MADONNA AND WARNER MUSIC GROUP ANNOUNCE MILESTONE, CAREER-SPANNING PARTNERSHIP!!

Shoful

6 hours ago, Josh Wang said:

Tina also released her 2000 Wembley concert (also a cassette tape recording) on SD Blu-ray back in 2013.

I watched Tina's One Last Time in Concert. Honestly, I would have preferred it in the native SD resolution. The 1080p upscaling did absolutely nothing for it.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, scallywally said:

Ive never heard of 'when im gone' apart from the babyface track for B.S.  Thanks for that id love to hear it the Hello Suckers songs were amazing!!!  When that got cancelled she recorded other songs for the new musical movie with Luc Besson which Ive never heard. Does anybody have any info on those??? I know they didnt agree about his screenplay and it wasnt made. 

I was told by a person who is friends with Pat Leonard and got the chance to listen to the full set. He said her voice is crystal in these songs. The title is different from 1997 I'll be gone, who knows.

1 hour ago, Warm Gun said:

The Farmer Blu-ray was fine to me because I knew the situation. They wouldn't have been able to fit the uncompressed 5.1 (which I found very good, actually) and the PCM stereo on a DVD and still have a decent video bitrate. The bitrate obviously would have been much smaller anyway, to the point of the low res detail that is there being rendered even worse.

Again, I don't like AI upscaling. It ALWAYS makes live footage look worse, in my opinion, including the fake grain above. I see that you also elevated the colors, but that can be done with one's display. 876089875_MyleneFarmerenconcert1989Universal-PolydorBD.mkv_snapshot_00_44_26_738.thumb.jpg.c0b7ab446643c29b992afd7bd32070fb.jpg

258310354_mylenefarmerAI.thumb.jpg.553889fcc16d170405d03fc6e5ea54c0.jpg

The main issue I have with it is that I'm not seeing more detail. I am always seeing less. Look at that round object in the background. In the AI interpretation, the outline is more faded and the text is even less legible. There is also another, fainter object above that, one third of the way down the left of the top picture, that is essentially gone in the AI version. Parts of the microphones or whatever they are have disappeared as well. The program also couldn't make sense of her eyes. They look stranger. Actually, her whole face looks overly sharpened.

709027690_mylenefarmerAIwithmarks.thumb.jpg.2e245cc2bb52c18c799b6339eab12050.jpg

Before someone says it again, no, I am not being mean. He expressed his opinion about this "crappy" Blu-ray and what should be done with SD footage and I gave my honest answer.

That's just a really bad upscale you are using as an example, there's people here that are amazingly talented at upscaling.

2 hours ago, Warm Gun said:

The Farmer Blu-ray was fine to me because I knew the situation. They wouldn't have been able to fit the uncompressed 5.1 (which I found very good, actually) and the PCM stereo on a DVD and still have a decent video bitrate. The bitrate obviously would have been much smaller anyway, to the point of the low res detail that is there being rendered even worse.

Again, I don't like AI upscaling. It ALWAYS makes live footage look worse, in my opinion, including the fake grain above. I see that you also elevated the colors, but that can be done with one's display. 876089875_MyleneFarmerenconcert1989Universal-PolydorBD.mkv_snapshot_00_44_26_738.thumb.jpg.c0b7ab446643c29b992afd7bd32070fb.jpg

The main issue I have with it is that I'm not seeing more detail. I am always seeing less. Look at that round object in the background. In the AI interpretation, the outline is more faded and the text is even less legible. There is also another, fainter object above that, one third of the way down the left of the top picture, that is essentially gone in the AI version. Parts of the microphones or whatever they are have disappeared as well. The program also couldn't make sense of her eyes. They look stranger. Actually, her whole face looks overly sharpened.

709027690_mylenefarmerAIwithmarks.thumb.jpg.2e245cc2bb52c18c799b6339eab12050.jpg

Before someone says it again, no, I am not being mean. He expressed his opinion about this "crappy" Blu-ray and what should be done with SD footage and I gave my honest answer.

Brighter colors and sharper outlines is still better than seeing some faded objects in the background. Priorities, people! The bottom image looks better to me than the top one. 

On 8/18/2021 at 9:49 AM, Prayer said:

Please. "Madonna", "Like A Virgin" and "True Blue" on their iTunes/Apple Music and Spotify editions are awful.

"Madonna": 2001 remastered versions combined the original masters and 12'' mixes and edits. Massive volume changes between tracks. Wrong versions: "Borderline" is the 12'' Extended Version, not the Album Version, "Holiday" is an edit of the Q-Sound mix, not the Album Version. "Everybody" is the Extended Version but that was changed on the 2001 reissue.

"Like A Virgin": "Dress You Up" on Spotify was the Extended version until recently. On iTunes, the volume is very, very low on this album.

"True Blue": it was the 2001 remaster until recently, when the 35th edition was released all the 11 tracks on the regular album were updated from that one too.

Warner has Hi-Res versions of those three albums (and "Who's That Girl"), which means they could easily have Apple Digital Masters on iTunes and Apple Music if they wanted to:

https://www.qobuz.com/es-es/album/madonna-hi-res-version-madonna/0093624951179

https://www.qobuz.com/es-es/album/like-a-virgin-hi-res-version-madonna/0093624951117

https://www.qobuz.com/es-es/album/true-blue-hi-res-version-madonna/0093624951124

At least the correct albums as they were released would be nice. Even "Like A Prayer" has a glitch at the start of "Pray For Spanish Eyes".

I remember reading that a newly remaster was done back in 2019 with a scan and re-recording of the old tapes, that's why got the new Hi-Res 192 khz files on Qobuz and Tidal, plus the Crystal Clear vinyl of the first three albums + WTG OST.

On 8/18/2021 at 3:20 PM, Brendanlovesu1 said:

If a small rock band like Garbage can remaster and re-release their 3rd studio album, originally released in 2001 with b sides, demos and remixes (including both commercially released and rare ones that collectors don't even know about) like they've done for their previous two albums (the 1995 debut and 1998's follow up Version 2.0), there's no reason M can't do something similar 

https://music.apple.com/us/album/beautifulgarbage-20th-anniversary-deluxe/1580427316

I think this happens because the record label has the mentality of: "If this sells very well already with a regular edition tracklist/edition, why bother?" - Smaller bands/labels release shitload of box sets, remixes, editions because they need the cash flow... Madonna selling a standard lazy 10-track "Music" album, already does millions.

11 hours ago, brank000 said:

I don't think "Gambler" or "Everybody" would have been even considered for "The Immaculate Collection". "Everybody" was not a hit and while "Gambler" did do fairly well in the territories that it was released in, it's not really a song that anyone knows. I think the only songs that could have / should have been considered for the album that weren't used were "Angel", "Dress You Up", "True Blue", "Who's That Girl" and "Causing A Commotion"

That's why they released "The Holiday Collection" after, as a companion EP of The Immaculate Collection.

8 hours ago, thegoldencalf said:

Yea but after being in the studio for 40 years and writing a considerable amount of songs and everything else she’s done you certainly are a Musician and have a fine tuned ear.

But then again, we’re talking about a woman that plays records on a $50 turntable from Urban Outfitters ?

Of course she's a musician, but above that, she's a business woman first who just happens to be an artist and have passion for music. She will NEVER do anything beyond or extra for the sake of love for the music, if it's not making her money or supposes a future interest. Whereas Bowie or Prince I think breathed music and just sat in their houses to play instruments for free on an afternoon.

2 hours ago, Warm Gun said:

InterlacedGreek says most of the upscales on this forum are crappy. realityisalways says InterlacedGreek's work is really bad. I say everybody's work is crap. Lol, friendly company we all are. :smile:

It's because everybody has a different notion of "what should an upscale be". Interlaced did an amazing job upscaling but he loved to keep all the grain, vhs tape noise and other vintage artifacts faithful to the original tapes. Nasty and other guys did the opposite, they did almost a CGI plastic version of her videos, which pleased many people (myself included in some cases). Personally, I'd be in the middle considering that they should remove all the noise and do a great digital restoration of the image to make it as clean and sharp as possible, but without making her look like a Final Fantasy character, lmao.

8 hours ago, Warm Gun said:

As I said before, it is still experimental and that is the reason (as I said above), they will never release that kind of transformed/tweeked material on an official physical release.

But it's worth trying for experimental reasons. You can't make fire without using wood.

6 hours ago, anton5000 said:

I remember reading that a newly remaster was done back in 2019 with a scan and re-recording of the old tapes, that's why got the new Hi-Res 192 khz files on Qobuz and Tidal, plus the Crystal Clear vinyl of the first three albums + WTG OST.

No, the Hi-Res Qobuz albums ("Madonna", "Like A Virgin", "True Blue" and "Who's That Girl") are from 2012. They were released on all HD digital stores back then.

That’s what I think of all the fans on here upscaling M work but no one seems to mind it

To be fair some upscales on here do look significantly better, such as RIT, DWT and the incredible 60fps Confessions. But some of the work looks absolutely crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope Madonna will release all her 80s and 90s tours in DVD or Bluray without cutting any songs. 

Unlike what other artists did for example: Depeche Mode released their 101 in 2 DVD version but they don't really include the whole Music For The Masses Tour concert in Pasadena of 1988 in DVD2, like you know the DVD2 is just a Bonus DVD on the release, it's just only a selected performance and some of them are cut. Other example is Devotional DVD, they just make "Policy of Truth" as a bonus track instead of rearranging the setlist of the concert video properly being next to "Higher Love" and make it full.

Hoping that The Virgin Tour release will all have the songs uncut (I mean includes Borderline and Burning Up) and not just making these two as bonus tracks in the end of the concert video. Some labels from other artist did that too.

35 minutes ago, wtg1987 said:

That’s what I think of all the fans on here upscaling M work but no one seems to mind it ?

I just wish they always made the original available in the same post. I feel like an idiot asking if they have it as well, because I never get an answer. There is still Madonna stuff I haven't watched or archived.

8 hours ago, anton5000 said:

The crystal clear vinyl pressings used previous masters if I'm not mistaken (same masters as the 2012 re-presses). 

2 hours ago, scion said:

To be fair some upscales on here do look significantly better, such as RIT, DWT and the incredible 60fps Confessions. But some of the work looks absolutely crap.

Sorry they don’t - you can’t upscale a dvd or vhs file to HD - it’s not the same imo 

Sorry they don’t - you can’t upscale a dvd or vhs file to HD - it’s not the same imo 

From my perspective they do indeed look better. They don't look native HD but they do look better. Confessions in particular looks far better at 60fps

1 hour ago, baymad4her said:

Can people please stop saying they want stuff to be released on DVD.

NO

We don't want bloody DVD, what decade do you live in.

I would prefer a dvd to nothing seeing as most of her 80s stuff only exist in SD - the Prince concerts  look good on dvd and they have uncompressed audio too