MADONNA AND WARNER MUSIC GROUP ANNOUNCE MILESTONE, CAREER-SPANNING PARTNERSHIP!!

Shoful

3 hours ago, momosfantasy said:

Funny how people that "all know" still seem to have a meltdown every day when there's not an announcement about every reissue plus it's corresponding tracklist.  We usually know when she's recording new music for a year+ ahead of time, but nobody runs around screaming about how the new album is a "failure" or a "disaster" or a "mess" or any of the other BS people have said about this campaign.  Why is this so different?  They announced special releases, and that's what we've gotten.  They announced a reissue for her 40th anniversary, which isn't for another 3 months, and is coming.  Just relax already.

39 minutes ago, momosfantasy said:

And in a year and a half, we've gotten a 6 LP box set and 4 singles.  What are you expecting exactly?  That she's gonna put out an album a month?  If so, you're in for a nasty surprise.  I have zero doubt that each one of these is going to come out with a hefty promotion, probably a couple of singles, and more of the special releases like the American Life Mixshow, and that they're going to space them out so they're not oversaturating the market.  It did say "multi-year" deal.

I really don't understand the attitude so many "fans" have regarding this whole process.  It's a REISSUE campaign, so yeah, most of the stuff, like probably 90-95%, is going to be stuff that we already have or have heard.  Yes, I absolutely expect demos/unreleased stuff, but they are going to use those to promote the big expensive box set reissues, not for some limited edition RSD release.  These vinyl releases are bonuses that are obviously meant for collectors and fans, they're not supposed to be the main focus of the 40th anniversary campaign, the one that started with FEL within a few months of the initial announcement and will continue a year later with the first album on, you know, it's 40th anniversary?

17 minutes ago, momosfantasy said:

Why do you think one affects the other?  WTG, Everybody and American Life are all RSD releases, which are seriously just meant to be a way of encouraging people to support independent record stores.  That's the point of Record Store Day.  The releases are generally just meant to be fan collectibles.

Your argument is like them saying something along the lines of "Hey, you know, a bunch of people already bought the True Blue album, so we don't need to release anymore singles or commission any remixes for it" after the release of Papa Don't Preach.  Just because we bought and enjoy these random releases doesn't mean that they're going to half-ass the campaign, or that those of us who DO like the limited releases don't expect top of the line content with these reissues.  

Believe it or not, once upon a time, there was no internet, and we had to wait 2-3 years between releases with only (Gasp! Shock! Horror!) reports from magazines and the occasional MTV tidbit to tell us that she was working on a new project.  We all managed to survive that time, her career managed to survive that time, and I imagine that most fans will survive this time too.  Maybe you should take a break from the internet for awhile and check back in June or July, when we're closer to the actual anniversary date.  I'm sure there will be news then.

real housewives of new york no GIF

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, momosfantasy said:

Happy to, as soon as you quit whining about how much of a "mess" the campaign is, and how everyone who isn't in a frenzy over your perceived "junk" releases are "sheep".

@momosfantasyyou're quoting stuff from almost a day ago and he has since said in this thread that he didn't want to discuss it anymore so let's move on respectfully 

2 hours ago, Honey Little said:

I would like the unreleased and unleaked things from I’m Breathless that she said in interviews was censored by Disney. 

Now that could be interesting!  Could that stuff have been the really early genesis of stuff like Justify my Love or Erotica?  Like maybe the sparks of an idea that grew into those songs?

8 hours ago, Honey Little said:

I would like the unreleased and unleaked things from I’m Breathless that she said in interviews was censored by Disney. 

I remember in the first issue of Encyclopedia Madonnica, Matt Rettenmund claimed she sang "it makes no difference if you are straight or gay" in some original version of Vogue. I wonder where he got that from and it never was mentionned ever again.

Madonnas main objective is to raise her streaming profile engage new fans and reengage old fans. 
If it takes a few tens of thousands of pounds in admin costs for Emily to get old demos signed off and added to streaming platforms then that’s what will be done. If M can make extra dollars by releasing physicals so old fans will add to the money pot then so be it. Some of it will no doubt be loss leaders for the next record but what good is it doing sitting in a vault at this point. Rob the store and leave Warner. 

The Celebration Tour is all about bowing its head to the algorithm and raising her  streaming profile so her next original material will do better in terms of sales and profile. 

We are currently in new territory again in the streaming world. Back catalogue is for the first time having its moment on streaming and is increasingly earning more revenue than a lot of new releases which is shite for new artists but legacy artists like Madonna stay winning. 
We may be seeing a shift in terms of monetary value that the artist gets. At the same time Guy O and M might be trying to increase her streaming revenue to its highest level so M can sell off her part of the rights to her back catalogue as many huge artists are now. 
The Warner Deal is likely part of that cash grab and she can use a company that knows and stores her back catalogue to push its presence in the market thus raising her stock. Who better? 

The fact that we get stuff in the meantime is sorta secondary gurls. 

Material Gworlll stays winning. 

19 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

I remember in the first issue of Encyclopedia Madonnica, Matt Rettenmund claimed she sang "it makes no difference if you are straight or gay" in some original version of Vogue. I wonder where he got that from and it never was mentionned ever again.

Yeah, I read that too in some magazines at the time. She was playing with the meaning of the words (straight: right, upright, honest, just, upstanding / hetero and gay: cheerful, glad, joyful, happy, jolly, merry (dated) / homosexual). Some said that they used the word "Gay" because it was used in the 30's (the year Dick Tracy was written) very often with the "happy" meaning.

It was said that Disney didn't want that line but... If it was going to be the "Keep it together" B-side don't know why Disney had something to say about it. And the album was released by Warner and the song was not included on the movie so I don't know if the Disney story is true. Maybe was Warner the one who didn't want that line on the song?

1 hour ago, scamper said:

Yeah, I read that too in some magazines at the time. She was playing with the meaning of the words (straight: right, upright, honest, just, upstanding / hetero and gay: cheerful, glad, joyful, happy, jolly, merry (dated) / homosexual). Some said that they used the word "Gay" because it was used in the 30's (the year Dick Tracy was written) very often with the "happy" meaning.

It was said that Disney didn't want that line but... If it was going to be the "Keep it together" B-side don't know why Disney had something to say about it. And the album was released by Warner and the song was not included on the movie so I don't know if the Disney story is true. Maybe was Warner the one who didn't want that line on the song?

The main Dick Tracy soundtrack was also released by Warner. And I’m Breathless while not the official soundtrack was still part of the film merchandising and even has the logo on it.

So it seems plausible that Disney had the power to interject with the contents of the songs as it was definitely linked to the film. But I also think it’s just as likely Warner made that call to avoid issues with radio play. It is also possible the whole thing is made up, as already pointed out there is no proof of it.

There was also the rumour that Hanky Panky lyrics were originally far raunchier and “Disney made her tone it down.”

If any of those things are true it’s interesting they were still happy for her to use BAT as a promo tool for the film featuring the Dick Tracy character gyrating in his underwear or getting a spanky.

3 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

The main Dick Tracy soundtrack was also released by Warner. And I’m Breathless while not the official soundtrack was still part of the film merchandising and even has the logo on it.

So it seems plausible that Disney had the power to interject with the contents of the songs as it was definitely linked to the film. But I also think it’s just as likely Warner made that call to avoid issues with radio play. It is also possible the whole thing is made up, as already pointed out there is no proof of it.

There was also the rumour that Hanky Panky lyrics were originally far raunchier and “Disney made her tone it down.”

If any of those things are true it’s interesting they were still happy for her to use BAT as a promo tool for the film featuring the Dick Tracy character gyrating in his underwear or getting a spanky.

But they were okay with "Dick? That's an interesting name! My bottom hurts just thinking about it"

1 hour ago, Kacper said:

Did she really say "sodomy"? Pretty disgusting way to describe gay things. 

I suspect she was being a bit facetious when making that comment.  Though to be fair, she stated "songs" on the "soundtrack"  which meant it could have been other songs having "sodomy" in the lyrics.  :)

5 hours ago, Kacper said:

Did she really say "sodomy"? Pretty disgusting way to describe gay things. 

"Sodomy" commonly refers to hetero or same-sex anal intercourse. Many hetero adult sites use that term—some gay adult sites as well. Nothing wrong w/ her use of it, and using the term "anal" would probably have irked some readers more. Sure, the term "sodomy" is often used in a religious context by fundies against homosexuality and anything LGBT (and sometimes other types of non-reproductive sex), but it's not the case here.

3 hours ago, Honey Little said:

I TRULY love sodomy! It’s just a fantastic way for my penis to feel very good!

Oh yeah! That very term ("sodomy") actually excites me. It does have a strong "forbidden fruit" appeal. For instance, some Muslim fundies use the term "the act of the people of Lot." That phrase arouses me too.

English synth-pop duo Pet Shop Boys decided to take the piss by naming one of their songs The Sodom and Gomorrah Show :

This is the concept of reappropriation. Just like women calling themselves "bitches," gays calling themselves "f***", Black rappers using the N-word in their songs, etc.

8 hours ago, tscott said:

I suspect she was being a bit facetious when making that comment.  Though to be fair, she stated "songs" on the "soundtrack"  which meant it could have been other songs having "sodomy" in the lyrics.  :)

Yeah even with that we still don’t know if the “gay or straight” lyric in Vogue being changed is true. Like I said there was a rumour about Hanky Panky being changed as well.

We could probably ask the Encyclopedia Madonnica author directly, he is on Instagram and people here know him I think.

4 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

Yeah even with that we still don’t know if the “gay or straight” lyric in Vogue being changed is true. Like I said there was a rumour about Hanky Panky being changed as well.

We could probably ask the Encyclopedia Madonnica author directly, he is on Instagram and people here know him I think.

That wouldn’t be complicated enough for us. 🤣

22 hours ago, deathproof said:

Interview Magazine 1990:

I had to change lyrics in the songs because the sound track is part of a Disney movie. I had to change things that had anything to do with sodomy, intercourse, or masturbation.

I can't imagine any other song besides Hanky Panky that would have had raunchy lyrics like that.