Did she use sex to sell?

This (in my opinion very annoying) Madonna fan since the 80s/90s or idk posted this on Twitter saying that Madonna had success only cause she was 'selling' sex during her *entire career*. He even impled that Open Your Heart video was her 'selling sex' and boosting the True Blue sales. The least successful single for True Blue boosted the album sales? Ok. :Madonna006: Was she selling sex in Live to Tell too that was a huge hit? :Madonna006:

Do you agree with him? 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sex is 'used to sell' everything. Just check advertising.

What Madonna did (does) is using female empowerment that, the day of today when is out of certain norms, is perceived with a  crooked vision.

Women had been always placed under submissive, asexual, prudish figures. So if Madonna was proud of her body she was using sex to sell. When she talk about sexuality, she was using sex to sell. And so on.

This is such a tired trope to dismiss her actual musical talents. It really speaks volumes of our sexist society when "she's good at selling sex" and "good business woman" are the only back-handed compliments that some people (generally grown men) are willing to give her.

Yes, the woman is a sex symbol and clearly loves the attention but I don't think Madonna has ever been the stereotypical bimbo who caters to the male gaze and has nothing of importance to say. 

Her sexuality has often been agressive, confrontational and political. She was actually very brave for challenging gender norms and pushing the boundaries in our hypocritical society, especially during the puritanical 80s and 90s.

You simply don't become one of the best-selling, highest-grossing and most-acclaimed musicians of all time because of your looks. In that case, Samantha Fox would be the one inducted in the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame.

Like, is it really that hard to believe that Madonna sold 350 million records because people *gasp* actually like her music?. Please excuse the rant but this media narrative is unfair and frankly disrespectful.

Sex? What you know about sex?

I think she has utilized sexuality brilliantly throughout her career and paved the way for others to do the same without facing the same kind of "historical judgement" she still faces as she continues to push the envelope even today. Sure sometimes its a bit much, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

You’re misquoting. He did not say she ONLY had success because she has used sex throughout her career. But to deny she has used Sex, (and the taboo around issues regarding sex and gender norms), as a tool to gain people’s attention and then hit them with a message is plain wrong. She’s a genius at it. Madonna made sex front and centre because her sex was seemingly out front of centre of hers and every woman’s life. So she turned it on the patriarchy and used it against them. 
Like A Virgin 

Papa Don’t Preach

Open Your Heart

even Live To Tell ( supposedly about sexual abuse)

Like A Prayer

Express Yourself

Justify My Love

Hanky Panky

Erotica 

Human Nature

It was less obvious in the years following her becoming a mother but it’s been back in the table again for a while. Because having sex when you are old or a mother is seemingly taboo too so she’s just continuing her work. 

4 hours ago, Régine Filange said:

This (in my opinion very annoying) Madonna fan since the 80s/90s or idk posted this on Twitter saying that Madonna had success only cause she was 'selling' sex during her *entire career*. He even impled that Open Your Heart video was her 'selling sex' and boosting the True Blue sales. The least successful single for True Blue boosted the album sales? Ok. :Madonna006: Was she selling sex in Live to Tell too that was a huge hit? :Madonna006:

Do you agree with him? 

Are you kidding me?! Madonna totally used sex to market herself starting with the Lucky Star video.

She did it very wisely and with many relevant messages behind it, but still did it. And there’s nothing wrong with that 

4 hours ago, Karma said:

This is such a tired trope to dismiss her actual musical talents. It really speaks volumes of our sexist society when "she's good at selling sex" and "good business woman" are the only back-handed compliments that some people (generally grown men) are willing to give her.

Yes, the woman is a sex symbol and clearly loves the attention but I don't think Madonna has ever been the stereotypical bimbo who caters to the male gaze and has nothing of importance to say. 

Her sexuality has often been agressive, confrontational and political. She was actually very brave for challenging gender norms and pushing the boundaries in our hypocritical society, especially during the puritanical 80s and 90s.

You simply don't become one of the best-selling, highest-grossing and most-acclaimed musicians of all time because of your looks. In that case, Samantha Fox would be the one inducted in the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame.

Like, is it really that hard to believe that Madonna sold 350 million records because people *gasp* actually like her music?. Please excuse the rant but this media narrative is unfair and frankly disrespectful.

I totally agree

5 hours ago, EgoRod said:

Sex is 'used to sell' everything. Just check advertising.

What Madonna did (does) is using female empowerment that, the day of today when is out of certain norms, is perceived with a  crooked vision.

Women had been always placed under submissive, asexual, prudish figures. So if Madonna was proud of her body she was using sex to sell. When she talk about sexuality, she was using sex to sell. And so on.

Yeah, she says as much in her "Sex" book.

7 hours ago, Karma said:

Thank you, people here who really know her career and still think she needed 'sex' in True Blue, Evita, Ray of Light, Music, American Life etc. are really confusing me. :dihtltt: Sex doesn't even sell, good music does. Sex could give you only some attention for few days. Imagine saying Madonna sold 350 million records cause she used sex, that's like saying you bought her music cause you were obsessed with her image and not cause you liked her music. If her own fans think like that about her, then i'm not shocked the general public calls her untalented and a sl*t...

5 hours ago, steady75 said:

You’re misquoting. He did not say she ONLY had success because she has used sex throughout her career. But to deny she has used Sex, (and the taboo around issues regarding sex and gender norms), as a tool to gain people’s attention and then hit them with a message is plain wrong. She’s a genius at it. Madonna made sex front and centre because her sex was seemingly out front of centre of hers and every woman’s life. So she turned it on the patriarchy and used it against them. 

No i didn't misquote anything. He literally wrote "Madonna has used sex to sell for her entire career" :rip: I can name you tons of hits that Madonna had success without being sexual. From Who's That Girl, Holiday, Live To Tell to Don't Tell Me, Frozen, even Die Another Day. 

No one said she wasn't sexual during her career, she wasn't using sex to sell in her entire career tho, there are plenty of examples.

12 hours ago, Régine Filange said:

No i didn't misquote anything. He literally wrote "Madonna has used sex to sell for her entire career" :rip:

Well you are clearly putting your own twist on what he wrote, saying that Madonna has used sex to sell for her entire career... does not mean that it is the only thing she has done...

21 hours ago, Régine Filange said:

Do you agree with him? 

"And in Other News......Bears were seen with toilet paper in paw near a wooded area recently.
The Pope was asked about his religious views......."

:thinker:

She is a sexual being. She oozed sexiness. It was always said that everyone and anyone reacted to her sexual aura even before she was famous. So it’s part of her, the artist, her art, the entire package. Allure, fascination and entertainment all can have sexual undertones; with Madonna, those were quite predominant. I see nothing wrong with it, it’s authentic, it’s who she is and has been. She has been about sexual liberation (too).  So the argument “it’s only through sex that she became famous” is like criticizing someone for having a voice of a certain quality or being left-handed. Ridiculous.

19 hours ago, thegoldencalf said:

Are you kidding me?! Madonna totally used sex to market herself starting with the Lucky Star video.

She did it very wisely and with many relevant messages behind it, but still did it. And there’s nothing wrong with that 

Exactly. I’ve this Twitter discourse over the past few days. For some strange reason fans want to re-write Madonna’s story and her narrative, and remove anything about her using sex to market herself. It’s just laughable! And they even said Madonna being referred to as “the greatest marketing genius” is an “insult.” ?

What the hell has happened to this fandom?!?

22 hours ago, Karma said:

These arnt back handed compliments and it’s not being used to dismiss her.