MADONNA AND WARNER MUSIC GROUP ANNOUNCE MILESTONE, CAREER-SPANNING PARTNERSHIP!!

Shoful

17 hours ago, steady75 said:

Sonically I’ll Remember doesnt fit at all with Erotica. I could possibly imagine it at the end of Take A Bow on Bedtime but I wouldn’t be happy with that either. As. Precursor to Orbits Ray Of Light sound I suppose. The mmmmmms are very Secret-esque I suppose. Leading into Frozen. Her mmmmm trilogy. 

I suppose STR did a great job of finding a home for all those lonely ballads. Though I’ll never understand why The Look of Love was neglected there. Stunning stunning song. 

Agree...

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/29/2022 at 2:02 PM, steady75 said:

Sonically I’ll Remember doesnt fit at all with Erotica. I could possibly imagine it at the end of Take A Bow on Bedtime but I wouldn’t be happy with that either. 

It is definitely more Bedtime Stories than Erotica. But kind of neither really.

On 11/29/2022 at 11:02 AM, steady75 said:

Sonically I’ll Remember doesnt fit at all with Erotica. I could possibly imagine it at the end of Take A Bow on Bedtime but I wouldn’t be happy with that either. As. Precursor to Orbits Ray Of Light sound I suppose. The mmmmmms are very Secret-esque I suppose. Leading into Frozen. Her mmmmm trilogy. 

I suppose STR did a great job of finding a home for all those lonely ballads. Though I’ll never understand why The Look Of Love was neglected there. Stunning stunning song. 

I would have never thought of that... now I'm sad. :Madonna041:

On 11/29/2022 at 3:02 AM, steady75 said:

I suppose STR did a great job of finding a home for all those lonely ballads. Though I’ll never understand why The Look Of Love was neglected there. Stunning stunning song. 

Totally agree - I would have replaced forbidden love and the dreadful one more chance with the look of love and Spanish eyes - I just think she hates the wtg soundtrack - mainly because are hates the film so much - she said it was her worst film believe it or not 😱

50 minutes ago, wtg1987 said:

Totally agree - I would have replaced forbidden love and the dreadful one more chance with the look of love and Spanish eyes - I just think she hates the wtg soundtrack - mainly because are hates the film so much - she said it was her worst film believe it or not 😱

"Her worst film"?

No. That honor goes to Swept Away.

But yes, the whine fest that is One More Chance is horrible and should never have been recorded.

5 minutes ago, animalinstinct said:

Isn’t David Foster a bit of a twat anyway? 

He's an absolute twat hat.

I agree with the previous poster who said that The Look of Love should've been on there. It could've had an accompanying ep like The Immaculate Collection did featuring The Look of Love, La Isla Bonita, a remixed version of Spanish Eyes and an orchestral of Bad Girl. 

2 minutes ago, Pootz333 said:

I must be the only person that likes "One More Chance". 

The Look of Love is one of her best songs ever. I've wanted her to perform a live mashup of it with "Latte" since it leaked. I can hear it in my head and it's a moment. 

One More Chance is a good song too. A shame it wasn't pushed further. :(

3 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

Even david foster says he wasnt that impressed with the 3 songs he did with her ( i cant forget, OMC and you'll see) although i consider youll see one of her best ballads of the 90s xx

He didn't say exactly that:

"At the end of the day, the songs we did were not particularly impressive, though one of them, 'You'll See', was really great. Madonna had written a great lyric ('You think that I can't live without your love / You'll see') and I thought my music was great"

More self-awareness than shading her, in my opinion. I can see why he liked "You'll See" more than "One More Chance".

I love "One More Chance" by the way, it's pure raw Madonna ballad voice, just like "Pray For Spanish Eyes". They're not perfect but they're touching. It's raw emotion.

About certain songs not being on certain albums or compilations, remember back then sometimes you needed to buy the whole album just to get that one song you liked and/or wanted. That's why she's always kept some songs on their original albums, to force you to buy them if you wanted the whole collection: "The Look Of Love" on the "Who's That Girl" soundtrack is just another example of this.

9 hours ago, Pootz333 said:

I must be the only person that likes "One More Chance".

I do like it, but it's not one of her best either to me.

8 hours ago, Prayer said:

About certain songs not being on certain albums or compilations, remember back then sometimes you needed to buy the whole album just to get that one song you liked and/or wanted. That's why she's always kept some songs on their original albums, to force you to buy them if you wanted the whole collection: "The Look Of Love" on the "Who's That Girl" soundtrack is just another example of this.

That's generally true for the songs coming from compilations or soundtracks not being released as singles (ie: Spotlight outside of Japan, Beautiful Stranger in the US, American Pie in the US), but I'm not sure this applies to Something to Remember.

Some songs that are on it are album tracks. Forbidden Love was put on it as it was supposed to be Bedtime Stories' 5th single, but the title track seems to have been chosen due to being a personal favorite rather than anything else, and was before that an I'm Breathless exclusive. Same can be said for Love Don't Live Here Anymore, which was previously only released as a single in Japan in 1986 and was previously just a Like a Virgin album track everywhere else.

I think that for this compilation the songs were more chosen based on personal preference rather than their potential exclusivity, and I'm really glad that they chose This Used to Be My Playground and I'll Remember for it, as they've never been released on a Madonna record otherwise. Crazy for You was also only released in remixed form beforehand and while the version on Something to Remember is not the exact same as the original, it's the closest to it we have on a Madonna record.

12 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

I’m surprised Promise to Try was not on Something To Remember

Have you heard the instrumental version of this on Youtube?  It is an astonishing piece of musical heaven.  Sheer class and Utterly moving.  After years of enjoying it with vocals, it is radiant with an emotion that I've never realised before despite the loveliness of the orginal.  A compelling inclusion for STR and to think that the same star would go on to release the trash that is MDNA.  Virgin and whore right enough. lol

2 hours ago, schumakg86 said:

I fucking love One More Chance. The vocal gymnastics she’s able to go through so shortly after her breakthrough in vocal lessons for Evita…just her and that guitar. Stunning.

I would love for her to do an unplugged live album with just a guitar, a piano and her with a small crowd. :D

I would be fascinated to hear Love Tried to Welcome Me, One More Chance and Bad Girl performed that way. 

8 hours ago, beastwivvin said:

Have you heard the instrumental version of this on Youtube?  It is an astonishing piece of musical heaven.  Sheer class and Utterly moving.  After years of enjoying it with vocals, it is radiant with an emotion that I've never realised before despite the loveliness of the orginal.  A compelling inclusion for STR and to think that the same star would go on to release the trash that is MDNA.  Virgin and whore right enough. lol

MDNA is a metallic club album that is great if you want some angry, moody dance moments. Not really trash random songs through out all her catalogue. I’m more of an EDM, dance guy myself so it’s rare I traverse STR as an album but I live One More Chance. Low key and raw.

4 minutes ago, gafuller said:

MDNA is a metallic club album that is great if you want some angry, moody dance moments. Not really trash random songs through out all her catalogue. I’m more of an EDM, dance guy myself so it’s rare I traverse STR as an album but I live One More Chance. Low key and raw.

We love us some angry, raving music but looking back at it, some songs need to be reworked but the rest are amazing, especially Gang Bang, I'm Addicted, Girl Gone Wild and Superstar. :D

2 hours ago, Roy said:

We love us some angry, raving music but looking back at it, some songs need to be reworked but the rest are amazing, especially Gang Bang, I'm Addicted, Girl Gone Wild and Superstar. :D

By no means a perfect album. But I can’t think of many of her albums where there isn’t a song here or there I couldn’t see having needed a bit more work. MDNA is just crushed underneath an already dense and vivid catalogue unfortunately.