Do you really think that Madonna hates her back catalogue?

Aiwa08

Weird thread. Of course she doesn’t. She’s currently working on a biopic covering her music career.

Also FYI Everybody was released in 1982. So that is why she’s not celebrating its anniversary.

As for getting her old video negatives I just don’t get the obsession with that. Most artists are not doing this, it’s too expensive and they don’t make that money back on YouTube plays unfortunately. If you want to blame anyone blame YouTube and streaming for paying artists terribly. In reality though these videos were made to be seen in the quality we already have them. Try stepping back from your tv if you want it to look better.

11 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

Weird why? Many fans have said that for years. And I've wanted a serious debate about that with real fans. 

Okay! Well my answer is no, I don’t she does. She prefers to focus on current projects though for sure. I do think at this point giving more attention to past projects would benefit the new ones. She’s really in legacy act territory these days but she doesn’t want to face that.

But hate is too strong of a word.

The thing with Madonna is that her purpose never was about becoming a qualified artist, she's not a virtuoso musician. Music for her, at least at the beginning, was only a vehicle to become famous. So I don't think she see things from the first 3 albums for example and think they're amazing, she's much more aware of her cultural impact, again, because that was her goal: to be famous, seen, loved, whatever.

I'm not saying she's not proud of anything, but I feel like she does not understand that without the music as her vehicle there's not much to care about... 

Of course Madonna does not hate her back catalog. As much as I want the public to know her entire catalog I like that Madonna does not rely on it. It shows guts and artistic authenticity not to fall back on her biggest hits and they truly do become for the fans. I think that appears to people that she does not value her previous work or her hits but I do not think that is true. 

If anyone follows the power of now it's Madonna. We do not live her life so our interests in her as an artist is her work so of course we want her attention just on that. 

Too many artists out there believe their own hype and in a way create the "greatness" of their work and nurture that belief. You go on a song you like from that artist and the comments are nothing but what a genius (usually reserved for males) they are. That is boring. In fact it's just one of the ways Madonna is not boring in that she always lives in the present. 

People seek out male artists back catalog but for women they do not delve very deep. They might (gasp) like what they hear. So I would say that it is the public who seem to hate Madonna's back catalog or more accurately pretend it doesn't exist. 

4 hours ago, professormouse said:

She's found that you don't have to write a hit song.
You can tweak someone else's creations and take the money.
Open Your Heart, the 12'' is kinda loooong.
When she could do wrong.
:thinker:

I agree about Open Your Heart. A Couple of parts that feel a bit repetitive. They could have tightned it a little, trim off a couple of minutes .

She has this weird relationship with her legacy. On one hand, she only looks forward to the point where she pretends an era doesn’t exist after the next one starts, and on the other hand, she keeps performing singles from Madonna till ROL + Hung Up and her looks since Hard Candy, as much as she tries to reinvent, often boil down to bustiers, fishnets and crucifixes.

So I have no idea how she feels about the last, but either way she doesn’t have to love it for the label to celebrate some anniversaries and releases digital and physical goodies from them. It’s not like she’s gonna do those by herself, and yet for some reason there’s none.

As I near my Ray of Light era in age... I can see why she isn't exactly enamored with the first few records. While I have a soft spot in my heart for those songs, that's because I was a kid when they came out and I sang them non stop. I have a feeling that when it is your own work, however... it's not the same for you. You get excited when other people get excited for them maybe, but singing Nursery Rhymes to 80's beats is not particularly exciting as an artist. 

I think she's also just disconnected from what her fans like. You saw how easy it was to get her to consider Rescue Me... An interviewer mentions it, it's in her head, and then it's in the show. She needs a fans perspective sometimes IMHO to plant some ideas because she honestly probably doesn't know how much we value most of everything. 

She honestly thinks we wanna hear MUSIC every single tour... like... really?

1 hour ago, professormouse said:

If you use that gift called reading it will make sense.

Your post not only includes improper english phrases but also has no clear coherent thought in-connection to the topic itself. 

If you learned how to actually provide to a thread with meaning to the topic, then I might be able to read it. 

On 8/5/2021 at 1:12 AM, diegolcl said:

The thing with Madonna is that her purpose never was about becoming a qualified artist, she's not a virtuoso musician. Music for her, at least at the beginning, was only a vehicle to become famous. So I don't think she see things from the first 3 albums for example and think they're amazing, she's much more aware of her cultural impact, again, because that was her goal: to be famous, seen, loved, whatever.

This is a very one dimensional view of her early years. I don’t think it was quite that way, certainly not in her own explanation over the years.

1) I don't think it's in the back of her head to swiftly put these kind of releases out
2) She doesn't own the masters to her Warner albums, nor is she signed to them (meaning there's no relationship between the 2 parties)
3) She doesn't have a team together thats dedicated to organize such a task. Not Guy or Sara are doing anything about it
4) More importantly, she prob wants a lot of $$$$$ to put these out instead of having to pay any kind of money to remaster/restore and release them

9 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

This is a very one dimensional view of her early years. I don’t think it was quite that way, certainly not in her own explanation over the years.

Well, sure. Nothing is ever just one thing or the other, but I think it is quite clear that her drive was not about creating the best music she could to get praise and/or to achieve critical acclaim. She wanted to be famous and you can see her talking about it in interviews from that time, that's why I think she "doesn't value" that work as much as we do.

Of course she found love for the craft later on, it is undeniable, but even so, I think we can all agree that she's far more proud of her cultural impact between 1989 to 1993 than for, say, Cherish or Rain. 

2 hours ago, diegolcl said:

Well, sure. Nothing is ever just one thing or the other, but I think it is quite clear that her drive was not about creating the best music she could to get praise and/or to achieve critical acclaim. She wanted to be famous and you can see her talking about it in interviews from that time, that's why I think she "doesn't value" that work as much as we do.

Of course she found love for the craft later on, it is undeniable, but even so, I think we can all agree that she's far more proud of her cultural impact between 1989 to 1993 than for, say, Cherish or Rain. 

I disagree, 100%

2 hours ago, deathproof said:

2) She doesn't own the masters to her Warner albums, nor is she signed to them (meaning there's no relationship between the 2 parties)

there must be some form of communication since she owns all publishing rights to the vast majority of her music and for everything they publish (that she had written and that has those rights) in one service or another, they have to get permission from her publishing company to do so

21 hours ago, RinoTheBouncer said:

She has this weird relationship with her legacy. On one hand, she only looks forward to the point where she pretends an era doesn’t exist after the next one starts, and on the other hand, she keeps performing singles from Madonna till ROL + Hung Up and her looks since Hard Candy, as much as she tries to reinvent, often boil down to bustiers, fishnets and crucifixes.

So I have no idea how she feels about the last, but either way she doesn’t have to love it for the label to celebrate some anniversaries and releases digital and physical goodies from them. It’s not like she’s gonna do those by herself, and yet for some reason there’s none.

I loooooooooooved your post in the ICON Forum about Madonna's recent strategy and management and their disrespect towards her legacy. Happy to see you here too. 

2 hours ago, deathproof said:

I disagree, 100%

Me too. There is an interview where she discusses being in Paris in 1979 and having the opportunity for a manufactured pop career with successful producers. She left that because she said she felt she needed to learn the craft and earn her way to being musical. She went back to poverty and living hand to mouth living in a synagogue free whilst learning drums.

she was also a regular of the arts scene and has been clear about artistic expression and artistic integrity as both a performance artist and musician. 

I think that game was certainly a goal, but creative artistic drive was also a significant motivation.

I don't think she does. I personally don't really see the point of her or the label milking nostalgia and re-releasing the same songs/albums that everyone here already own in various formats. I can't imagine that there's that much revenue to be made from that, other than petty cash from collectors, which only make up a small portion of the fanbase anyway.