Tell in their album version form are just too long. Songs like Material Girl, Like a Virgin, Papa Don't Preach and Open Your Heart retained their "soul" even though having seconds chopped off.

I wonder if Who's That Girl was ever edited, or if it was taken off of the album before they decided to do the the Q-Sound and editing..

16 hours ago, thegoldencalf said:

The only edits I prefer over the album versions are Holiday and Everybody (the real edit not the fade).

100%

16 hours ago, Material Girl said:

HOLIDAY for exemple is awful for me : "Holiday, Celebration, Come Together in Every Nation" doen't really features on the edit version.

I didn't even notice they took that out. I find any edit of Holiday to be a lot more palatable then the album version.

6 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

Yes, the real problem with the IC are the edits. Too short.

The "unedited edits" from IC are real or are they just a rumor? 

Ha I have no idea. I just said I’d love to have them. I feel like the songs were mixed as edits not as full versions and then then edited. 
But I’m sure at least some of the original mixes are longer and then further edited down to fit on CD length.

15 minutes ago, brank000 said:

For the most part I think the edits on the Immaculate Collection are perfect for what they are. Songs like Holiday, Lucky Star, Borderline and Live To Tell in their album version form are just too long. Songs like Material Girl, Like a Virgin, Papa Don't Preach and Open Your Heart retained their "soul" even though having seconds chopped off.

I wonder if Who's That Girl was ever edited, or if it was taken off of the album before they decided to do the the Q-Sound and editing..

100%

I don’t agree. I find that Lucky Star and Borderline fade way too early. PDP is nothing without the instrumental part at the end (even if I can’t tell the difference between the original and the Celebration video mix). Cherish is the worst. The Cherish Cherish intro starts and then the track fades out. And La Isla Bonita is weird without the intro.

The edits I find 100% perfect are Vogue and Material Girl.

Also I always fantasized about the album having some short interludes, like Janet’s albums. With elements from other songs that were not included.

I don’t think WTG was ever mixed for the album. I assume it was scrapped from the start since it’s too similar to La Isla Bonita 

48 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

I don’t agree. I find that Lucky Star and Borderline fade way too early. PDP is nothing without the instrumental part at the end (even if I can’t tell the difference between the original and the Celebration video mix). Cherish is the worst. The Cherish Cherish intro starts and then the track fades out. And La Isla Bonita is weird without the intro.

I disagree about Lucky Star and Borderline and Papa Don't Preach. I think they're fine on TIC. I do agree with you about Cherish and La Isla (that's why I said "For the most part")

50 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

The edits I find 100% perfect are Vogue and Material Girl.

Yes yes. For me This version of Vogue is way better than the album version.

53 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

I don’t think WTG was ever mixed for the album. I assume it was scrapped from the start since it’s too similar to La Isla Bonita

I'm waiting for someone to jump in and say it was mixed for The Immaculate Collection with the cougar noises and put on only their edition of the Holiday Collection cassette :lol:

12 minutes ago, EgoRod said:

Do anyone knows why the Itunes version has Lucky Star (US remix version) that goes for 7:16?

I think this is one of the biggest mysteries in Madonnaland