MADONNA AND WARNER MUSIC GROUP ANNOUNCE MILESTONE, CAREER-SPANNING PARTNERSHIP!!

Shoful

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Won't say it too loud but I'll take this:

And this:

MDN_IllTeachYou_590x.png?v=1657322386

https://shopuk.madonna.com/products/ill-teach-you-how-to-tee

As a hint for "Erotica 30", maybe? :eyes:

I know it was part of the march on the Pride show but the timing is perfect...

Erotica would be great but i still think it will be the first album :)

4 hours ago, FameForLove said:

I don't think you could call Erotica a flop

Unfortunately, we can't re-write the history. Erotica was one of major albuns flop she had and it has nothing to deal with music quality and the great video singles. SEX book controversy eclipsed the album and it was a comercial flop at the time. It's a cult album now and also one of the most fans favorite era, but if you take a look at streams, you'll see general public still doesn't connect with it. Streams are very low, including youtube videos. 

5 hours ago, lap said:

Unfortunately, we can't re-write the history. Erotica was one of major albuns flop she had and it has nothing to deal with music quality and the great video singles. SEX book controversy eclipsed the album and it was a comercial flop at the time. It's a cult album now and also one of the most fans favorite era, but if you take a look at streams, you'll see general public still doesn't connect with it. Streams are very low, including youtube videos. 

Streams are always relative to the success of the album in its original form though, especially for older albums. Because people only really go back and listen to Albums they bought at the time or songs that were played on the radio. 

Every one of Madonna singles from the 80’s could happily feature on an 80’s playlist. For a 90’s playlist Madonna would get Vogue, Take A Bow, Frozen & Ray Of Light. Erotica album doesn’t really capture the feel of the decade. It was sorta out there on its own. Despite having house and hip hop stylings, the eras that bookend it (eg Vogue / Bedtime Stories / Ray Of Light for techno and trip hop two of the decades other defining genres ) lean in to those genres more faithfully.

The 90’s was seen as a decade where established pop artists really started playing dress up in other genres so often the public didn’t find it authentic and didn’t accept it. Kylie moving into Deep house and Brit pop. Janet’s Janet album moved away from pure her previous industrial New Jack Swing sound and incorporated loads of different genres. Prince started to struggle when moving away from his Minneapolis sound and his leanings into Gangster Rap stylings were not well received either. Diamonds and Pearls with NPG was a divisive smash but is often cited as the turning point of his commercial decline. Loads and loads of other never really made it out of the 80’s. 

Point being that much of the structure of streaming is built around genre and decade / era themes. You’re either a totem for that genre/era or you may have a few exceptions to that rule that were undeniable smashes or representative of a comeback or freak resurgence. Erotica era won’t fall into either of those categories and playlist curators are looking for defining songs. Erotica ain’t that. 

So if anything it would probably benefit from a reappraisal more than many of her albums. 

I totally can see "Erotica" as the first reissue, as a statement on her part more than anything. "Look how I paved the way for everyone else... 30 years ago and I'm still doing it today". It also has countless demos and versions that she can use as bonus material.

But let's see. Of course "Like A Prayer", "Ray Of Light" or even "Madonna" would be safest choices.

7 hours ago, lap said:

Screaming Macaulay Culkin GIF by Home AloneOh no not the streams!

1 hour ago, Prayer said:

I totally can see "Erotica" as the first reissue, as a statement on her part more than anything. "Look how I paved the way for everyone else... 30 years ago and I'm still doing it today". It also has countless demos and versions that she can use as bonus material.

But let's see. Of course "Like A Prayer", "Ray Of Light" or even "Madonna" would be safest choices.

Didn’t they make an announcement about Fever appearing in some show this fall?

That could be part of the promotion for the reissue. And now they released a tshirt for it. I feel like all these breadcrumbs are not accidental.

And even if the album didn’t sell that well at the time, today it’s being praised by critics, fans and music collectors.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/madonnas-erotica-sex-why-musical-masterpiece-defiant-book-still-matter-200685/amp/

Also I don’t see the how the original success of the albums really impacts the reissues. We know that whatever they put out it will sell very well. 
The standard repress of erotica they did in 2019 sold out pretty much immediately.

1 minute ago, thegoldencalf said:

Didn’t they make an announcement about Fever appearing in some show this fall?

That could be part of the promotion for the reissue. And now they released a tshirt for it. I feel like all these breadcrumbs are not accidental.

And even if the album didn’t sell that well at the time, today it’s being praised by critics, fans and music collectors.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/madonnas-erotica-sex-why-musical-masterpiece-defiant-book-still-matter-200685/amp/

Also I don’t see the how the original success of the albums really impacts the reissues. We know that whatever they put out it will sell very well. 
The standard repress of erotica they did in 2019 sold out pretty much immediately.

The question is: will the reissue be a remaster?

Obviously, we know that she'll dig through the vaults for this but will the album itself be remastered? The 2012 reissue vinyl is remastered and sounded so beautiful.

3 minutes ago, Roy said:

Obviously, we know that she'll dig through the vaults for this but will the album itself be remastered? The 2012 reissue vinyl is remastered and sounded so beautiful.

I am hoping all the albums will get some remastering. But only if they go to the original masters and do it properly. We don’t need some digitally enhanced versions of the final versions like we’re getting for FEL.

Hopefully after 40 years her catalogue will finally get the serious treatment it deserves.

1 minute ago, thegoldencalf said:

I am hoping all the albums will get some remastering. But only if they go to the original masters and do it properly. We don’t need some digitally enhanced versions of the final versions like we’re getting for FEL.

Hopefully after 40 years her catalogue will finally get the serious treatment it deserves.

By masters, you mean from the actual master tapes themselves or down to the stems?

11 minutes ago, Roy said:

Of course it will. That's one of the most important selling points for this kind of releases. :) People won't buy the same thing they already have (well, most people anyway haha).

10 hours ago, lap said:

Five million records sold worldwide is hardly a flop.  No, it did not outsell the first four mammoth  records but it did not flop and Madonna did not have to buy hits like today's artists.  As well, we cannot use streaming as a standard for albums that are 30 years old.  Streaming did not exist and many people who stream are focused on the here and now, not nostalgia.   

58 minutes ago, Sultrysully said:

Five million records sold worldwide is hardly a flop.  No, it did not outsell the first four mammoth  records but it did not flop and Madonna did not have to buy hits like today's artists.  As well, we cannot use streaming as a standard for albums that are 30 years old.  Streaming did not exist and many people who stream are focused on the here and now, not nostalgia.   

Except "Erotica" (the song) the singles were a flop in sales. Radio stations didn't play the singles. TV didn't play the videos. We all love "Erotica" but like it or not it is considered the first Madonna's flop in music.

"Erotica" almost kill her career.

1 minute ago, Aiwa08 said:

Except "Erotica" (the song) the singles were a flop in sales. Radio stations didn't play the singles. TV didn't play the videos. We all love "Erotica" but like it or not it is considered the first Madonna's flop in music.

Erotica almost kill her career.

But thats not because of the quality of the record. At the time, the public was suffering from Madonna overload. She had been everywhere at once for 3 years. Something (im assuming from her track record in recent years...and since) she has learned from.