MADONNA AND WARNER MUSIC GROUP ANNOUNCE MILESTONE, CAREER-SPANNING PARTNERSHIP!!

Shoful

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, tscott said:

I'm pretty confident we are on the eve of the first expansive re-release of one of her landmark albums.  Like you, I feel time is being put in this first re-release.  It should take some time especially if they are putting together beyond just the original tracks. I also feel the only reason we learned of this deal with Warner in 2021 is because Warners was behind the release of the MXT Live digital and streaming release, so they felt they had to address why Madonna is back with Warner.  Still, it was very clear that this deal was to celebrate her 40 years in the business. Her first album has yet to reach that landmark, so it makes sense to wait until that time.  Meanwhile, it's not like things haven't been happening.  We've also got multiple releases since then, which again were single re-issues and special curated releases.  We've got far more in the last two years than in any era, between FEL, Erotica and Everybody Re-issue, American Life Mix show mix, constant digital and streaming releases, video upgrades and a number of new mixes for older songs.  It may have not been everyone's cup of tea, but things are happening and with a divisive fan base, I would say plenty of fans have been pretty excited for all that has come so far.  Is it perfect?  Not at all!  But again, more has been happening regarding releases and her catalog in the last two years, then any year in her career.  It may not match the same impact as the studio albums released originally, but that is to be expected since not all of this is appealing to every fan or even the general public. 

I think this deal has unofficially started around 2017 when rhino started doing limited color pressings of her albums and uploading remixes on streaming and it became official after madame x when her commitments to interscope were fully completed. 
And then any sort of announcement was pushed back because of the pandemic. 
Also, the fact that FEL boxset was limited to 6000 copies on black and red records which clearly doesn’t match the artwork is proof that until now they weren’t able to put in production any sort of large scale release. 

16 minutes ago, wtg1987 said:

i agree with some of your comments and im happy if some fans are happy with the constant focus on vinyl since 2021 - i dont consider dumping decades old songs and remixes onto streaming as back breaking effort - i mean how long does it take someone to upload these files to the servers ??? i think whats frustrating to me(as someone who favours the cd/dvd/blu-ray format) is nothing on those formats yet - and sorry but i consider vinyl a very useless format mostly because its only playable on one medium not to mention the vinyl hiss that i hate - sure it looks nicer than a cd but thats it - what worries me is this new FEL rainbow edition has probably derailed the first big album re-issue now to god knows when ? maybe xmas this year ? and 2 years later we still have no unreleased material which is why i was excited about this deal in the first place - i know i keep moaning but as a fan for nearly 4 decades this is all i want from this deal - not constant re-packaging of stuff ive heard since day 1...

Nothing has been derailed.  You have to keep in mind, Vinyls have made a huge comeback and is a really good collectors item for fans.  In actuality it always has been for decades for many artists.  What is released for RSD has always been a "vinyl" thing.  Yet, the FEL has been released on the formats you enjoyed, so you're not losing anything with this latest re-release. 

Patience is the key here.  I'm sorry this hasn't been appealing to you, but you can't dismiss the constant releases to digital and streaming platforms either.  It's the way music is consumed these days, so it's important that it's being updated.  And yes, it takes a lot of time and effort to get these uploaded officially from a legal standpoint as well.  At the same time, you really can't expect them to just dump everything at the same time.  That would be overkill.  In fact, I think it's already been overkill because a lot of these digital and streaming releases are happening so often that other than hard core fans, no one else really cares.  Then you have those who moan unrealistically about it because not every  edit or promo mix is included. 

Mark my words, you'll get your expansive re-issues in the format you want.  Meanwhile, just enjoy it.  I'm loving all the releases thusfar.  The vinyl releases are awesome because like you I've been a fan from the beginning and that's how I started buying her music... on vinyl.  I'm happy to be revisiting that format again.  At the same time, I have her complete catalog digitally as well.   While streaming is convenient, I prefer to have her catalog on devices I play often, even portable ones without having to worry about data usage, outages, etc. 

7 minutes ago, wtg1987 said:

i agree with some of your comments and im happy if some fans are happy with the constant focus on vinyl since 2021 - i dont consider dumping decades old songs and remixes onto streaming as back breaking effort - i mean how long does it take someone to upload these files to the servers ??? i think whats frustrating to me(as someone who favours the cd/dvd/blu-ray format) is nothing on those formats yet - and sorry but i consider vinyl a very useless format mostly because its only playable on one medium not to mention the vinyl hiss that i hate - sure it looks nicer than a cd but thats it - what worries me is this new FEL rainbow edition has probably derailed the first big album re-issue now to god knows when ? maybe xmas this year ? and 2 years later we still have no unreleased material which is why i was excited about this deal in the first place - i know i keep moaning but as a fan for nearly 4 decades this is all i want from this deal - not constant re-packaging of stuff ive heard since day 1...

Why would the reissue of FEL derail anything?

Theres an emphasis put on vinyl because ip until this year it’s the only physical format that actually makes money and there’s a big demand for Madonna vinyl. 
And yes there’s a lot of work in putting these EPs on streaming. The songs need to be sourced, converted, tagged, covers need to be retrieved (even if the quality sucks), paperwork, royalties etc. it’s much more than you adding the songs to your iTunes library. And Rhino is in charge of many artists not just Madonna 

13 minutes ago, wtg1987 said:

The process would be to for M's team to plan for an anniversary or a special digital release, then research previous releases and then access the Warner library of files and select the files proposed for the release, then M endorses / approves the files chosen, may remove some or add some, then remastering takes place then Rhino distributes etc it would not be a simple process.

I do feel for you as you do favour formats that are not the focus for many artists these days, having said that, I do hope we see CD releases for the expanded editions as I'm a collector and love multi formats etc 

4 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

Why would the reissue of FEL derail anything?

Theres an emphasis put on vinyl because ip until this year it’s the only physical format that actually makes money and there’s a big demand for Madonna vinyl. 
And yes there’s a lot of work in putting these EPs on streaming. The songs need to be sourced, converted, tagged, covers need to be retrieved (even if the quality sucks), paperwork, royalties etc. it’s much more than you adding the songs to your iTunes library. And Rhino is in charge of many artists not just Madonna 

Agreed - FEL on rainbow was relatively simple as just a vinyl colour change and was likely planned over 6 months ago.

From what i can tell there is always multiple vinyl projects in process simultaneously 

16 minutes ago, GregVsMatt said:

Agreed - FEL on rainbow was relatively simple as just a vinyl colour change and was likely planned over 6 months ago.

From what i can tell there is always multiple vinyl projects in process simultaneously 

Yes, the American Life RSD and the Madame X Live show (probably both on standard vinyl and picture disc) and probably the first album deluxe too. 

10 hours ago, GregVsMatt said:

The process would be to for M's team to plan for an anniversary or a special digital release, then research previous releases and then access the Warner library of files and select the files proposed for the release, then M endorses / approves the files chosen, may remove some or add some, then remastering takes place then Rhino distributes etc it would not be a simple process.

No no no no no... It's the easiest thing in the world. Believe me. And we talk about best selling records woman of the world... Not Tori Amos or whoever who sold just a few a long time ago (sorry I just thought about her as an example...).

Digital release require 2 hours of work for a record company such as Warner. Once again, it's not a little record company with 5 people working for it. I saw the process at Universal Music France and they add some music every week a global platforms and it's just a very simple and repetitive process.

Regarding the so called remastering, digitalizing a mixed tape is $60 and a multitrack is around $200. Making a mastering of a song that was already released is very fast and one people is required.

13 hours ago, thegoldencalf said:

Sorry but not !

They have a team of people doing that every week for all the artists. It's so simple. I've seen the person working on it in front of me releasing dozens of songs in a very short time...

All songs have a code called ISRC ID that relies automatically to royalties systems. Digital system is very easy. Of course it requires more people to work on a physical box set. 

19 minutes ago, shakeyerdix said:

Sorry but not !

They have a team of people doing that every week for all the artists. It's so simple. I've seen the person working on it in front of me releasing dozens of songs in a very short time...

All songs have a code that relies automatically to royalties systems. Digital system is very easy. Of course it requires more people to work on a physical box set. 

Exactly - it’s probably the easiest thing for record companies to do now - no production of physical media - the files are mostly already digital . All m has to do is say “ fuck yeah “ or “ fuck no “ so people stop banging on about this process being hard work please - it’s just the norm now - the streaming is only really trying to get new fans so they can just spend more time glued to their phones - the real “meat “ should be for die hard fans who want box sets …

15 hours ago, thegoldencalf said:

This is true, even if some people don't believe it. While way easier (and cheaper) than producing a physical item, of course, digital stuff still requieres WORK and people behind the scenes doing that work. At least to make it right, of course.

And yes, she's not the only artist on Rhino but one of many.

I wonder if there's an artist that got it right. It seems to me that fans always complain no matter what, it's never up to their standards and sometimes, yes, it's very cheap or stuff is missing. But i witnessed it from every fanbase wether it's Bowie, a film director releasing a box set, a writer releasing an anthology etc...

I was listening to the Human League album Dare and on spotify, the deluxe edition missed b-sides.

5 hours ago, shakeyerdix said:

Sorry but not !

All songs have a code called ISRC ID that relies automatically to royalties systems. Digital system is very easy. Of course it requires more people to work on a physical box set. 

There’s a big difference between uploading music made pre streaming and after. I’m not saying it’s a monumental task. Just that it takes more time and effort than people assume. 

22 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

I wonder if there's an artist that got it right. It seems to me that fans always complain no matter what, it's never up to their standards and sometimes, yes, it's very cheap or stuff is missing. But i witnessed it from every fanbase wether it's Bowie, a film director releasing a box set, a writer releasing an anthology etc...

I was listening to the Human League album Dare and on spotify, the deluxe edition missed b-sides.

As long as these reissues are handled better than George Michael’s and Michael Jackson’s I’m happy.

1 hour ago, Shoful said:

HARD CANDY THE FIRST REISSUE CONFIRMED :Madonna009:

MY SUGAR IS RAW EDITION including a 10 Minute Version of Candy Shop:Madonna018:

I teased it few days ago, but here is the full tracklist:

Hard Candy (15th Anniversary Deluxe Reissue Version) 

1. Candy Grillz feat. Awkwafina
2. 4 Minutes (to Destroy All My Fandom) 
3. Don't Give It 2 Me feat. Warner Re-Issues Team
4. (Losing All My Hardcore Fans In a) Heartbeat 
5. Farts Away feat. new vocoder vocals by Justin Timberlake 
6. Mariah's Not Me ('cause She Can Reissue At Least Some of Her Albums) 
7. Incredible Mess 
8. Beat Goes Wrong (feat. 6ix9ine)
9. (Never) Dance (Definitely Not) 2night 
10. Spanish Lesson (Broken Spanish Version) 
11. My Mother Wouldn't Recognize You feat. Cher 
12. (I Listen No Marketing) Voices feat. Career-Destroyer

Only available on CD (paper sleeve)