Do you really think that Madonna hates her back catalogue?

Aiwa08

14 hours ago, diegolcl said:

Well, sure. Nothing is ever just one thing or the other, but I think it is quite clear that her drive was not about creating the best music she could to get praise and/or to achieve critical acclaim. She wanted to be famous and you can see her talking about it in interviews from that time, that's why I think she "doesn't value" that work as much as we do.

Of course she found love for the craft later on, it is undeniable, but even so, I think we can all agree that she's far more proud of her cultural impact between 1989 to 1993 than for, say, Cherish or Rain. 

You need to watch more Madonna interviews

10 hours ago, Candy Perfume Boy said:

she was also a regular of the arts scene and has been clear about artistic expression and artistic integrity as both a performance artist and musician. 

I think that game was certainly a goal, but creative artistic drive was also a significant motivation.

Exactly. It was about everything. The music, the performance, the fashion.... She wanted to express herself artistically and get noticed for it. She would never have sold out just for fame alone.

I don’t know whether she hates her back catalogue but she obviously wants to sell a certain image of herself these days. That’s why she ignores big pets of her back catalogue, especially songs from the 90s. 
She tries to keep up the image of Madonna, the sexy dance-artist. That’s why she keeps revisiting songs like Like A Virgin or Material Girl although she’s said more than once that she doesn’t like them. She seems to forget and wants people to forget that a good part of her career was based on mid-tempo tracks and ballads. Most of her hits between Justify My Love and Music have been mid- or down-tempo songs but she doesn’t want to perform them on tour. That’s why she sticks to a very limited part of her back catalogue, simply because it suits the image she wants to present best. At least that’s my impression. 

On another note it is becoming harder to enjoy topics and conversations on this forum. Everytime someone opens one asking a question and somebody answer (and I'm not talking about me, I see this behaviour towards others more than with myself) some members pop up out of nowhere just to negate the opinion posted without giving room to extend the conversation. *Sigh*

A forum is about different opinions, you just can't say "no, you're wrong" to everything you don't agree, try giving your point of view without making it personal, is it that hard?

:Madonna038:

On 8/7/2021 at 2:33 PM, diegolcl said:

On another note it is becoming harder to enjoy topics and conversations on this forum. Everytime someone opens one asking a question and somebody answer (and I'm not talking about me, I see this behaviour towards others more than with myself) some members pop up out of nowhere just to negate the opinion posted without giving room to extend the conversation. *Sigh*

A forum is about different opinions, you just can't say "no, you're wrong" to everything you don't agree, try giving your point of view without making it personal, is it that hard?

I get your wider point and no shade but…

You can just say “no you’re wrong” 

People can say what they like as long as they’re respectful. This is free speech.

doesn’t make them right. 
All we have is the right to be able to offer different opinions. Not agreeing with them and stating that is absolutely fine. 
Not tolerating someone disagreeing is tyrannical. 

Shift the perspective.

just my right / wrong two cents. 

7 minutes ago, steady75 said:

I get your wider point and no shade but…

You can just say “no you’re wrong” 

People can say what they like as long as they’re respectful. This is free speech.

doesn’t make them right. 
All we have is the right to be able to offer different opinions. Not agreeing with them and stating that is absolutely fine. 
Not tolerating someone disagreeing is tyrannical. 

Shift the perspective.

just my right / wrong two cents. 

No, you're wrong

On 8/7/2021 at 11:33 PM, diegolcl said:

But numerous people gave their points of view and added to the discussion, explaining why they didn’t agree. I think you were just upset that so many people disagreed with you. You are free to explain yourself further and give examples rather than take it as a personal attack. (Which it wasn’t.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2021 at 5:05 AM, Aiwa08 said:

It's 2021 and it's been 40 years since Everybody. Other artist milk their back catalogue with strange demos, obscure remixes, and b-sides, all packed in fancy boxsets. They remaster their songs and videos with an amazing quality. But Madonna don't do that. 

Many times I've heard that she hates her back catalogue,  the one that made her the queen of pop and dance music during 40 years. 

Do you think this is real? Does Madonna hate her back catalog? Why she doesn't remaster her only vinyl tracks? Why she doesn't remaster her videos using the original negatives? She is part of the music history and apparently doesn't care.

What is your opinion?

Hilarious thread now that the Warner deal has been announced ?

On 8/7/2021 at 11:11 AM, ShantiAshtangi said:

I don’t know whether she hates her back catalogue but she obviously wants to sell a certain image of herself these days. That’s why she ignores big pets of her back catalogue, especially songs from the 90s. 
She tries to keep up the image of Madonna, the sexy dance-artist. That’s why she keeps revisiting songs like Like A Virgin or Material Girl although she’s said more than once that she doesn’t like them. She seems to forget and wants people to forget that a good part of her career was based on mid-tempo tracks and ballads. Most of her hits between Justify My Love and Music have been mid- or down-tempo songs but she doesn’t want to perform them on tour. That’s why she sticks to a very limited part of her back catalogue, simply because it suits the image she wants to present best. At least that’s my impression. 

That or she doesn't really understand what can be popular these days, that's why some of her best songs become obscure tracks at the end of the album and never singles. I was so surprised with Medellin, I'm sure she'd never release it without the support and power of Maluma. And if I hadn't been a fan, I'd only think of her as a dance pop icon goddess who also sang an Isla Bonita and a Frozen lol 

Songs like Drowned World and Bad Girl could be sung today by Billie Eillish and Olivia Rodrigo and turn into huge hits and Madonna should realize that 

I hate those expectations by some audiences that artists always have to play their most known hits. I have seen countless reviews, even by professional music journalists that complain that Madonna did not sing every classic.

If you really want to hear hits, you should probably just listen to a greatest hits album, or better, buy a jukebox. I can imagine that artists that do stick to this principle must really be tired of playing the same song over and over again. 

I don't think Madonna hates her catalog. I think the word "hate" you used is a mischosen word. She doesn't hate her catalog, she's just a person who always values the future more than the past. For her, the catalog of the past was important to those who now had to hang on to the memories of the past. She didn't like to dwell on the past because she had the confidence to hit new songs. That was Madonna, the pop queen we know. That's the Madonna the queen of pop I loved so much.

I mean she was like that until madame X album. But she changed after Madame x's failure. Now she is turning into a person obsessed with the glory she achieved in the past.  sadly.

Edited by the queen (see edit history)

48 minutes ago, the queen said:

I don't think Madonna hates her catalog. I think the word "hate" you used is a mischosen word. She doesn't hate her catalog, she's just a person who always values the future more than the past.

Maybe in english "hate" is not the correct word (many times in Spain "hate" means "I don't like" or "I don't really care") . She "doesn't care enough" would have been a better choice for the question.

Fortunately, with the Warner deal, my question is now useless.