Edit to Edit

EgoRod

6 hours ago, brank000 said:

The only reason this song was released as a single was because it was on that compilation.

That's why the version's on the single are labelled as: Single Version + Long Version.

I thought that the reason it was released on that album and not on the League OST, was because Warner is behind Barcelona Gold and at the time it was a better way to promote it than the soundtrack.

But to fit all of the songs for Barcelona they edited it.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, EgoRod said:

I thought that the reason it was released on that album and not on the League OST, was because Warner is behind Barcelona Gold and at the time it was a better way to promote it than the soundtrack.

That's probably why it was on that album and not the soundtrack, but it wouldn't have been released as a single if it wasn't released on an album.

9 hours ago, EgoRod said:

But to fit all of the songs for Barcelona they edited it.

That's the first time I've heard that it was edited for the compilation.

When the song came out and was played on the radio and eventually on TV they said "from the album Barcelona Gold", with little or no mention of a League of Their Own (in Canada anyway)

Also, the single wouldn't specify "single version"  if it was any different from the  album version that had been available physically for weeks before the physical single was released.

Anyhow, those are my thoughts.  

2 hours ago, brank000 said:

That's probably why it was on that album and not the soundtrack, but it wouldn't have been released as a single if it wasn't released on an album.

That's the first time I've heard that it was edited for the compilation.

When the song came out and was played on the radio and eventually on TV they said "from the album Barcelona Gold", with little or no mention of a League of Their Own (in Canada anyway)

Also, the single wouldn't specify "single version"  if it was any different from the  album version that had been available physically for weeks before the physical single was released.

Anyhow, those are my thoughts.  

It’s funny what you say because it shows that the promotion of this song seems to be really different depending on the country where it appeared.

In France THIS USED TO BE MY PLAYGROUND appeared without anyone hearing about this Barcelona Gold compilation. We actually knew it was part of a movie that was going to be released later on our screens, but that’s it.

The song BARCELONA by Freddy Mercury & Montserrat Cabalé was re-release in Europe because it was the anthem that was used at the Olympic Games that were held in Barcelona that year...

The album in which he appeared in 1988 was even reissued and it is this album that the single highlighted, not the Barcelona Gold compilation.

3 hours ago, brank000 said:

In Spain was the same. The radios promoted the song as part of "Barcelona Gold", and with the Olympic Games here, the promotion was huge. Long time later, on TV, the video-clip was promoted as the main song of "A League of Their Own". 

15 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

In Spain was the same. The radios promoted the song as part of "Barcelona Gold", and with the Olympic Games here, the promotion was huge. Long time later, on TV, the video-clip was promoted as the main song of "A League of Their Own". 

That's not what I remember. The single came out in June just before the Summer Olympics. And the big hit linked to it was Monserrat and Freddy's Barcelona. Barcelona Gold came out in July-August and included both songs, but This Used to be.. I remember it was clearly a single alone promoting the movie that was in cinemas in July too.

It was really common for random compilations bundling together lots of hits with whatever excuse or theme. And Barcelona Gold was that. It was a greatest hits at the time put together with random hits

12 minutes ago, EgoRod said:

That's not what I remember. The single came out in June just before the Summer Olympics. And the big hit linked to it was Monserrat and Freddy's Barcelona. Barcelona Gold came out in July-August and included both songs, but This Used to be.. I remember it was clearly a single alone promoting the movie that was in cinemas in July too.

It was really common for random compilations bundling together lots of hits with whatever excuse or theme. And Barcelona Gold was that. It was a greatest hits at the time put together with random hits

I have a clear memory. I was in Melilla that summer. The radio stations started to play song every hour-non stop (al least in the biggest Melilla Radio Station) and they only promoted the song talking about "Barcelona Gold". And I ran to the record store to buy the CD (and I still have my copy near mint). Until the video-clip I didn't know it was part of the OST of "A league of their own". 

Of course Freddy's Barcelona was promoted, but more in adult radio stations. 

1 minute ago, Aiwa08 said:

I have a clear memory. I was in Melilla that summer. The radio stations started to play song every hour-not stop (al least in the biggest Melilla Radio Station) and they only promoted the song talking about "Barcelona Gold". And I ran to the record store to buy the CD (and I still have my copy near mint). Until the video-clip I didn't know it was part of the OST of "A league of their own". 

"(sic)This Used to Be My Playground" was officially released as a standalone single to promote the film, on June 16, 1992, by Warner Bros. Records

"The accompanying music video, directed by Alek Keshishian, was filmed in June 1992 at Raleigh Studios in Hollywood, California, and Malibu Beach. It premiered on MTV on June 30, 1992, a day before the release of A League of Their Own."

The Olympics started in July and Barcelona Gold was released in July 15th.

The video have images from the movie in it. It as all at the same time and I guess that was the plan in order to promote it. Like 'I'll remember" it was a standalone single for the movie With Honors.

Also the version used in Something to Remember is the single version not the Barcelona Gold

@EgoRod I know it. I just talking about my experience with that song. And I knowed the song promoted as part of "Barcelona Gold". And later, with the videoclip, as part of "A league of my own". Local radios doesn't work like national radios. And in 1992 internet was something prehistoric to find info. My only info when the song was premiered was a local radio station in Africa (Melilla).

Well I have a question.

Does anyone know since when this technique of shortening a title for a radio broadcast goes back ?
I also collect records of Serge Gainsbourg and I don't find so many different versions except from the 80’s.
I know that some singles in the 70s appeared in truncated versions but what label first had this idea of cutting a song to make it fit into a mold? Unless it’s a radio request? :Madonna032:

23 hours ago, Material Girl said:

Well I have a question.

Does anyone know since when this technique of shortening a title for a radio broadcast goes back ?
I also collect records of Serge Gainsbourg and I don't find so many different versions except from the 80’s.
I know that some singles in the 70s appeared in truncated versions but what label first had this idea of cutting a song to make it fit into a mold? Unless it’s a radio request? :Madonna032:

In my experience, even in the 70s, many singles were album edits (and many times the album versions were extended singles). I think that it was a mutual pact between labels and radio stations. If the songs were shorter, more different songs were aired in a limited period of time (and more songs were promoted for the labels).

7'' vinyls doesn't have problems with longer songs, but to keep the proper sound quality they need to reduce the volume, and that was bad for the radio stations (nowadays that it's not a problem because they normalize the volume with any digital filter).

Anyway, I remember (I can be wrong) in the 70s, and even the 80s, labels selling more singles than full albums. This changed in the 80s, and the 7'' started to decline in sales. People wanted to buy full albums. It was a nightmare for me to find 7'' in my town after 1988, only 12'' (my town is really small).