Would Confessions Have Worked as a Farewell Tour?

eXtremeOccident

Listening back to the album and just reminiscing....I've always thought this tour felt like the last tour where Madonna was truly MADONNA. Though MDNA still comes close, even though it's missing a certain spark that keeps it from truly feeling like it's in pre-2007 Madonna territory.

If she had ended her career after tour, would the tour have gone down as her Magnum Opus? I see it referenced so much nowadays when comparing other pop shows, and honestly, at least for Millennials / Gen Z, it seems to be one of the most iconic tours of all time. 

So I'm curious what you guys think -- Would this have been considered her Crowned Jewel if she had ended on the high note that was Confessions? Nowadays, it feels like Confessions is marginalized by everything that came after, since her career is just that much longer nowadays, but a lot of fans seem to forget just how big that era was. People still wanted to pay exorbitant prices to see her. She was hard to go see. She started on time and was an absolute class act and professional. She was decently well-balanced with setlists. She had quality control and an expensive and iconic brand. She still had a big "mystique" and was inaccessible.

I don't know....as much as fans say some of us overrate this era, I sometimes think it's underrated. This really was the last time Madonna was truly MADONNA, and I do think this tour would go down in history books if she had ended on such a high note as this.

If you disagree -- Why? What would a Madonna farewell tour look like to you?

40 minutes ago, bedtimestory said:

''She had quality control and an expensive and iconic brand. She still had a big "mystique" and was inaccessible.'' 

HE'S RIGHT!

Y’all need to start living in the present.

Just a reminder it’s August 2021 and not 1989 or 2005 or whatever year you are stuck in.

Music has changed, technology has evolved and the definition of an artist/entertainer adapted to the times. 

Can we please keep up with the times and stop having unrealistic expectations?

I get what u mean... But it could be said for any of her tours up till then. If she stopped at 2001 then the Drowned World Tour would be seen as her Magnus Opus. But I do agree that something changed after the Confessions era. I think most people agree. Even everyone in the thread rolling their eyes would agree, but they're just tired of hearing about it. BUTTTTTT

Things change. 

I think the music industry changed. (How artists make money and even how much money they make)

Her face changes. 

Her booty changes. 

We just have to change with it. 

She's not the queen of pop anymore. 

She doesn't hit #1 with every single anymore. 

and it's ok. It doesn't change who I listen to every single day. I actually kind of prefer her in the place that she is now. It's more punk rock. She's more underground. and I get the feeling that she feels comfortable where she is now. As opposed to where she was during MDNA and Rebel Heart. I think she felt a bit lost. IMHO.

The Confessions Tour will always be one of my top performances from her. If I want to impress someone who doesn't know her work... I put on Confessions Tour. The intro alone hypnotizes you into submission and any preconceived notion you thought about Madonna is thrown out the window with the video backdrop, the colors, the disco ball, and the artistic electronica of Future Lovers. 

I mean most people already wrote it but I think that's subjective. It can apply to any of her tours pre 2007. Blond Ambition was originally deemed her "farewell tour" since she was adamant on never going on tour again until Girlie Show. 

Drowned World would be a good farewell tour in terms of theatrics and Madonna's live vocals, physique and stamina being arguably at their peak but also people would be pissed that her farewell tour lacked the old hits 

Actually, for me Re-Invention is a step forward and a step back. After Vogue and Nobody Knows Me the show kind of peters out in energy (even with songs like Express Yourself, Hanky Panky and Don't Tell Me sprinkled throughout) until Into the Groove. It would be a great farewell tour in terms of being full of hits but it seems like a step down in production coming off of Drowned World.

Would have loved the Virgin Tour as her Farewell!!

Honestly, ...  I'm also totally over this kind of pseudo-melancholic nostalgia to the seemingly long-passed time in which "Madonna was truly MADONNA.". The exact same thing has obviously been repeated tiresomely, over and over again, ever since Madonna first changed her previously distinctive look of messy hair and colourful ‘street’ clothing and jewellery in a more mature look as Mrs Penn known for the iconic short, platinum hairstyle. Poor Maripol was left with a full warehouse of rubber crucifix earrings that were suddenly no longer selling and was bankrupted in 1987.

The paradox is that Madonna simultaneously both always been as well as has never been "truly Madonna". Who is the true Madonna? A punk-influenced cheeky 80's pop star? A modernized version of Marilyn Monroe? An controversial activist for the feminist and queer progressive movements? A profound spirituality seeker? A fitness enthusiast and gym owner? A screenplay writer and movie director? A devoted mother? A posh estate-owner in the English country-side? A children's book author? A skincare ambassador?

I hate to burst your bubble but the incarnation of Madonna during Confessions and this part of her life was just probably the way you had "discovered" her and it was what first attracted you to her, as it was uncovering before your eyes. You could just as well argue that the faux-English accent on the Confession Tour was no more "truly Madonna" than her grillz and Instagram selfies are nowadays. No one that has grown up with Erotica and Truth or Dare would not have been predict even remotely what the actual subject and content of a book called The English Roses would turn out to.be.

IT'S ALL TRULY MADONNA TO ME
ISN'T THAT REALLY THE BEAUTY OF IT ALL?

• 1 month later...
On 8/13/2021 at 6:02 PM, Just 4 said:

Would have loved the Virgin Tour as her Farewell!!

Honestly, ...  I'm also totally over this kind of pseudo-melancholic nostalgia to the seemingly long-passed time in which "Madonna was truly MADONNA.". The exact same thing has obviously been repeated tiresomely, over and over again, ever since Madonna first changed her previously distinctive look of messy hair and colourful ‘street’ clothing and jewellery in a more mature look as Mrs Penn known for the iconic short, platinum hairstyle. Poor Maripol was left with a full warehouse of rubber crucifix earrings that were suddenly no longer selling and was bankrupted in 1987.

The paradox is that Madonna simultaneously both always been as well as has never been "truly Madonna". Who is the true Madonna? A punk-influenced cheeky 80's pop star? A modernized version of Marilyn Monroe? An controversial activist for the feminist and queer progressive movements? A profound spirituality seeker? A fitness enthusiast and gym owner? A screenplay writer and movie director? A devoted mother? A posh estate-owner in the English country-side? A children's book author? A skincare ambassador?

I hate to burst your bubble but the incarnation of Madonna during Confessions and this part of her life was just probably the way you had "discovered" her and it was what first attracted you to her, as it was uncovering before your eyes. You could just as well argue that the faux-English accent on the Confession Tour was no more "truly Madonna" than her grillz and Instagram selfies are nowadays. No one that has grown up with Erotica and Truth or Dare would not have been predict even remotely what the actual subject and content of a book called The English Roses would turn out to.be.

IT'S ALL TRULY MADONNA TO ME
ISN'T THAT REALLY THE BEAUTY OF IT ALL?

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!  Someone in this fanbase actually gets it. 

tumblr_mqqpwlsMs51scs5nho1_500.gif