If Madonna quit today!

Sultrysully

If she quit today then, how about me who started being a fan last 2018???

If she quit today, better release all her catalogues in remastered with bonus tracks and Linear PCM SACD of all her albums, plus all her concert tours in Blu Ray. Make a boxset compiling all her singles, and ughhh please feed us with her rarities.

Edited by Robertson II
Spelling (see edit history)

On 7/21/2021 at 3:07 PM, wtg1987 said:

shes a shell of the artist i used to love and admire - i really think its time to hang up her cape. that boom boom performance pretty much scuppered any respect i had for her :(((

i think Madame X dvd will be the last project i will take any interest in

Why wait? Do us all a favor and jump off now because nobody wants to hear about what you won’t approve of upon viewing the Madame X tour. If you are so dissatisfied by Madonna’s artistry that you have no respect for her, just accept it and move on. This isn’t group therapy. 

To be honest, she should have quit after the MDNA era. The Rebel Heart era I got the vinyl/CD from a friend, but never got to listen to them because I listened to the tracks online and downloaded the videos just to keep them. The X era I couldn't care less. I tried to watch her participation on the Graham Norton Show, but after a few minutes I felt so embarassed by her clothes and behaviour. She's definitely not as spontaneous as she once was. Madonna today is just another random person posting boring things on Instagram. 

I adore everything Madonna released so far, old and new, by different degrees of course, but still can’t consider anything she made a let down. Even my least favorite stuff have some redeeming qualities about them.

That said, she’s at a point in her career where she could literally bring the second coming and people would still brush it off as “old woman doing youngsters things” or “not as good as the oldies” or “more of the same thing and not unique enough” and I think this is the price of the incredible career she’s had so far. She did everything, tried every style, went to every extreme corner and reinvented herself in various cultural, generational and musical styles. So once you’ve done everything and you’ve pretty much established your appeal on reinvention, shock value and being the leading early adopter and trend setter, at some point there won’t be much new to try, and if there is, the sexism and ageism is gonna stand in its way, not to mention Madonna’s own apparent lack of interest in trying as hard as she used to and being the perfectionist she once was.

So if Madonna quite, and even if she quit after MDNA, I’d be very sad because I won’t have more Madonna as she’s the only artist that I truly anticipate her albums and never disappointed me, but at the same time I’d be happy with what she’s given us and I’ll be very excited (and hopefully) for all the legacy/anniversary stuff they’d be reissuing and all the stuff I can collect from her career.

The real question is does Madonna have an end date in mind? With the biopic coming and the contract expiring, is she done with music? We did hear that she’s building her own studio at her new home, which is quite a promising indicator that new music is coming in some shape or form, but what would her final era be like? Is she planning some grand exit, a farewell album and tour or is she gonna sing till the end? I wish her a long, happy and healthy life above all else, and I can’t decide if I wanna see Madonna retire with a grand exit and farewell tour or if I want her to continue making music as long as she can and to further change her image and style with age.

What I know for sure that I don’t want to see, is for her quality and presence to decline until she’s practically no longer popular or cared about by anyone. That’s something I’ll never accept to happen to her. She always made people outraged because of how she broke all restrictive boundaries and dogma and that’s amazing, but what I don’t want to see is for her to make people laugh at her or belittle her, because she’s far far far greater than any other artist and she deserves way better.

I'd be disappointed because I haven't loved anything really since Confessions. I've liked a couple of songs off each album since but on the whole I don't really listen to anything post Confessions. I'll forever be a 1982-2006 Stan and incredibly grateful for everything she put out but disappointed she didn't put out another era/album that I loved. Though I've always supported everything she did (buy multiple formats of each album, go to the concerts) and will continue to do so.

On 7/28/2021 at 2:23 AM, michel.kettermann said:

To be honest, she should have quit after the MDNA era. The Rebel Heart era I got the vinyl/CD from a friend, but never got to listen to them because I listened to the tracks online and downloaded the videos just to keep them. The X era I couldn't care less. I tried to watch her participation on the Graham Norton Show, but after a few minutes I felt so embarassed by her clothes and behaviour. She's definitely not as spontaneous as she once was. Madonna today is just another random person posting boring things on Instagram. 

Yet here you fucking are...

She made it very clear during the Rebel Heart era that if Picasso and Jager and plenty of others can continue on working until their 70s+, so can she. It's practically been her manifesto this last decade...she's "never gonna stop". Personally, I believe that as long as she is in good health, and she's inspired (as she has said time and time again), she will continue to work and create. It may not always be in the traditional sense we are use to with big eras and big tours, but I think of all things, music is the one thing she can (and will) continue to do. I think the Madame X era was kind of a possible precursor to the next stage of her artistry (and if so, I'm very much looking forward to it). Perhaps not so mainstream anymore, but true to what she really wants to say and what inspires her. If that means work geared to a more specific part of the fanbase, and smaller venues for the most dedicated, so be it. Reminds of when Prince got to that point where he just said, 'fuck it...I'm gonna just do me. And those that get it will get it'. That said, I think she definitely has at least 1 (if not 2) big 'moments', tours, etc. left to showcase her legacy for the GP - if she wants to. I think the biopic is the start of that. I think the MX era just threw some folks off for a while...

That said, even if she changed her mind, her legacy is intact. No individual or entity (or bratty fanbase of rivals) can take that away from her. And quite frankly, she's worked her ass off her whole life and taken the artform and the industry to the highest places it can ever go. Everything now, since, and into the future is in the orbit of the universe she created. She's earned the rest if she wants it.

That being said, I can't lie that I'd be heartbroken. She's truly the very LAST of the greats that I still look forward to (God rest Mike and Prince and Bowie...). But I don't think she's going anywhere. At least not for another decade or so. She's made it clear that as long as she's still got something to say, she's not going to "surrender"...

On the one hand, I totally want her to keep on going until she dies. The patriarchy needs someone fighting it properly, especially since she's the target of so much ageist bullshit.

On the other hand, I'm always in opposition of the capitalist principle to just keep going, even if you don't feel like it, mentally or physically. It's alright being exhausted creatively, not having to say anything new, instead of reiterating things that you've said already. I mean, Madonna's Instagram is an exercise in saying things just to say them. She's rarely the eloquent, wise woman I admired for years. The recent DaBaby post felt like a rare glimpse into that. Not saying she shouldn't share her love for her children or the joys of her life, just being more careful with the platform she has, the way she used to be.

The opening post feels like I used to be, fandom-wise, but also mashed up with lyrics of Veni Vidi Vici. See how many weird Madonna puns can we put in a single text! I've grown to understand she's one of the greats, but hardly the greatest pop artist of all time. I think it's even silly claiming such a thing exists - it's more of a Pantheon, where everyone brings their own thing - Elvis, Prince, The Beatles, Michael Jackson... Heck, Bowie set the stage for her with his numerous reinventions, but being a female idol was definitely an important space to own and occupy, and she did it perfectly. We also tend to deify her past as something that was a flawless stretch, even when it was bumpy, but I feel like it was all an exercise in smart presentation, the way Beyonce does it with her overly edited photos, perfected vocals, perfected everything. Madonna was personally always a weird uncool dork who just sold herself amazingly well, and made the most of her talents.