MADONNA AND WARNER MUSIC GROUP ANNOUNCE MILESTONE, CAREER-SPANNING PARTNERSHIP!!

Shoful

David Bowie’s estate have released a boxset relating to his “Hunky Dory” album. It’s basically a “lead up” to the album which chronicles the songwriting demos, performances and alternate takes of songs from the album. I really like this approach, as it’s like a look behind the curtain that shows how the album came to be. It’s a beautiful set that includes a stunning book and also a replica of his notebook with his writings of lyrics, ideas for the album etc. We know that M is a huge David Bowie fan, so I wonder if she will be influenced by his legacy releases. 

Edited by RyanUK (see edit history)

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, RyanUK said:

David Bowie’s estate have released a boxset relating to his “Hunky Dory” album. It’s basically a “lead up” to the album which chronicles the songwriting demos, performances and alternate takes of songs from the album. I really like this approach, as it’s like a look behind the curtain that shows how the album came to be. It’s a beautiful set that includes a stunning book and also a replica of his notebook with his writings of lyrics, ideas for the album etc. We know that M is a huge David Bowie fan, so I wonder if she will be influenced by his legacy releases. 

I don't think that Madonna is paying much attention to what David Bowies estate is doing or would really be influenced even if she was. I agree with you that the set is beautiful and I am definitely getting one myself but I doubt we will see anything similar from Madonna.

David Bowie estate already made a similar box set available like two years ago for Christmas too, for the same sessions leading up to Hunky Dory but with tracks missings from the Arnold Corn sessions and few others. Now they made a new one with the missing tracks (some are still missing though). They are milking it. Also the Bowie Estate made terrible remasters with the box sets by periods (Five Years, A New Career etc...), Heroes being the best example but most of the albums are now too loud. Bowie fans prefer the original RCA cd's from the 80's. 

When Bowie was still alive, like Madonna is, and he started remastering his albums in the early 90's, we had a terrible box set, Sound + Vision, a lame Greatest Hits (my first Bowie "album" though) with a terrible Fame 90 remix to promote it. The Rykodisc remasters of all his albums had nice outtakes which turned out to have been tempered with by Bowie at the time. But the remasters of the original albums are not very good. And they changed some original covers like Station To Station. 

16 minutes ago, Andreo said:

I can't be the only one who wants the WTG OST songs to be included in a True Blue deluxe edition, the thought of not having Commotion and Look of Love on any physical format and actual album of hers has been pissing me for years... 

me too - it makes sense to bundle the wtg and TB era together - I can’t imagine there are any unreleased songs from 86 and 87 but it’s probably my favourite era and that tour is still my fave to this day - I want a beautiful TB 12” size box with all the herb ritts photos from this era plus an unreleased who’s that girl concert audio and video 🥰😘

36 minutes ago, wtg1987 said:

me too - it makes sense to bundle the wtg and TB era together - I can’t imagine there are any unreleased songs from 86 and 87 but it’s probably my favourite era and that tour is still my fave to this day - I want a beautiful TB 12” size box with all the herb ritts photos from this era plus an unreleased who’s that girl concert audio and video 🥰😘

Possibly the full last show in Florence...

1 hour ago, Andreo said:

I can't be the only one who wants the WTG OST songs to be included in a True Blue deluxe edition, the thought of not having Commotion and Look of Love on any physical format and actual album of hers has been pissing me for years... 

I always include the WTG tracks in my TB custom CDs. Always. 

Interesting. I’ve always thought of the WTG soundtrack as a separate project to TB since it was recorded a year later. But I suppose it is the same era and the WTGT is technically the tour to support True Blue.

It’s also weird to lump LAP with IB and Vogue because they feel like very different eras.

1 hour ago, Blue Jean said:

It’s also weird to lump LAP with IB and Vogue because they feel like very different eras.

It's different. LAP and IB are separated albums. Different eras. But if you look the eras considering their singles (their remixes) Vogue feels like a continuation of Express Yourself and Keep It Together. Well, in Europe Keep It Together was the B-Side of Vogue (when Vogue was created to be the B-Side of Keep It Together). So for many european (no-fans) the cronology was LAP-EY-CHERISH-VOGUE as an unique era. Even Rescue Me feels the end of that long era. 

Nah for me Justify / Rescue / Playground sit under the Erotica era. Those three songs are the sonic palette for that whole record really. You could skip them in anywhere on that record and they’d fit seamlessly. I often like to have Rescue Me before or after Rain as the thunder sounds blend beautifully together at the beginning and end. 
In the same way Revolver and Celebration were for MDNA. 

Im Breathless is such a weird anomaly in her discography that Vogue almost feels better placed as an Immaculate Collection single. It really was just takes on the end there there to shift extra copies of the soundtrack inspired record it’s so out of place and is sonically a million miles away from anything else on that record. 
And to think she had a problem with American Pie all those years later. 

1 minute ago, Blue Jean said:

Well here’s a question for you guys.

Is I’ll Remember part of the Erotica era or the Bedtime Stories era?

It's more of a transition song towards Bedtime Stories. We have the "Rain" look for the music video but the vibe is giving us Bedtime Stories. It's like how Time Stood Still has the sound of Ray of Light but has elements that would somewhat fit to Music.

11 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

Interesting. I’ve always thought of the WTG soundtrack as a separate project to TB since it was recorded a year later. But I suppose it is the same era and the WTGT is technically the tour to support True Blue.

I sat here for 20 minutes trying to figure out what the hell IB is. 💀

Let's suppose every song of hers will be reissued and put "in the right place" of her discography, either in single albums or in entire reissued "eras", would compilations count? If so, songs such as Rescue Me, Justify, I'll Rememeber etc would imo go to their original compilations and that's it. But I agree with @steady75Rescue Me and Justify sounds fucking lit as Erotica tracks I'd like them reissued there 😭 

13 hours ago, steady75 said:

The first three albums are like 40 mins like. Use that extra 33 mins on a cd and save the planet tbh. That’s like 8 new extra songs space. No more second discs with six songs. . I’d personally rather have it all on one. Second CD with album demos and alt versions. 

I personally think the albums should be re-issued, remastered and released in their original state.  The extras and remixes can go on separate discs.  It doesn't have to be only six songs on one disc. I guess I'm thinking and hoping for a Vinyl edition or what comes out as well.  (I know? Pipe dream, but it's no more wilder than what others have been wanting.  LOL!)  Both George Micheal and Belinda Carlisle's box sets for various albums did that.  The full albums were remastered and then there were separate discs for all the Extras. 

Edited by tscott (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, tscott said:

I personally think the albums should be re-issued, remastered and released in their original state.  The extras and remixes can go on separate discs.  It doesn't have to be extra discs. I guess I'm thinking and hoping for a Vinyl edition or what comes out as well.  (I know? Pipe dream, but it's no more wilder than what others have been wanting.  LOL!)  Both George Micheal and Belinda Carlisle's box sets for various albums did that.  The full albums were remastered and then there were separate discs for all the Extras. 

Edsel did re-issues of Belinda's albums, and put the 7" versions after the album on disc one.  Fans cheered with joy. They weren't supposed to be included at all, but fans protested, and Edsel listened. :)

And I agree with @steady75. It's just stupid to not use the extra 30-40 minutes left on a cd after the album.

14 minutes ago, Celebration said:

Edsel did re-issues of Belinda's albums, and put the 7" versions after the album on disc one.  Fans cheered with joy. They weren't supposed to be included at all, but fans protested, and Edsel listened. :)

And I agree with @steady75. It's just stupid to not use the extra 30-40 minutes left on a cd after the album.

It's different with the Vinyl box sets.  They came separate from the original album.  I just love that it's separate and I'm sure a lot of that is because Vinyls can't have as many song that a CD.  I still prefer that the original albums stay in their original state, but I understand what you mean regarding the extra space on CD's.  :)