MADONNA AND WARNER MUSIC GROUP ANNOUNCE MILESTONE, CAREER-SPANNING PARTNERSHIP!!

Shoful

I would be happy with an official dvd of the who’s that girl tour Tokyo gig so I can retire my laserdisc -or maybe Warner’s has the holy grail Florence show somewhere - now that would be an awesome surprise

Tokyo is definitely the best sound wise, she sounds like Elvis on the later shows including the official dvd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, steady75 said:

I do think they’ll do all her studio albums at least. 
So I’m Breathless, Who’s That Girl, You Can Dance, STR, Evita, GHV2, R&R and the live albums won’t be touched. I can’t see MDNA Through Rebel Heart getting a treatment either. 

Immaculate will be really pushed as the jewel in her crown. 

Immaculate is definitely one I'm curious about. Will they leave it untouched you think, or bump it up with the missing tracks that had already been probably mixed for the release for a proper second disc and not just an EP? Notably, Gambler. Wonder if it had the Shep Pettibone treatment like with Into The Groove...even Everybody and Dress You Up.

12 hours ago, Fabiolous said:

I don't mean to go off topic, but... What are you talking about? Lol she's a musician. She writes music on her guitar before going to the studio. 

At 4:41 i this video she says "I'm not a musician": 

My point is that she's not a music enthusiast. We all know that she considers herself a dancer first and a singer second. Unlike the likes of Bowie, Prince, etc. who all came to music industry via their love of music and had been playing instruments since childhood. 

13 minutes ago, clkelley39 said:

Sorry I meant the unmixed version of You Can Dance. 

But when was the Open Your Heart remix released digitally? I'm referring to the 7" mix, that is. 

Well... The YCD edits were only available on promos, and the 7" vesion of Open Your Heart has never been released digitally. Not even a promo.

3 hours ago, scion said:

No chance of a Who's That Girl bluray... the footage is all from a video tape source, there's literally no way of it being made HD, besides a digital upscale that would be subpar at best as it'd still look worse than her modern DVDs.

Not that I expect her old concerts to be released again, but Ciao, Italia! could still be improved by a Blu-ray. Far higher bitrates mean what is there in the standard definition picture can be better rendered. They could also include an uncompressed 5.1 track as secondary to the PCM stereo, if they still have access to the original audio. And they could put multiple SD concerts on a single 50 GB Blu-ray. 

49 minutes ago, Warm Gun said:

Not that I expect her old concerts to be released again, but Ciao, Italia! could still be improved by a Blu-ray. Far higher bitrates mean what is there in the standard definition picture can be better rendered. They could also include an uncompressed 5.1 track as secondary to the PCM stereo, if they still have access to the original audio. And they could put multiple SD concerts on a single 50 GB Blu-ray. 

I’m not familiar with this, but can’t they transfer a betacam source in progressive HD and retain much more detail and clarity?

And the original video would have much more information in the highlights and shadows that can be restored…

The issue is there are certain standards and criteria that have to be met to be able to produce and sell a licensed bluray disc, as far as I'm led to believe. The main feature has to be at a minimum basic HD (720p), so an upscale would have to happen in some form. Using a 480p or 576i footage and burning it to the Bluray would not allow the footage to be released on the format - unless it was a secondary feature on a different disc.

1 hour ago, clkelley39 said:

Sorry I meant the unmixed version of You Can Dance. 

But when was the Open Your Heart remix released digitally? I'm referring to the 7" mix, that is. 

Oh yeah. That makes sense. 
They should retransfer the whole album from the original tapes and fix the multiple mastering glitches. And include a second disc with all the unmixed versions and dubs.

As for the OYH remix edit I don’t think it will ever be released.

9 minutes ago, scion said:

The issue is there are certain standards and criteria that have to be met to be able to produce and sell a licensed bluray disc, as far as I'm led to believe. The main feature has to be at a minimum basic HD (720p), so an upscale would have to happen in some form. Using a 480p or 576i footage and burning it to the Bluray would not allow the footage to be released on the format - unless it was a secondary feature on a different disc.

I don't think this requirement is a thing. I'd be happy to be proven wrong. Univeral/Polydor released Mylene Farmer en concert on Blu-ray at a resolution of 720x576. With an extremely high bitrate (for SD).

Honestly, it's the better way to do it. I have a few SD concerts that are upscaled to 1080p/i, at no benefit to the picture. Just display it in the max resolution. That way you don't waste the bitrate.

3 hours ago, PatrickSamuel said:

Immaculate is definitely one I'm curious about. Will they leave it untouched you think, or bump it up with the missing tracks that had already been probably mixed for the release for a proper second disc and not just an EP? Notably, Gambler. Wonder if it had the Shep Pettibone treatment like with Into The Groove...even Everybody and Dress You Up.

I don't think "Gambler" or "Everybody" would have been even considered for "The Immaculate Collection". "Everybody" was not a hit and while "Gambler" did do fairly well in the territories that it was released in, it's not really a song that anyone knows. I think the only songs that could have / should have been considered for the album that weren't used were "Angel", "Dress You Up", "True Blue", "Who's That Girl" and "Causing A Commotion"

I don't think this requirement is a thing. I'd be happy to be proven wrong. Univeral/Polydor released Mylene Farmer en concert on Blu-ray at a resolution of 720x576. With an extremely high bitrate (for SD).
Honestly, it's the better way to do it. I have a few SD concerts that are upscaled to 1080p/i, at no benefit to the picture. Just display it in the max resolution. That way you don't waste the bitrate.

I've just looked up this release.

It's very unfortunate that this happened, because the original concept was shot on 16mm film and then downgraded as a final master once compiled to a more easily useable digital format in SD, which is where the final edit of the concert lies, hence there's no HD master.

Rules on bluray may have changed but I remember a big stink years ago when 28 days later was released on bluray because part of it was filmed on an SD handheld digital camera resulting in a hideous image.

12 minutes ago, scion said:

I've just looked up this release.

It's very unfortunate that this happened, because the original concept was shot on 16mm film and then downgraded as a final master once compiled to a more easily useable digital format in SD, which is where the final edit of the concert lies, hence there's no HD master.

Rules on bluray may have changed but I remember a big stink years ago when 28 days later was released on bluray because part of it was filmed on an SD handheld digital camera resulting in a hideous image.

Yup, I'm aware of that about the concert. Just like with so many music videos of the day that will forever be in SD, it's a shame they didn't edit on film.

Those 28 Days Later complainers were pretty stupid then. Personally, I don't even like the artistic choice of making the movie look like that, intentionally ugly. As if being in an apocalypse means you get garbage vision or something. But why would I expect it to look high def all of a sudden on Blu-ray?

3wr7ccg.png

I don't know what the resolution of the cameras for the movie were, but it had to come to Blu-ray anyway, for the ending that was shot on film, and the uncompressed surround sound.

17 hours ago, Enrico said:

I think it's difficult to get aborted projects, yet there is a chance that:

1 the Bedtime Stories demos surface, so we see the transition from Shep to r'n'b

2 I'd love to know more about the Hello Suckers demos. Apparently there is a ballad called When I'm Gone that is beautiful.

Ive never heard of 'when im gone' apart from the babyface track for B.S.  Thanks for that id love to hear it the Hello Suckers songs were amazing!!!  When that got cancelled she recorded other songs for the new musical movie with Luc Besson which Ive never heard. Does anybody have any info on those??? I know they didnt agree about his screenplay and it wasnt made. 

52 minutes ago, Warm Gun said:

The Farmer bluray was a crappy release. The only good thing was that you have access to a higher bitrate from the original SD source. It was only release in laseredisc and VHS at the time.

Don't expect record company to invest in re-editing concert from the master tapes. Usually they are lost.

Sony did it with Elvis Aloha from Hawaii. And Queen live in Montreal was re-edit from the original footage.

When you use Machine Learning, you really have to mix results and use different algorithm/shots (large, close, mid). Most of the use of it I see on this forum is lazy and of course looks like crap. You have to stay under a certain level of transformation.

In this release, it really brings something more crispy without adding too much artefacts. But is is of course never perfect.

I am convince they will never release Machine Learning enhanced concerts or music videos on bluray. They will maybe upload footage to Youtube.

4 minutes ago, InterlacedGeek said:

When you use Machine Learning, you really have to mix results and use different algorithm/shots (large, close, mid). Most of the use of it I see on this forum is lazy and of course looks like crap. You have to stay under a certain level of transformation.

I am convince they will never release Machine Learning enhanced concerts or music videos on bluray. They will maybe upload footage to Youtube.

That’s true but it’s not worth doing that kind of work when you have a compressed source. If we have an uncompressed SD master then it’s worth exporting several versions and compile them together.

Also AI uoscaling has evolved tremendously in just one year so probably they’ll get pretty fast to a point where the results can be satisfactory.

3 minutes ago, InterlacedGeek said:

Don't expect record company to invest in re-editing concert from the master tapes. Usually they are lost.

I have to agree..  I remember the INXS producer saying that it took them almost a decade to find the original master and another year to remastered..  I don't see them doing something like this  ?

The Rolling Stones has released several SD Blu-rays (480i/576i cassette tape recordings upscaled to 1080i) in recent years. They all look very decent.

Tina also released her 2000 Wembley concert (also a cassette tape recording) on SD Blu-ray back in 2013.

Edited by Josh Wang (see edit history)

3 hours ago, clkelley39 said:

At 4:41 i this video she says "I'm not a musician": 

My point is that she's not a music enthusiast. We all know that she considers herself a dancer first and a singer second. Unlike the likes of Bowie, Prince, etc. who all came to music industry via their love of music and had been playing instruments since childhood. 

You don’t have to play instruments since childhood to love music. 
If you are a dancer you have love for music, because you don’t dance to silence. 

27 minutes ago, scion said:

True but that doesn't make you a musician.
I love music and cinema, but I'm neither musician nor a director.

Yea but after being in the studio for 40 years and writing a considerable amount of songs and everything else she’s done you certainly are a Musician and have a fine tuned ear.

But then again, we’re talking about a woman that plays records on a $50 turntable from Urban Outfitters ?

Yea but after being in the studio for 40 years and writing a considerable amount of songs and everything else she’s done you certainly are a Musician and have a fine tuned ear.
But then again, we’re talking about a woman that plays records on a $50 turntable from Urban Outfitters

Oh I'm not doubting Madonna is a musician I'm just arguing that theory of what constitutes one

6 hours ago, InterlacedGeek said:

The Farmer bluray was a crappy release. The only good thing was that you have access to a higher bitrate from the original SD source. It was only release in laseredisc and VHS at the time.

Sony did it with Elvis Aloha from Hawaii. And Queen live in Montreal was re-edit from the original footage.

In this release, it really brings something more crispy without adding too much artefacts. But is is of course never perfect.

The Farmer Blu-ray was fine to me because I knew the situation. They wouldn't have been able to fit the uncompressed 5.1 (which I found very good, actually) and the PCM stereo on a DVD and still have a decent video bitrate. The bitrate obviously would have been much smaller anyway, to the point of the low res detail that is there being rendered even worse.

Again, I don't like AI upscaling. It ALWAYS makes live footage look worse, in my opinion, including the fake grain above. I see that you also elevated the colors, but that can be done with one's display. 876089875_MyleneFarmerenconcert1989Universal-PolydorBD.mkv_snapshot_00_44_26_738.thumb.jpg.c0b7ab446643c29b992afd7bd32070fb.jpg

258310354_mylenefarmerAI.thumb.jpg.553889fcc16d170405d03fc6e5ea54c0.jpg

The main issue I have with it is that I'm not seeing more detail. I am always seeing less. Look at that round object in the background. In the AI interpretation, the outline is more faded and the text is even less legible. There is also another, fainter object above that, one third of the way down the left of the top picture, that is essentially gone in the AI version. Parts of the microphones or whatever they are have disappeared as well. The program also couldn't make sense of her eyes. They look stranger. Actually, her whole face looks overly sharpened.

709027690_mylenefarmerAIwithmarks.thumb.jpg.2e245cc2bb52c18c799b6339eab12050.jpg

Before someone says it again, no, I am not being mean. He expressed his opinion about this "crappy" Blu-ray and what should be done with SD footage and I gave my honest answer.