MADONNA AND WARNER MUSIC GROUP ANNOUNCE MILESTONE, CAREER-SPANNING PARTNERSHIP!!

Shoful

15 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

So true. Did you hear on the recent Red Hot Chilli Peppers tour in Oz fans complained about the setlist and so the band made changes to keep them happy and added a heap more of their older songs. The fans have WAY too much say now. Let the artist be the artist.

Doing a Deep dive into this, and while I'm not doubting there were complaints, I'm pretty baffled by it.  Looking at the set list, only 5 to 6 songs come from the two albums that the tour was based on.  That left 12 to 13 older songs being performed. Most all are very well known RHCP songs.  Doing a further dive on some of the fan sites and Reddit, it seems the complaints are being embellished by the media because over all most fans were fine with the set list, and many concluded that there is always going to be those who complain and they seem to scream the loudest.  That tends to be the case in a lot of fan bases, including Madonna fans.  Negativity and pessimism tends to be a popular way for people to get attention and unfortunately our society is easily baited to respond to the small majority that are complaining just about anything these days which ultimately makes the issue far more than what it really is. The tour IS billed on the last two album releases,  so I'm not sure what these people were expecting?  If anything, the complaint should be that there wasn't enough material from the two newer albums instead.  LOL! 

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, tscott said:

Doing a Deep dive into this, and while I'm not doubting there were complaints, I'm pretty baffled by it.  Looking at the set list, only 5 to 6 songs come from the two albums that the tour was based on.  That left 12 to 13 older songs being performed. Most all are very well known RHCP songs.  Doing a further dive on some of the fan sites and Reddit, it seems the complaints are being embellished by the media because over all most fans were fine with the set list, and many concluded that there is always going to be those who complain and they seem to scream the loudest.  That tends to be the case in a lot of fan bases, including Madonna fans.  Negativity and pessimism tends to be a popular way for people to get attention and unfortunately our society is easily baited to respond to the small majority that are complaining just about anything these days which ultimately makes the issue far more than what it really is. The tour IS billed on the last two album releases,  so I'm not sure what these people were expecting?  If anything, the complaint should be that there wasn't enough material from the two newer albums instead.  LOL! 

The setlist changed every night and in Sydney they did a lot of newer songs , looking at the list I only know 4 of these:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/red-hot-chili-peppers/2023/accor-stadium-sydney-australia-3bbd201c.html

So yes I believe the complaints were real, perhaps exaggerated by the media. But It was a stadium tour so lots of people attending just wouldn’t know their newer albums.

They added a few more hits on future shows around the country, Under the Bridge was played on some shows.

14 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

The setlist changed every night and in Sydney they did a lot of newer songs , looking at the list I only know 4 of these:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/red-hot-chili-peppers/2023/accor-stadium-sydney-australia-3bbd201c.html

So yes I believe the complaints were real. It was a stadium tour so lots of people attending just wouldn’t know their newer albums.

They added a few more hits on future shows around the country, Under the Bridge was played in Melbourne.

Yeah, I read they changed up the set list on certain shows, but looking at that night's set list, again only about 6 songs are from the last two albums which the tour was billed.  All the rest of the songs are older songs.  I guess you can't please everyone.  I still believe this is a matter of just a small majority got upset, so it made the news.  I really have no sympathy for those who attend someone's concert without the knowledge of what the tour is being promoted for.  It wasn't billed as some "Greatest Hits" show.  It would be like Madonna fans getting upset at about any of Madonna's past tours where she heavily focused on the latest release.  Imagine fans getting upset that Madonna didn't play the hits on a tour named after the current release Madame X.  :lol:

18 minutes ago, tscott said:

Yeah, I read they changed up the set list on certain shows, but looking at that night's set list, again only about 6 songs are from the last two albums which the tour was billed.  All the rest of the songs are older songs.  I guess you can't please everyone.  I still believe this is a matter of just a small majority got upset, so it made the news.  I really have no sympathy for those who attend someone's concert without the knowledge of what the tour is being promoted for.  It wasn't billed as some "Greatest Hits" show.  It would be like Madonna fans getting upset at about any of Madonna's past tours where she heavily focused on the latest release.  Imagine fans getting upset that Madonna didn't play the hits on a tour named after the current release Madame X.  :lol:

They did get upset lol

20 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

I so want Parade and a clean version of Heaven ( a 1985 unreleased track). That said, call me picky BUT, yes the estate did a great job with these Prince releases BUT a lot of vault tracks were slapped on the wrong albums. It's especially true for Purple Rain, most of the unreleased tracks were recorded after the release of the album and movie and a lot of real Purple Rain demos and unreleased tracks were left in the vault instead. Same with 1999 but it's the one that is the most faithful to the recording order of the unreleased material.....but it still misses the unreleased album Prince did between 1999 and Purple Rain (he talked about in his 1985 Rolling Stone interview). What i dislike about Sign O The Times is they could have put a fake Dream Factory album together, even a Crystal Ball one. Some tracks from that era are still missing. 

The wrong songs on the wrong albums drove me nuts too. You know which estate did even worse at that? George Michael's!

Why was MTV Unplugged put on the Listen Without Prejudice re-release? And why was "Fantasy" on the Faith re-release? I mean, I'm glad they've gotten all those non-album tracks out there, just in the wrong places. 

21 minutes ago, clkelley39 said:

The wrong songs on the wrong albums drove me nuts too. You know which estate did even worse at that? George Michael's!

Why was MTV Unplugged put on the Listen Without Prejudice re-release? And why was "Fantasy" on the Faith re-release? I mean, I'm glad they've gotten all those non-album tracks out there, just in the wrong places. 

And the OLDER artwork ! I don't know how involved  G. Michael's family is in perpetuating his legacy but whoever is in charge is doing a hell of a very bad job. It's very sad. Sure he was at odds with his record company while still alive but damn, they are killing the artist now that the man is dead. He deserves better. That said, he once said he was against releasing unreleased material because too much of a perfectionist. I hope it does not mean we will never hear in good quality that Too Funky/Happy demo we have in bad quaity :/

On 3/4/2023 at 2:46 PM, Roland Barthes said:

I so want Parade and a clean version of Heaven ( a 1985 unreleased track). That said, call me picky BUT, yes the estate did a great job with these Prince releases BUT a lot of vault tracks were slapped on the wrong albums. It's especially true for Purple Rain, most of the unreleased tracks were recorded after the release of the album and movie and a lot of real Purple Rain demos and unreleased tracks were left in the vault instead. Same with 1999 but it's the one that is the most faithful to the recording order of the unreleased material.....but it still misses the unreleased album Prince did between 1999 and Purple Rain (he talked about in his 1985 Rolling Stone interview). What i dislike about Sign O The Times is they could have put a fake Dream Factory album together, even a Crystal Ball one. Some tracks from that era are still missing. 

I completely agree.  I have been loving the packaging and the attention to detail, but the selection of music itself has been extremely lacking.  And, you're right, completely out of order.  I have "heard of" Heaven but have never actually heard it.  Have you heard it?  

And, trust me, you are not being picky.  Any of the faithful, including myself, feel the way that you feel.  

9 minutes ago, angelamanda623 said:

I completely agree.  I have been loving the packaging and the attention to detail, but the selection of music itself has been extremely lacking.  And, you're right, completely out of order.  I have "heard of" Heaven but have never actually heard it.  Have you heard it?  

And, trust me, you are not being picky.  Any of the faithful, including myself, feel the way that you feel.  

On 3/5/2023 at 2:02 PM, wtg1987 said:

Prince like M has a lot of pro shot concerts that are badly in need of some tlc - namely the nude tour , parade , lovesexy ( his best concert imo ) plus the diamonds and pearls tour - his legacy releases have ground to a halt now for some reason 🥹🥹

I think they're trying to pace themselves. They want to keep releasing stuff for decades, I think, like Jimi Hendrix. Elvis, Beatles, 2Pac, etc. Jimi Hendrix's career last only three years yet they've release approximately 600 albums since his death.

7 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

I guess the more of a fan you are the more you notice the details of these things. For eg, I love Prince and George Michael but I did not notice all those fuck ups. This is why I think they should have fans involved in curating these things.

I know some labels/management have reached out to fans to help with legacy releases for Olivia Newton John and others. It’s really beneficial!

On 3/7/2023 at 8:24 AM, clkelley39 said:

I think they're trying to pace themselves. They want to keep releasing stuff for decades, I think, like Jimi Hendrix. Elvis, Beatles, 2Pac, etc. Jimi Hendrix's career last only three years yet they've release approximately 600 albums since his death.

Which is why they called it a "multi-year" deal.  I'm hoping fans aren't thinking this all is going to be released in the next year or so.  This is going to be the gift that keeps on giving for some years to come. 

14 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

I guess the more of a fan you are the more you notice the details of these things. For eg, I love Prince and George Michael but I did not notice all those fuck ups. This is why I think they should have fans involved in curating these things.

I have to agree fans notice the fuck ups more than anyone else.  In most cases, no one else cares and we make a bigger deal of it than necessary, but I agree including fans to help curate these, would be more satisfying for the fan base.  The problem is; the base is so diverse, there still will always be criticism among whatever is released.  At the end of the day, I prefer Madonna share what she wants with us, and we can hope we might get some rare trinkets along the way.  :)

22 hours ago, tscott said:

The problem is; the base is so diverse, there still will always be criticism among whatever is released.  At the end of the day, I prefer Madonna share what she wants with us, and we can hope we might get some rare trinkets along the way.  :)

...I think it does not take an expert or necessarily a die-hard fan to realize that unheard stuff attracts more than any other "rare" but released stuff, especially in the internet days. There's always been a clear distinction between released and unreleased in any form. They used to label "previously unreleased" to b-sides in the 80s and 90s to boost single sales: Supernatural, Ain't no big deal, Let down your guard...  how could be different now? What is the unheard factor when releasing the single edits of You Can Dance as an exclusive? Release Warning Signs and they see the fanbase is suddenly united in tastes!

1 hour ago, MisterMistere said:

...I think it does not take an expert or necessarily a die-hard fan to realize that unheard stuff attracts more than any other "rare" but released stuff, especially in the internet days. There's always been a clear distinction between released and unreleased in any form. They used to label "previously unreleased" to b-sides in the 80s and 90s to boost single sales: Supernatural, Ain't no big deal, Let down your guard...  how could be different now? What is the unheard factor when releasing the single edits of You Can Dance as an exclusive? Release Warning Signs and they see the fanbase is suddenly united in tastes!

I don't know? Ask those who flip out when some 7'' edit/remix isn't included/released.  :eyes:

1 hour ago, DiscoThomas said:

So, I'm catching up.  Are we getting these rumoured boxsets or what?

Well they're coming regardless, we just don't know when or the order they're being released. The newest rumour is that her debut album will come out when the tour starts this summer.