MADONNA AND WARNER MUSIC GROUP ANNOUNCE MILESTONE, CAREER-SPANNING PARTNERSHIP!!

Shoful

21 minutes ago, Tiago Lisboa Rodrigues said:

They knew that back then when they cancelled the 20 year old re-issues...or when they stopped remastering her work after releasing True Blue's reissue, etc...they just like us suffering, lmao.

The music business in 2003 was a completely different beast than it was today.   American Life wasn’t a big seller. WBR saw that and decided to scrap the box set.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, Shoful said:

Also now more than ever seems to be a big nostalgia movement 

There is definitely a big nostalgia movement going on these days, I think that the comeback of vinyl shows that. Basically people are nostalgic about the past because of how wretched things have been in these last few years and the fact that there seems to be little hope of things improving significantly in the near future.

21 minutes ago, Ziggy Stardust said:

There is definitely a big nostalgia movement going on these days, I think that the comeback of vinyl shows that. Basically people are nostalgic about the past because of how wretched things have been in these last few years and the fact that there seems to be little hope of things improving significantly in the near future.

Don't forget cassettes!

I think we’ll get some info in the new year. 
Since the nostalgia movement is already happening, this could be a really interesting and unique way of reintroducing the music of the ultimate pop nostalgia artist. 
I think a lot of M’s music has been lost on the GP for her personal life and antics, but also from a lack of awareness of her new music. 
she basically has the opportunity to hop around throughout her career and not have to keep it chronological, that’s why I’m betting on LAP and Erotica as the first two deluxe editions next year. It’s a strong start to the reissues campaign and will be easy promotion because those are such notable eras in her canon.
I think the debut album will be 2023 for the 40th anniversary.

13 hours ago, deathproof said:

The music business in 2003 was a completely different beast than it was today.   American Life wasn’t a big seller. WBR saw that and decided to scrap the box set.

It's more likely Madonna didn't want to participate in the box set - it was Caresse's initiative and very likely that M was not wanting to be seen as a legacy artist. 

She didnt really start to properly look back on her career until rebel heart and the throwback posts on insta during that era imo. Look at how many of her previous songs are referenced in Veni Vidi Vici as an example.

Plus there arent many legacy artists who are still alive now so she'd want to have a plan in place for reissues when she isn't around any more.

6 hours ago, GregVsMatt said:

It's more likely Madonna didn't want to participate in the box set - it was Caresse's initiative and very likely that M was not wanting to be seen as a legacy artist. 

It was Caresse’s initiative that Madonna greenlit. It’s no different than any other project that came out during that period.

Money was already spent on it. Kevin Reagan did the artwork. Stuart did the remastering.

30 minutes ago, deathproof said:

It was Caresse’s initiative that Madonna greenlit. It’s no different than any other project that came out during that period.

Money was already spent on it. Kevin Reagan did the artwork. Stuart did the remastering.

Whaaaat!? It got that far? Tell us more!

1 hour ago, deathproof said:

I didn't realize the project went that far. Are there any leaked pics of the artwork? 

All I remember hearing about was Tracy Young doing a remix of Over And Over, a Boy Toy belt being included, and albums/songs being remastered. 

22 hours ago, Shoful said:

Also now more than ever seems to be a big nostalgia movement 

It's not a coincidence most legacy acts are selling their catalogs. Most record labels are sweating to find new artists and for some reason there's a race to buy and sell everyone's legacies. I think these 2 reasons are connected.

I mean...what was the last main pop girl to debut? Ariana 10 years ago? Dua in 2015? I read an article on this a while ago and i understand why record labels would turn to nostalgia, specially in a time most current music is inspired by previous decades. 

The Weeknd just got the biggest USA hit in history with Blinding Lights...that song is pure 80's in every way done currently.

1 hour ago, Brendanlovesu1 said:

I seem to recall there was plans to include all the current tours up to that point as well ?

MadonnaTribe announced in the early 2010s that a couple tours (The Girlie Show and I think The Virgin Tour) were being remastered and released on Blu-ray but when someone asked Liz about it, she said it was false. Maybe there were talks about it but then never approved. Then that caused an uproar which made Guy have a meeting with Warner about tour releases and claimed "it's a start." 

I bet Warner was interested all along and Madonna kept saying no. 

1 hour ago, musicinferno said:

I didn't realize the project went that far. Are there any leaked pics of the artwork? 

All I remember hearing about was Tracy Young doing a remix of Over And Over, a Boy Toy belt being included, and albums/songs being remastered. 

The Over & Over remix was done for the Rugrats movie. Creepily enough at one point they wanted Madonna to be the voice of Dill.

5 hours ago, deathproof said:

Where did you get that info from? I have never heard of it getting that far

1 minute ago, GregVsMatt said:

Where did you get that info from? I have never heard of it getting that far

It was confirmed on Madonna.com that Kevin was employed to design the box set

thebeatswithin also interviewed Stuart after the Slane Castle show and confirmed that he was remastering the albums, since he had already digitized the back catalog with Mike McKnight since 2001

2 minutes ago, deathproof said:

It was confirmed on Madonna.com that Kevin was employed to design the box set

thebeatswithin also interviewed Stuart after the Slane Castle show and confirmed that he was remastering the albums, since he had already digitized the back catalog with Mike McKnight since 2001

Ohhh that might have been for the 5.1 versions not the anniversary boxset. They had planned around Confessions to release all her albums in 5.1

7 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Ohhh that might have been for the 5.1 versions not the anniversary boxset. They had planned around Confessions to release all her albums in 5.1

It was for the 2003 box set, which comprised of remastered albums in 5.1 dvd audio.

Never heard of anything planned around Confessions, I don’t think Angela ever planned anything retrospective-wise during her time as a manager.

from Madonna.com:

Dec 16 2002

Ask Caresse part 3

Below is the third installment of Caresse Henry Q&A:

Tom asks
This is a quick question regarding DVD Audio. I was pleasantly surprised to see Madonna is going to release some titles in this new format. Would it be possible for you to find out, when these are going to be released for the UK market and whether or not they are going to be remastered in the 5.1 format which a couple of videos and lyrics and images?

CARESSE: The DVD's will be part of the Madonna Ultimate Box Set which is tentatively scheduled for release Winter 2003 - they will be 5.1 mix and I am sure additional content will also be added.

1 minute ago, deathproof said:

It was for the 2003 box set, which comprised of remastered albums in 5.1 dvd audio.

Never heard of anything planned around Confessions, I don’t think Angela ever planned anything retrospective-wise during her time as a manager.

from Madonna.com:

Dec 16 2002

Ask Caresse part 3

Below is the third installment of Caresse Henry Q&A:

Tom asks
This is a quick question regarding DVD Audio. I was pleasantly surprised to see Madonna is going to release some titles in this new format. Would it be possible for you to find out, when these are going to be released for the UK market and whether or not they are going to be remastered in the 5.1 format which a couple of videos and lyrics and images?

CARESSE: The DVD's will be part of the Madonna Ultimate Box Set which is tentatively scheduled for release Winter 2003 - they will be 5.1 mix and I am sure additional content will also be added.

Ah interesting! Guess i confused the year. 

3 hours ago, Jackie said:

Dan o Rama was also involved with the box set - once it was canned he wasn’t paid for his work by either Madonna or Warner.

Are you sure you’re talking about Danorama and not AvidDiva?

Danorama was working with Warner around that time to release a DVD of his work with Madonna. Maybe it was for this boxset.

But he didn’t do any additional work and the project didn’t get far enough to be owed any money