Why did Madonna leave Warner in the 1st Place ??

Garry Howieson

7 hours ago, deathproof said:

Madonna has previously said it was Guys idea to do the super bowl and he pushed her into doing it as she initially didn’t want to

Does anyone remember the gathering to celebrate MDNA going to #1. She looked lke she wanted to kill him. She tried throwing the cake in his face but looked like she wanted to smash it in his face instead. Maybe I am remembering it wrong as I haven't seen it since it first was released.

On 8/2/2021 at 12:24 AM, bedtimestory said:

Madame X album was the end for her...  Unlistenable, unrelatable autotune songs with grillz and eye patch. She lost all her coolness and common sense due to getting so much face fillers.

Most of us loved it, so... 

Also, yes, everyone knows the amount of fillers on your face is inversely proportional to your common sense and coolness. 

17 hours ago, deathproof said:

Madonna has previously said it was Guys idea to do the super bowl and he pushed her into doing it as she initially didn’t want to

Sure, the Super Bowl as much as the LN deal are strategic, even historic career moves. She owned the halftime show in every way, cause she knows how to make things about herself ?

I never said she managed her career by herself but  you can bet she calls the shots in the end.

2 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

Thinking in the singles choice and the promotion, yes, It was her greatest mistake. I will never understand why after the Warner Era, her best songs weren't released as singles (and, of course, without video-clips).

She was Warner’s Number One. She goes over to interscope where she’s Madonna but they’re clueless and have better performing  artists. Warner knew how to market her. 

On 8/2/2021 at 12:02 AM, bedtimestory said:

I ADORE her from 1982-2016 eras, she was everything and more! Nowadays she changed drastically, unfortunately not in a good way, more in a cringy way. hopefully shell wake up and get better.

Who cares about what you like ? This thread is not about you nor it is about Madame X. Don't you have friends or social media to share with ? Hopefully you'll wake up and get better with this internet thing. 

Totally think this was the beginning of the end of Madonna as a successful artist. People tend to not mention that 4 Minutes was HUGE at the time, even if not near as remembered as Hung Up…that Warner was able to do that for a 49 year old pop star at the time was near unheard of.

Hard Candy certainly was the crack in the facade from a marketing standpoint, as has been noted in other threads. And I could believe if Warner was completely checked out on helping craft an image by that point and let her do her own thing, resulting in one of her first truly messy eras image-wise.

However, MDNA really was truly a marketing disaster. Firstly, GMAYL was probably the worst choice possible for an album named after a club drug. Where were the COOL dance songs that should have been here with Benassi, Diplo, Deadmau5, etc? Why wasn’t I’m Addicted the first single (this would have smashed if given the same promo as GMAYL and performed on the Super Bowl)? Why were there ZERO performances from the album? Why did she focus all of her interviews on W / E instead of the album? The list goes on and on.

I truly believe that most ideas have come from Madonna throughout her career, but that someone has been there helping her shape the final concept, which Warner clearly did for most of her time there. She’s had a sounding board and someone to help her appeal to the general audience because, let’s be real, her ego gets in the way of public appeal a lot of the time. She’s completely missing that person — or team — nowadays. That’s the real issue. Not just a record label.

1 minute ago, eXtremeOccident said:

Totally think this was the beginning of the end of Madonna as a successful artist. People tend to not mention that 4 Minutes was HUGE at the time, even if not near as remembered as Hung Up…that Warner was able to do that for a 49 year old pop star at the time was near unheard of.

Hard Candy certainly was the crack in the facade from a marketing standpoint, as has been noted in other threads. And I could believe if Warner was completely checked out on helping craft an image by that point and let her do her own thing, resulting in one of her first truly messy eras image-wise.

However, MDNA really was truly a marketing disaster. Firstly, GMAYL was probably the worst choice possible for an album named after a club drug. Where were the COOL dance songs that should have been here with Benassi, Diplo, Deadmau5, etc? Why wasn’t I’m Addicted the first single (this would have smashed if given the same promo as GMAYL and performed on the Super Bowl)? Why were there ZERO performances from the album? Why did she focus all of her interviews on W / E instead of the album? The list goes on and on.

I truly believe that most ideas have come from Madonna throughout her career, but that someone has been there helping her shape the final concept, which Warner clearly did for most of her time there. She’s had a sounding board and someone to help her appeal to the general audience because, let’s be real, her ego gets in the way of public appeal a lot of the time. She’s completely missing that person — or team — nowadays. That’s the real issue. Not just a record label.

And also, might I note — The M-D-N-A chant at the end of I’m Addicted is how Madonna could be self-referential without being tacky…instead, we’re ending up with singles chanting her name and being about her, which cheapens her brand honestly.

45 minutes ago, eXtremeOccident said:

However, MDNA really was truly a marketing disaster. Firstly, GMAYL was probably the worst choice possible for an album named after a club drug. 

Before MDNA was released, I read somewhere that MDNA means "Madonna's DNA" and that is the reason why many songs have references to older songs (It was her 30th anniversary). You can find many titles or phrases from older songs.  For example, "Some Girls" has references to "Like A Virgin" "Express Yourself" and "you'll see". Or "Love Spend" references "Till Death Do Us Part". Even "Superstar" references "Lucky Star" and "Into The groove". The album is full of references to her older songs.

10 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

Before MDNA was released, I read somewhere that MDNA means "Madonna's DNA" and that is the reason why many songs have references to older songs (It was her 30th anniversary). You can find many titles or phrases from older songs.  For example, "Some Girls" has references to "Like A Virgin" "Express Yourself" and "you'll see". Or "Love Spend" references "Till Death Do Us Part". Even "Superstar" references "Lucky Star" and "Into The groove". The album is full of references to her older songs.

I read that too and always thought it was a very cool idea. They could have sold the album as her going back to her dance and pop roots, reclaiming her throne, whatever. I'm sure Warner would have found a great angle to do that, even with "Celebration" promotion they were very good (not that much with the proper product, as we know).

21 minutes ago, Prayer said:

I read that too and always thought it was a very cool idea. They could have sold the album as her going back to her dance and pop roots, reclaiming her throne, whatever. I'm sure Warner would have found a great angle to do that, even with "Celebration" promotion they were very good (not that much with the proper product, as we know).

For me "Madonna's DNA" (MDNA) it's like a party album celebrating her 30th anniversary, with funny references to her old catalogue. And for me it's like this because they wrote that before the release. But suddenly that idea disappeared from press, news, Madonna fan pages... and we never talk about that again. Fans only talked about charts, Lady gaga vs Madonna fan fights, horrible single choices, no promotion, WE film... At that moment I realized how much I miss Warner.

2 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

For me "Madonna's DNA" (MDNA) it's like a party album celebrating her 30th anniversary, with funny references to her old catalogue. And for me it's like this because they wrote that before the release. But suddenly that idea disappeared from press, news, Madonna fan pages... and we never talk about that again. Fans only talked about charts, Lady gaga vs Madonna fan fights, horrible single choices, no promotion, WE film... At that moment I realized how much I miss Warner.

Promotion was truly awful, but again, she was on her own basically. Interscope never cared about her.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2021 at 2:41 AM, eXtremeOccident said:

i think the fanbase has to take some responsibility for mdna

the loud fanbase said they hated madonna doing rnb. so she listened and made a pop dance, eurocentric edm confessions type album. it had all the dance pop production values and producers and she threw in william orbit to appease.

his songs were great but old fashioned and the rest was outright crap.

mdna is a post ray of light madonna album done exactly the way the fans demanded and expected. they hated rnb madonna so much they got what they wanted, bland

1 hour ago, mikeyaj said:

mdna is a post ray of light madonna album done exactly the way the fans demanded and expected. they hated rnb madonna so much they got what they wanted, bland

I don't remember expecting her to go buy several rejected demos and leftovers in 2011; especially after that loooong gap with no new music.

21 minutes ago, madgefan said:

I don't remember expecting her to go buy several rejected demos and leftovers in 2011; especially after that loooong gap with no new music.

true.

i was over exaggerating. but mdna was all edm, not preachy (less so than confessions) and was that paint by numbers confessions many wanted. remember ray of light were orbit demos he wasn't using at that point. 

mdna was the anti hard candy, european, no rnb and souless edm at that. she clearly had a touring deal and phoned the album in. orbit even said he had more songs and didn't know the album was done as he still wanted to work on more stuff.

madonna is best when her fanbase are ignored. ignore the hardcore fans and she can make interesting stuff

26 minutes ago, madgefan said:

also remember many madonna fans geniuenly believe she has been cutting edge trend wise musically at times. she never has. she always whats already happening in dance music or mainstreamed already. she just madonna's it