MADONNA AND WARNER MUSIC GROUP ANNOUNCE MILESTONE, CAREER-SPANNING PARTNERSHIP!!

Shoful

41 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but the video uses the original single version, and the original single version is not an edit of the album version. It's a different mix.

PS: Am I the only one who doesn't love TIC? (except for Justify My Love & Rescue Me). I like it but I hate the Q-Sound and the edits being too short.

Oh God.

I loved TIC when I got the cassette for Christmas in 1990, but I didn’t know about the original single versions back then so now I consider TIC a great remix album and make my own single collections.

I know the 7” single of Borderline says remixed by Jellybean, but I think he just edited it as I don’t hear any differences from the album version aside from being edited shorter and taking out the ‘you caused me so much pain’ etc line (an edited LP version).

Jellybeans remix has those added cowbells that I find dreadful and the single version/video version lacks those added cowbells.

I don’t hear anything not included in the album version on the single version ie remixed. But if there are differences aside from parts being removed for time, I’d love to have them pointed out to me as I’ve always thought the 7” Edit/Video Version was just the LP version edited shorter.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not that sure about all this "Borderline Album Version is s**t!" narrative and looks more like a follow to the old narrative and hype Jellybean built around himself with that album than the actual truth behind it?

Without the album version and Reggie Lucas production there wouldn't be any other version of the song, cause Jellybean just remixed it but he didn't add any extra production on it (much different to Shep Pettibone with "Express Yourself", for instance), just changed the drums, make some elements more obvious and gave it more punch. With the same video and a simple edit of the album version, the song would have been a hit too.

Yes, I love the U.S. Remix and the single version, but let's not pretend like they're miles away from the album version. It's just remixed for clubs and radio, like many other singles back then.

Plus we lost a whole verse in the single version, too.

5 hours ago, BuggedOut said:

I know the 7” single of Borderline says remixed by Jellybean, but I think he just edited it as I don’t hear any differences from the album version aside from being edited shorter and taking out the ‘you caused me so much pain’ etc line (an edited LP version).

Many single versions from 1983 to 1992 were remixes but very similar to the album versions (specially in Europe). A few fans can't even hear any differences. And Borderline is one of them. The single version (and the video version) is a remix, not an Album Edit (in the style of Like A Prayer, Open Your Heart, La Isla Bonita, Deeper and Deeper, True Blue, et cetera).

7 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but the video uses the original single version, and the original single version is not an edit of the album version. It's a different mix.

PS: Am I the only one who doesn't love TIC? (except for Justify My Love & Rescue Me). I like it but I hate the Q-Sound and the edits being too short.

I don’t like most of the remixes used on TIC - they sound like they were recorded in a toilet 🥹- I only ever listen to rescue me ( obvs) and live to tell which I think sounds more haunting with the extra ambience 

1 hour ago, wtg1987 said:

I don’t like most of the remixes used on TIC - they sound like they were recorded in a toilet 🥹- I only ever listen to rescue me ( obvs) and live to tell which I think sounds more haunting with the extra ambience 

I don't know why, but Q-sound makes my ears fatigued after 5 minutes. I'm not joking.

5 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

I don't know why, but Q-sound makes my ears fatigued after 5 minutes. I'm not joking.

I agree... I think it's surround effect, like too much going on at the same time, it can get tiring. It feels like there's a lot of "space" there, don't know how to explain it.

I also got it a lot checking the new Dolby Atmos mix but that can be from not listening with the proper equipment and/or settings. It sounded different with different medium (on YouTube, then the downloaded files, different headphones, etc.). Another reason to hate Dolby Atmos, like vinyl, the output is different under different circumstances! Hate that.

12 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Another reason to hate Dolby Atmos, like vinyl, the output is different under different circumstances! Hate that.

Dolby Atmos should sound the same in any "dolby atmos" decoder. But you can play these tracks in different ways (discrete 5.1 surround system, stereo system, et cetera) and that it's the reason why they sound different. It's like to see a 4K movie in a SD TV. 

6 hours ago, steady75 said:

There’s a very synthetic high hat runnnjng through the album version. The drums sound synthesised on it but they sound more like real drums in the remix to these ears. 

Not to mention that high hat is only on one channel which is very distracting. 
The album version literally sounds like an early demo of the song 

11 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

I love TIC, but I love the original (album version) songs as well :party:

..I remember back when TIC came out and some fans were wailing crying and yelling with snot coming out of their noses and foaming at the mouth  that she ruined all original songs of yore, lol I guess some things remain the same :laughing:

about the cramming of songs I agree it felt a little too crowded but people seemed happy to get so many songs on a CD otherwise  Warner/Sire would have given us a VERY expensive 2CD set and I feel it wouldn't have been as popular as the 1CD set  (granted the 1CD was expensive just the way it was already :cryin: )

1 hour ago, Ian said:

I love TIC, but I love the original (album version) songs as well :party:

..I remember back when TIC came out and some fans were wailing crying and yelling with snot coming out of their noses and foaming at the mouth  that she ruined all original songs of yore, lol I guess some things remain the same :laughing:

about the cramming of songs I agree it felt a little too crowded but people seemed happy to get so many songs on a CD otherwise  Warner/Sire would have given us a VERY expensive 2CD set and I feel it wouldn't have been as popular as the 1CD set  (granted the 1CD was expensive just the way it was already :cryin: )

Mom gave me the CD in the Christmas of 1990, and I was so pleasently surprised to hear the remixes.

I loved the added echoes and new sounds. Still do. :)

I don't like the change between versions, bc I like the album as a whole, it's like a painting. What we have in atmos now it's a version, not the real tic. But it's my impression, I am a little bit bohemian with albums, like untouchable. Maybe it's a problem with the masters, the ones of lucky star or borderline are missing, I don't know. Anyway, this tic 2023 version it's not my cup of tea. Mango kisses 4all

2 minutes ago, Sultrysully said:

????? You can only hear the high hat and it is so distracting.  

I don't want to ruin the whole album for everybody but it's on every track, it's more prominent on Borderline (and annoying) but it's also on Lucky Star, Physical Attraction, Think Of Me

in that same league you can add the rattle snake sound all over Incredible

48 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

I don't want to ruin the whole album for everybody but it's on every track, it's more prominent on Borderline (and annoying) but it's also on Lucky Star, Physical Attraction, Think Of Me

in that same league you can add the rattle snake sound all over Incredible

I love Incredible but don't hear enough people complaining about that rattle sound. :dead:

17 hours ago, BuggedOut said:

I don’t hear anything not included in the album version on the single version ie remixed. But if there are differences aside from parts being removed for time, I’d love to have them pointed out to me as I’ve always thought the 7” Edit/Video Version was just the LP version edited shorter.

Starting with the 7'' Remix:

- cowbell at 00:17 that will come up almost the whole time

- echo of the instruments at 00:27 + an extra drum sound on the background at 00:29

- there's a not-so-loud "tan tan tan tan tan..." sound after "fool of me" at 00:36 that will happen after each line of both the verses and the pre-chorus

- "mind (mind)" echo at 01:27, 01:42, 03:02 and 03:18

The video uses the single Edit:

- no cowbell, echoing of instruments or extra drum sound at the beggining or throughout the song

- the "tan tan tan tan tan..." sound here is way louder then on the 7'' Remix, but it only comes up at 00:49 for the first pre-chorus (at "playing with my heart") and then returns for the second verse and pre-chorus at 02:14

- no "mind (mind)" echo

Those are the main differences between each other and from the album version, aside from the obvious absense of the "keep on pushing me baby..." part after the chorus.

I personally love the album version of Borderline and couldn't care less about the high hat (though I admit it is distracting having it only on one side) but on a daily basis I tend to listen to the single Edit more. The 7'' Remix is just all over the place.

12 minutes ago, missberic said:

Starting with the 7'' Remix:

- cowbell at 00:17 that will come up almost the whole time

- echo of the instruments at 00:27 + an extra drum sound on the background at 00:29

- there's a not-so-loud "tan tan tan tan tan..." sound after "fool of me" at 00:36 that will happen after each line of both the verses and the pre-chorus

- "mind (mind)" echo at 01:27, 01:42, 03:02 and 03:18

The video uses the single Edit:

- no cowbell, echoing of instruments or extra drum sound at the beggining or throughout the song

- the "tan tan tan tan tan..." sound here is way louder then on the 7'' Remix, but it only comes up at 00:49 for the first pre-chorus (at "playing with my heart") and then returns for the second verse and pre-chorus at 02:14

- no "mind (mind)" echo

Those are the main differences between each other and from the album version, aside from the obvious absense of the "keep on pushing me baby..." part after the chorus.

I personally love the album version of Borderline and couldn't care less about the high hat (though I admit it is distracting having it only on one side) but on a daily basis I tend to listen to the single Edit more. The 7'' Remix is just all over the place.

Im wanting to know the differences between the 7” Version/Video Version and the Album Version. The Single Edit/Video Version/Real 7” Version sounds like a simple edit of the LP Version to me and it is my favorite.

That 7” video you posted above is pretty much the TIC version from Celebration. Not the real 7” version, but I do thank you for your explanations.

12 minutes ago, BuggedOut said:

Im wanting to know the differences between the 7” Version/Video Version and the Album Version. The Single Edit/Video Version/Real 7” Version sounds like a simple edit of the LP Version to me and it is my favorite.

That 7” video you posted above is pretty much the TIC version from Celebration. Not the real 7” version, but I do thank you for your explanations.

I don't get it, you're saying the "real" 7'' Remix is the version used for the music video? If so, then the differences between that and the album version are listed above as well. But if it's another one you are talking about and you can find it on Youtube or Spotify, please put the link here so we can compare! There is at least one other edit I know of, just don't remember what it's called.

19 minutes ago, missberic said:

I don't get it, you're saying the "real" 7'' Remix is the version used for the music video? If so, then the differences between that and the album version are listed above as well. But if it's another one you are talking about and you can find it on Youtube or Spotify, please put the link here so we can compare! There is at least one other edit I know of, just don't remember what it's called.

The version you call the 7” remix is the version released on celebration and was previously unreleased, very similar to the immaculate version but with some different reverbs and without the Q sound effect.

The video version is the 7” edit that was released on the 7” single in 1983.