MADONNA AND WARNER MUSIC GROUP ANNOUNCE MILESTONE, CAREER-SPANNING PARTNERSHIP!!

Shoful

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the best course of action is simplicity. 

madonna and warner should ignore all those fan demands and start with a simple set of studio album remastered era boxsets. the way to do it is to literally imitate these david bowie sets. forget, one album boxsets of endless demos and unreleased tracks (have a few of course), ignore remix eps, single collection remasters. just get the albums remastered in groupings, then a year after release use the new remasters for any future pressings

if you look at the bowie sets. seriously, they are concise. it's not an exercise in throwing crap demos and fantasy mythological unused tracks at the fans. we all want a 4cd erotica boxset, and 12 cd ray of light boxset, but it ain't gonna happen

https://www.davidbowie.com/blog/2020/9/27/david-bowie-era-five-box-set-update

19 minutes ago, mikeyaj said:

madonna and warner should ignore all those fan demands and start with a simple set of studio album remastered era boxsets. the way to do it is to literally imitate these david bowie sets. forget, one album boxsets of endless demos and unreleased tracks (have a few of course), ignore remix eps, single collection remasters. just get the albums remastered in groupings, then a year after release use the new remasters for any future pressings

if you look at the bowie sets. seriously, they are concise. it's not an exercise in throwing crap demos and fantasy mythological unused tracks at the fans. we all want a 4cd erotica boxset, and 12 cd ray of light boxset, but it ain't gonna happen

Thank god the same person who did the Bowie reissue are in charge of this project.. ?

9 minutes ago, Oscar said:

Thank god the same person who did the Bowie reissue are in charge of this project.. ?

they were great sets sound wise and each set had just the original albums, but also a small singles collection of the songs released from those albums in their "single mixed" form, a live album from the era and a random disc that was unreleased songs from one album or a remixed version of the album that was how they wanted it to sound and failed to achieve at the time or bowie wanted to make sound slightly different years later as he was unhappy.

it missed off loads of other bonus tracks from previous remasters but it didn't matter. the priority was simple remasters, that could then be released outside of the boxes as the best versions for any newer album pressings

you can't appease madonna fans now. she's left it too late to do 1 album boxsets of multiple discs and demos as the physical cd format that is financially accessible is over. the general public won't pay the price of those sets and many fans wouldn't either. each album would be 70 dollars and thats insane pricing so there is no point. download only is not acceptable either as the fans hate that

53 minutes ago, mikeyaj said:

I personally think the LAP, and TB anniversary editions (which do leave a lot to be desired) are just the record company doing market research. The singles are already being rolled out to streaming services, as well as the promotion of HD upgrades of the videos on her YouTube site. 
I agree that there’s a huge amount of mythology surrounding Madonna’s unused songs, but we have also had many songs confirmed that were talked about for years and years when all the leaks started happening. 
For me, there’s an excitement for having actual “Madonna approved” releases, even if it had been leaked before. The press announcement, especially from Guy Oseary about listening to the fans, makes me hope that Madonna and her team will also take the care and consideration to make these truly worth the deluxe edition prices, and make it worthwhile to the fans. Slinging remixes onto the the end of an album isn’t really a worthy use of a huge press release, and there are many other lesser artists (sorry Prince and Depeche Mode!!) that have had amazing deluxe reissues, frankly without the importance. IMO. 
I wouldn’t doubt the amount of red tape involved in a deal of this kind. Pat Leonard already sold the rights to his portion of the recordings. And he suddenly halted the release of his own new interpretations of his songs with Madonna. We know Nile Rodgers will get royalties from both “Madonna” and “Like A Virgin”, per his contract to produce LAV, so I’m sure this wasn’t an easy deal to seal. Which is why LDLHA was cut from the RHT release. As well as LS from the medley. It’s the art and commerce  dilemma. 
I'm most likely wrong, but artists like Madonna, Prince, MJ, David Bowie, etc. etc are why publishing right are so valuable. It’s collateral for the holder of the copyrights, and especially in MJ’s case, why he was able to float his finances for years without actually recording new material, because he owned everyone else song rights! Or Beyoncé requiring songwriting and publishing credit for songs she didn’t write. 
The business is complicated, and I’m grateful that Madonna continued to be an artist and create music and live productions rather than retreat for years like MJ or Kate Bush, or Prince for that matter. Madonna has remained relevant because she is. 

Additionally, we have no idea what terms her contract with LN or Interscope were beyond the public record. It’s quite possible she wasn’t “allowed” to damage their brands because it would also damage her own. 
She’s wishing death to the patriarchy for a reason. 

Okay, so we’re in an era where Madonna looks back, I don’t know if that’s a good omen for the future. :Madonna047:

Even if, like everyone here I am rather happy that her catalogue is reviewed and put back on the front of the stage, I don't forget that for almost 30 years, Warner Bros didn't really put out extraordinary records in his career. I mean, okay, we had picture-discs in the '80s, special edition albums with different packaging in the 90's , colorful records in the '2000s...

In times when other artists had crazy editions like fluorescent records, with holograms, records with bonus and special versions, vinyl cut in improbable shapes, Double-Groove and I don’t know yet.

I hope that Warner has changed and that their ambitions will not stop at making unpublished records in vinyl or coloured editions.

I honestly think that Madonna will just remix her old albums and include some unreleased ones.
WHILE WE ALL WANT SICK BOXES!!!

:Madonna018:

6 minutes ago, RebelHeartbreak said:

I personally think the LAP, and TB anniversary editions (which do leave a lot to be desired) are just the record company doing market research. The singles are already being rolled out to streaming services, as well as the promotion of HD upgrades of the videos on her YouTube site. 
I agree that there’s a huge amount of mythology surrounding Madonna’s unused songs, but we have also had many songs confirmed that were talked about for years and years when all the leaks started happening. 
For me, there’s an excitement for having actual “Madonna approved” releases, even if it had been leaked before. The press announcement, especially from Guy Oseary about listening to the fans, makes me hope that Madonna and her team will also take the care and consideration to make these truly worth the deluxe edition prices, and make it worthwhile to the fans. Slinging remixes onto the the end of an album isn’t really a worthy of a huge press release, and there are many other lesser artists (sorry Prince and Depeche Mode!!) that have had amazing deluxe reissues, frankly without the importance. IMO. 
I wouldn’t doubt the amount of red tape involved in a deal of this kind. Pat Leonard already sold the rights to his portion of the recordings. And he suddenly halted the release of his own new interpretations of his songs with Madonna. We know Nile Rodgers will get royalties from both “Madonna” and “Like A Virgin”, per his contract to produce LAV, so I’m sure this wasn’t an easy deal to seal. Which is why LDLHA was cut from the RHT release. As well as LS from the medley. It’s the art and commerce  dilemma. 
I'm most likely wrong, but artists like Madonna, Prince, MJ, David Bowie, etc. etc are why publishing right are so valuable. It’s collateral for the holder of the copyrights, and especially in MJ’s case, why he was able to float his finances for years without actually recording new material, because he owned everyone else song rights! Or Beyoncé requiring songwriting and publishing credit for songs she didn’t write. 
The business is complicated, and I’m grateful that Madonna continued to be an artist and create music and live productions rather than retreat for years like MJ or Kate Bush, or Prince for that matter. Madonna has remained relevant because she is. 

whatever happens, the fanbase are going to be unhappy.

you're spot on about market research. they are testing the waters.

they also know the reality. her 80's albums sound dreadful on many editions. considering their age, somebody needs to get the masters and make sure they have not degraded and protect from future degradation. the albums can't just be pressed to cd and thrown on streaming with a simple volume increase anymore.

the printing on my like a prayer which was released in the 90's is dreadful. madonna and warner took no care in their releases. it needs fixing now as we don't know how long cds will be around and vinyl is still only niche. it's now or never. last chance saloon

I don't want a box set. 

I want good quality remasters and a few extra unreleased tracks from the sessions or demos. Considering how unlucky we've been so far it's gonna be a big improvment (it's strange Madonna never tried to sale her back catalogue over and over again with special editions and formats like Bjork did for example when she's considered to be THE material girl)

19 minutes ago, mikeyaj said:

they were great sets sound wise and each set had just the original albums, but also a small singles collection of the songs released from those albums in their "single mixed" form, a live album from the era and a random disc that was unreleased songs from one album or a remixed version of the album that was how they wanted it to sound and failed to achieve at the time or bowie wanted to make sound slightly different years later as he was unhappy.

it missed off loads of other bonus tracks from previous remasters but it didn't matter. the priority was simple remasters, that could then be released outside of the boxes as the best versions for any newer album pressings

Thanks for the info ... I was just looking for more info on the Bowie and Led Zeppelin releases ... because it's the same person who's going to be in charge ...

2 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

I don't want a box set. 

I want good quality remasters and a few extra unreleased tracks from the sessions or demos. Considering how unlucky we've been so far it's gonna be a big improvment (it's strange Madonna never tried to sale her back catalogue over and over again with special editions and formats like Bjork did for example when she's considered to be THE material girl)

i think you'll be disapointed them. the guy behind bowie's sets is involved. it's a dead cert were are not going to get expensive one album sets. it makes no financial sense when the money this is going to cost the record company considering how many albums there are. it will most likely be small sets of 3 studio albums, clumped in eras.

i think we may get expanded the immaculate collection and ghv2 and ghv3 in a huge radio edit, single remix, exhaustive best of. and i also think they'll have good intentions with it but will miss off a few songs, forget to use open your heart 7" remix (never released on cd or download) and will make some huge error by doing fake recreations like celebration

4 minutes ago, Matty said:

I've just seen the prices for Bowie boxsets :scary: 

they had no choice.

on release they were between £80.00 to £120.00 in the uk.

they dropped in price briefly but now are rare. you can get all the studio albums in the set seperatly now though

and in some cases the master tapes were so badly damaged the cost was huge. they were bowie's last attempt to clean is catalogue after years of bad releases, bad remasters and ownership issues

6 minutes ago, mikeyaj said:

i think we may get expanded the immaculate collection and ghv2 and ghv3 in a huge radio edit, single remix, exhaustive best of. and i also think they'll have good intentions with it but will miss off a few songs, forget to use open your heart 7" remix (never released on cd or download) and will make some huge error by doing fake recreations like celebration

Yeah.. I remember they asked last year which song should be including ,same for something to remember.. 

Just now, Oscar said:

Yeah.. I remember they asked last year which song should be including ,same for something to remember.. 

compilations are a dangerous game for madonna as you don't want to take sales away from the immaculate collection. that album sells at bargin bin prices and is forever being bought from sales racks and download sites. why ruin a money spinner

I wouldn't expect every irrelevant demo or alternate vocal to be released but I think that, in archival reissues like the ones they seem to be advertising in the press release, some studio outtakes from the album sessions are mandatory to make them interesting, to explain the history behind each record. It is more special, more artistically relevant and it makes more sense to have her version of 'Each Time You Break My Heart' as a bonus on "True Blue" than a weak extended remix of 'La isla Bonita'; 'Angels with Dirty Faces' as a bonus on "Like a Prayer" than an extended "Cherish"; Steve Bray's produced versions of 'Angel' and 'Over and Over' as bonuses on "Like a Virgin"; 'Shame' on "Erotica", etcetera.

2 minutes ago, desperateK said:

I wouldn't expect every irrelevant demo or alternate vocal to be released but I think that, in archival reissues like the ones they seem to be advertising in the press release, some studio outtakes from the album sessions are mandatory to make them interesting, to explain the history behind each record. It is more special, more artistically relevant and it makes more sense to have her version of 'Each Time You Break My Heart' as a bonus on "True Blue" than a weak extended remix of 'La isla Bonita'; 'Angels with Dirty Faces' as a bonus on "Like a Prayer" than an extended "Cherish"; Steve Bray's produced versions of 'Angel' and 'Over and Over' as bonuses on "Like a Virgin"; 'Shame' on "Erotica", etcetera.

why release "each time" when you can not add it and still sell the product. thats the problem. whos buying the sets? not the public. it's the fans. we'll buy what they tell us to buy

I feel like depending on the album, there is a lot of potential... for example, with True Blue there could be...

Full Album 2022 Remaster

Extended versions of all singles.

Each Time You Break My Heart

Open Your Heart (Live from BAT any show)
La Isla Bonita (Live from 2022 Acoustic)
True Blue (Live from WTG Tour any show)
Live To Tell (Live from Confessions Tour any show)
Papa Don't Preach (Live 2022 Acoustic Version)

Bonus: Who's That Girl live from RHT (2015)

Instrumentals of select songs.

And suddenly you have an album I'd pay £50 for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, Material Girl said:

Okay, so we’re in an era where Madonna looks back, I don’t know if that’s a good omen for the future. :Madonna047:

Even if, like everyone here I am rather happy that her catalogue is reviewed and put back on the front of the stage, I don't forget that for almost 30 years, Warner Bros didn't really put out extraordinary records in his career. I mean, okay, we had picture-discs in the '80s, special edition albums with different packaging in the 90's , colorful records in the '2000s...

In times when other artists had crazy editions like fluorescent records, with holograms, records with bonus and special versions, vinyl cut in improbable shapes, Double-Groove and I don’t know yet.

I hope that Warner has changed and that their ambitions will not stop at making unpublished records in vinyl or coloured editions.

I honestly think that Madonna will just remix her old albums and include some unreleased ones.
WHILE WE ALL WANT SICK BOXES!!!

:Madonna018:

Of course we want box sets. But WB did a huge amount of promotional effort for Madonna through her career. She wouldn’t have mentioned it in the press release otherwise. 
all the different mixes, single, and album covers for each individual markets would not have happened unless the record company was promoting their own artists’ success and artistic vision. 
Hell, she even made Maverick into an ACTUAL record company that was profitable and had high quality artists. 

I know we’re all here to celebrate her, but to me this announcement sounds like she’s cut off the shackles of corporate control, and she can proceed with her own artistry as she wants. If done correctly, which I’ve no doubt she will, this is a revolutionary move to continue a long and important career without having to release re-recorded versions of her previous albums, or create feuds with other artists or previous collaborators, or go to the lengths of withholding her work  from fans by holding music delivery services (digital or physical) hostage. 

2 minutes ago, mikeyaj said:

why release "each time" when you can not add it and still sell the product. thats the problem. whos buying the sets? not the public. it's the fans. we'll buy what they tell us to buy

mmmm... i don't know about the rest but i'm not that fan/buyer :-) i'd expect rigour and not lack of interest/lazyness from everyone involved in a campaign like this, but maybe that's just me and they really want to cash in with minimum effort. i guess we'll have to wait and see.