Edit to Edit

EgoRod

1 hour ago, playpause said:

I love that @EgoRodhas started this conversation.

Are we talking official, radio edits ? Is this about remix edits, shorter versions of club stuff that was hardly made for airplay ? Fan edits ? Unofficial recreations of vinyl cuts ?

It goes so far. 

I think that's part of the banter, the different edits, the reason for them, personal choices. Maybe it's easier to stick to official stuff.

But mainly about having edits of longer versions.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like what Stuart Price did with it for the Re-Invention Tour. It's the same mix but not completly.

Well we talk about edit, but this title came with some songs when it's not really some edited versions.

I'm wondering why the term "edit" came for some single like

R2KDyrj.jpg

7u4QHvj.jpg

VpvPGNb.jpg

DV9Gqzi.jpg

wErpaoT.jpg

yLpkLKA.jpg

RiYAUGH.jpg

cTEoddK.jpg

I would have called it a fade version but it's not so simple. So what is considered like an edit ?

Are these kind of short versions are edit for you ?

4 minutes ago, Material Girl said:

I like what Stuart Price did with it for the Re-Invention Tour. It's the same mix but not completly.

Well we talk about edit, but this title came with some songs when it's not really some edited versions.

I'm wondering why the term "edit" came for some single like

I would have called it a fade version but it's not so simple. So what is considered like an edit ?

Are these kind of short versions are edit for you ?

Technically fades are edits.

On 7/23/2021 at 11:52 AM, EgoRod said:

A censored version is one edit to be acceptable in the society that it's been play/shown/ under whatever rules or whoever determined that.

In the US and UK swearing is blipped or dubbed in movies, music and alike. Think whatever you want to adorn that, but the proper term is censored version of the original.

Prohibiting, banning and other actions taken against it is a different world.

That is no censorship, it simply isn’t. Because the book, film, piece of music is available in an unedited form both in the UK and the US. Maybe not on the radio but on CD. Maybe not on TV but on DVD. There is no way you can compare that to non-democratic countries where certain opinions or pieces of culture are completely forbidden and people are punished if they read or watch certain things. 

9 hours ago, EgoRod said:

From what I know edits might have parts enhanced, elements added, pitch adjusted to make it punchier and stronger over all.

No, an edited version is just a shorter, cut version of the full length version of a song. As soon as it is adjusted, even if the adjustments are only minor, then we talk about a remix. It’s basically the question whether you just cut the full length version or whether you need to go back to the multi tracks. 

1 hour ago, ShantiAshtangi said:

That is no censorship, it simply isn’t. Because the book, film, piece of music is available in an unedited form both in the UK and the US. Maybe not on the radio but on CD. Maybe not on TV but on DVD. There is no way you can compare that to non-democratic countries where certain opinions or pieces of culture are completely forbidden and people are punished if they read or watch certain things. 

It isn't in your head. For the rest of the world it is. When you have regulations to protect moral, religious or social construction they still a way of censoring the original content to what these establishment want. I'm not comparing, you are. You think that bringing in a radical system or oppressed and compare it to a country that's the land of the free, but it's isn't, make your point more valid. Is it there censoring in eastern culture? In communist countries? In radical religious lands? Yes. But the US, UK had and still having regulations based on prudish family protection laws and religious consciousness that forbid the use of certain words and themes in pieces of art, music and other creative forms. And that is censoring that piece in a platform. Whatever you find it without the blip in any other platform.

1 hour ago, EgoRod said:

Nipples, genitals, nudity, swearing, political views, blasphemy is all erased and blocked from social platforms, media, radio, TV. In western countries, run by American companies. To protect a family constructed society that's conservative and dated. You don't have half of that control in most part of Europe. So stop bringing Iran or Korea, that's like saying there's no families living in poverty in the UK because in India families of 10 live in a house without support and it's not the same.

There are lots of examples of music that has been banned, censored and forbidden in western culture:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/feb/14/the-greatest-banned-songs-of-all-time-ranked

https://www.radiox.co.uk/features/x-lists/10-famous-songs-that-were-censored-or-banned/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_banned_by_the_BBC

https://ncac.org/news/blog/turn-that-down-40-banned-and-censored-songs

2 hours ago, ShantiAshtangi said:

No, an edited version is just a shorter, cut version of the full length version of a song. As soon as it is adjusted, even if the adjustments are only minor, then we talk about a remix.

Usually when the version is just tweaked (for example, adding instrumentations or vocals available on the original multitracks) it's what we called "New Mix" (and many times labeled as "Single Mix" or "Edit"). Looks like a "Remix" for the new elements but it's not a proper "Remix" because those elements were available on the original multitracks. 

Many times the "new elements" in an edit are available on the original multitrack but not used (or barely audible) in the album version. But that is not a "Remix", it's just a "New Mix".

1 hour ago, Material Girl said:

Name it like you want, for me it's an edited version not an album one.

:Madonna007:

This short version is part of a compilation which is not mentioned on the single.

The only reason this song was released as a single was because it was on that compilation.

That's why the version's on the single are labelled as: Single Version + Long Version.

My favourite edit has got to be the edit of Borderline (aka video version). Although it is edited for length compared to the album version, there is also a big difference in it's instrumentation. I prefer it more than any other version. I don't care for the added bells that the extended dance mix or TIC version contain. Therefore, if you want to be technical, it really should be called the single mix/version.