Why did Madonna leave Warner in the 1st Place ??

Garry Howieson

On 7/31/2021 at 3:44 AM, me1981 said:

Yeah I do have to agree with this. I also think Guy O, unlike Freddy, caves into her more. I think Freddy would stand up to her and knew how to convince her that certain things were best for her, while stroking her ego. I think Guy and M are too close as friends and it is harder to be tough with a friend. 

Jeez aren't we over this "Guy O made her do it" trope? They're friends AND business partners, she makes all the decisions. He is too busy managing his own company and other artists to be focused on M's every move.

Yeah I do have to agree with this. I also think Guy O, unlike Freddy, caves into her more. I think Freddy would stand up to her and knew how to convince her that certain things were best for her, while stroking her ego. I think Guy and M are too close as friends and it is harder to be tough with a friend. 

Jeez aren't we over this "Guy O made her do it" trope? They're friends AND business partners, she makes all the decisions. He is too busy managing his own company and other artists to be focused on M's every move.

I don't think her departure from Warner is only about single choices or Seymour Stein. M and WB had a long relationship and like all long lasting stories, life made it fall it apart. It's useless to point one specific event as a turning point. They were partners for 30 years or something: they made her a star, she made them very rich. Everyone was happy up to a certain point.

Things started to turn sour after Maverick didn't deliver as much as expected, and the legal disputes, so many things must have happened in closed offices, lawyer consultations and business meetings, all very boring considerations... Power, big bucks and investment points of view. Nothing very glamourous.

LiveNation came with something new: 360° promotion was the big thing back then and artists thought they could get rid of record companies.

But then the Spotify era began for real and the covid crisis hit so the game has completely changed.

Wasnt there a period in time when artists said most of the staff at Warners changed and it was awful? Then the Maverick thing and Madge actually ran off with a lot of money when the stocks were high? :lol: Course Guy getting 360 deals for her & U2 had a lot to do with it. Money was turning into touring and they had bigger production budgets to sell higher priced tix. 

1 hour ago, bedtimestory said:

Madame X album was the end for her...  Unlistenable, unrelatable autotune songs with grillz and eye patch. She lost all her coolness and common sense due to getting so much face fillers.

And how is your post related to the discussion about her leaving Warner? Or you just wanted to be troll and spread same hate towards Madame X even in this thread?! 

At the time it was all about touring and navigating a rapidly changing industry. It was a great deal but not all things turned out. Artists have to invest in themselves too,  l don't think Madonna compensated for the lack of Warners experience and reach in taking care of the brand and fans in the shift, the fanclub ICON website is all you need to see that.

10 hours ago, playpause said:

I never said he made her do anything. Guy is in her life and a big part of her career. If we are discussing her career choices he will come up. He is her manager. Just like Freddy pushed M in certain directions it is reasonable to assume Guy did too. M isn't doing all this alone. 

On 7/30/2021 at 5:53 PM, madgefan said:

Well some might blame ageism, sexism and blah blah... but Madonna's made some really bad decisions in relation to the artistic promo for her albums and singles choices, especially during her Universal Music years. Give Me All Your Luvin' after 4 friggin' years? Devilish horns and a matador outfit no one cared about in the Living for Love video? Teaming up with a reggaeton singer just to see if shit stuck on the wall and it didn't work! A total nightmare. Who's the one to blame for the twilight of her career. Only herself. All those decisions don't sound as if she really asked for others' opinions. She only listens to herself, and that's why she's flopped since 2012.

We all know Warner would have cared. Even Celebration reached several Top 10s around the world. After that it all seemed like she just disappeared from the radar. And here we are, spending money on 10 versions of the same album and DVDs, buying concert tickets that get more expensive the older she gets, and discussing a soon-to-be has been.

LOL I've been harsh.

Sigh.

Couldn’t agree more, but then again she’s the “Material Girl”. She was offered +$100m upfront contract with god knows how much more, so naturally she’s gonna go for that over trying harder and harder each era to make a fraction of that number.

She basically sacrificed artistic integrity for a huge sum of money, which isn’t exactly good or bad, since at the end of the day, what she does is a job, but it’s definitely not good for us, the fans and it’s definitely BS when she keeps talking about how she’d “never compromise her artist integrity” by altering a show instead of cancelling, only to end up cancelling AND cutting off a show’s opening along with 4 other songs and hopping late on whatever music trend there is after it ceases to be cool. ?

I still adore her though. She’d kick me ass if she reads this but I adore her ?

8 hours ago, bedtimestory said:

I love her so much that I even went to MX tour, even if i didint liked the album, thats a real fan!

How is that answering my question? 

I was asking how is your post related to the discussion about her leaving Warner? Again, you are just trolling... 

3 hours ago, bedtimestory said:

well she left cause she got a deal at live nation where MX came from...

So? She left Warner 12 year before Madame X was released, not anyhow connected, your post here are totally irrelevant, you are just stupidly trolling about how much you hate Madame X, take that to another thread 

On 8/1/2021 at 9:43 AM, playpause said:

Madonna has previously said it was Guys idea to do the super bowl and he pushed her into doing it as she initially didn’t want to

On 8/1/2021 at 11:24 AM, bedtimestory said:

Madame X album was the end for her...  Unlistenable, unrelatable autotune songs with grillz and eye patch. She lost all her coolness and common sense due to getting so much face fillers.

jYtJnvX.gif

Imagine thinking her best and most creative album since Confessions is her worst. Also this has no connection to the topic given she left Warner 12 years before Madame X. Madame X was literally the last album of her Interscope contract. Take this trash opinion somewhere else!:Madonna003:

her deal came to an end so she left.

madonna's deals have never been broken down on what they are but bits and pieces have leaked out over the years.

essentially, she got a good deal at the start of her career and more control than most acts would have had, as she blagged her deal. stein liked her and she apparently pestered him. warner clearly did not expect anything big from here and i doubt anyone did at first.

by the 90s and 00s warner and madonna were still promoting her like they had in the 80s. she rarely performed on every tv show and promoted on tv beyond the first single of an album. 

warner couldn't release anything without her agreeing and she couldn't release anything without them agreeing

they literally played games with each other and stubborness meant we have so few special editions with extra bonus tracks, compilations, bonus tracks, remasters etc etc.

by the time celebration happened the industry was dead so she made a touring deal. made sense at the time i suppose