Jump to content

MADONNA AND WARNER MUSIC GROUP ANNOUNCE MILESTONE, CAREER-SPANNING PARTNERSHIP!!


Shoful
 Share

Recommended Posts

Wasn’t there a rumour (nearly a fact, according to insiders/hackers) about Price remastering all of her stuff with Warner in DVDA format around 2003? 

Makes me wonder if those sonically improved versions of LAP (7’’ Mix and promo dubs) and True Blue (Remix Edit) are actually part of his work!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, MisterMistere said:

"Possessive Love" is from the post-True Blue era, not 1985 or 1986; is mostly from late 1987 (post Who's That Girl tour, Jai Winding is also part of the composition) - 1988 early Like A Prayer sessions and, in this place, IT IS a Madonna co-writing. A Madonna demo exists in this case.

Here I found something... yeah, as you said it was not from "True blue" sessions as I thought

https://todayinmadonnahistory.com/tag/possessive-love/

Anyway, the song was released as a single in January of 1988 and seems that Marilyn Martin says that the song was written specifically for her...I really doubt that Madonna made a recording of the song after she finished the tour  on September 1987 and before the song was released in January of 1988, but who knows...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally I am only really interested in unreleased stuff... I'm not the least interested in vinyl releases of old stuff..or remastered CDs... nothing wrong with that... but I really do not have the space for more of the same records... so if we will only get remastered stuff... I will stream.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would love NOTHING more than remastered albums and severely expanded editions with every demo we’ve ever heard of and more…. But this is Madonna. We feast on scraps but maybe that’s because they have been holding back for so long purely to hit us hard with super super deluxe editions. 
 

I just don’t think there is that much for the first four albums that most of us are keenest to have unearthed. 
 

Premadonna demos will not form part of this deal. Warner doesn’t own them and they were never part of their ouvre. 
Happy to be surprised and love the excitement but trying to keep my expectations realistic.

 

What will be interesting to see is the panic between private traders over the next couple of years or so. Trades will be going off left right and centre right now and there will be a lot of people who’ve both made and spent a lot of money on this black market and had the luxury of 40 years to do so with one of the worlds biggest and most prolific artists who has given them a clear market by issuing zero special editions. We’ll no doubt see a spate of spite & notoriety leaks, both information wise and probably unheard tracks too. 
I just hope after so many years of being able to take advantage of the situation they don’t try and beat M to the punch and let us enjoy the expanded editions and don’t spoil the surprises. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dance_Freak said:

Wasn’t there a rumour (nearly a fact, according to insiders/hackers) about Price remastering all of her stuff with Warner in DVDA format around 2003? 

That rumor was Madonna, not Prince, as far as we know. Her manager at the time (the amazing Caresse Henry) worked on digitalizing all her back catalogue for a big box in 2003. After "American Life" flopped, Warner decided not to release the box.

From PopJustice forums:

The full thing was supposed to be all her albums remastered by Stuart Price on DVD-A with previously unreleased bonus material, a new remix album, and all her tours on DVD. It was due out Fall 2003, but was scrapped and quickly replaced with the Remixed & Revisited EP. There was a whole promotional campaign surrounding it, which is why American Life era had that second wind near the end of the year in 2003 (Gap campaign, VMAs, TRL)
 

--

Some more information regarding Madonna's catalogue and how they were originally handling it before Guy Oseary took over. Caresse Henry approached Mike McKnight (M's keyboardist) in the early 2000s to digitally archive everything Madonna had done at that point. I'm guessing this was right before GHV2.

Quote from an interview Mike McKnight did with Keyboard Magazine:

Caresse was behind the idea to put together a 20th anniversary box set, which included remastered DVDA versions of all M's albums, her tours, and some unreleased material. This is how "Your Honesty" was discovered. The project was going to be handled by Stuart Price. Warner Bros. eventually scrapped it, and Remixed & Revisited was released instead to make up for the cancellation.

Items from these archives were allegedly lost sometime between 2005 and 2008. This includes stuff like the uncut Truth or Dare footage Alek Keshishian mentioned recently, various tours and unreleased material. This is essentially why Celebration was such a clusterfuck; nobody cared, and the one person who did wasn't employed by Madonna anymore. I remember fans speculating that Caresse probably hid everything worth while before she died.

According to Peter Magennis of Record Collector, there are also entire sessions and demos that went unreported and unsubmitted to WBR that only co-producers or session musicians have access to.


--

The box was confirmed to be in the works by everyone from Caresse, Liz, and Warner. Caresse used to do Q&As on Madonna's site and it was referred to constantly.
 

While Madonna is busy recording her forthcoming Maverick studio album, due out early next year, plans are also underway for an "ultimate box set." On the diva's official Web site, her manager Caresse Henry said that she "would like to focus on preparing an ultimate box set of Madonna music -- single(s) and remixes, videos, and tours -- so stay tuned for that to be (released) some time late next year." The box set would apparently be timed to coincide with the 20th anniversary of the release of Madonna's self-titled Sire/Warner Bros. debut.

In an earlier post to the site, Henry mentioned how the singer's 1990 "Blond Ambition World Tour" will soon be released on DVD for the first time. No release date was given. The show was previously only available as a laserdisc, and has been out of print for years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How is there one copy of the work of the most important musical and cultural artist of the last century? 
 

And lost between 2005-2008?

Make it make sense. These things need to be signed out of the archives and are under high protection. They’re not in some back bedroom round interns  house and hackers have obviously had access to them over the years because we’ve had leaks so they’re digitised and sitting on accessible hard drives somewhere. 

Unless Stuart accessed and withdrew everything for her  Confessions tour and lost it all. Unlikely.
 

I imagine someone is working on new iTunes spacial audio editions as we speak. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, steady75 said:

How is there one copy of the work of the most important musical and cultural artist of the last century? 
 

And lost between 2005-2008?

Make it make sense. These things need to be signed out of the archives and are under high protection. They’re not in some back bedroom round interns  house and hackers have obviously had access to them over the years because we’ve had leaks so they’re digitised and sitting on accessible hard drives somewhere. 

Unless Stuart accessed and withdrew everything for her  Confessions tour and lost it all. Unlikely. Wasn’t HE supposed to have be doing something with all her back cat around 2005? Was it done twice? 
 

I imagine someone is working on new iTunes spacial audio editions as we speak. 

Some rumors at the time said Caresse took all the box set stuff with her in 2004 and that's why "Celebration" was remastered from the final masters available and not the original multitracks. I don't know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, lap said:

Some sites say Stephen Bray confirmed in a interview for Peter Magennis there is a Madonna solo version for Tell Me.

I didn't find this interview, but it would be interesting if someone could confirm this.

here's the original Bruce Baron article from 1999 about Madonna's unreleased music, which includes key quotes by Steve Bray, but nothing about 'Tell Me':

https://web.archive.org/web/20050210105443/http://www.buysellmadonna.com/bruce.htm

Edited by desperateK
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, steady75 said:

Premadonna demos will not form part of this deal. Warner doesn’t own them and they were never part of their ouvre. 
Happy to be surprised and love the excitement but trying to keep my expectations realistic.

 

in fact, they could be part of this cause Warner could acquire/license them. Steve Bray only licensed them to a small label so he could release Pre-Madonna/In the Beginning, they weren't owned by a record label back in the day. same works for any early demo tape that was never owned by any record labels, from the home demos that she teased on Instagram to Emmy's studio recordings. the Gotham tape I guess would be the only conflictive thing, since Camille Barbone and her partner owned the rights to the recordings. of course I don't think she will go as far as wanting to release those, but I wouldn't be surprised if the early Bray demos that got her signed were included in case they mean to add bonus tracks.

Edited by desperateK
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Prayer said:

Some rumors at the time said Caresse took all the box set stuff with her in 2004 and that's why "Celebration" was remastered from the final masters available and not the original multitracks. I don't know.

These rumors make no sense. Once something is digitalized it goes into an archive and it’s catalogued. It’s not saved on some random disc that someone can just take lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, MisterMistere said:

I see you guys postilng about TELL ME, but to me a Madonna solo version does not exist. It's not a Madonna composition like Each Time, it's not from a Madonna record project. It's not from the True Blue era (they recorded the vocals for its release in 1988) ad it's not from the Like A Prayer sessions. She only courtesy did the background vocals for Nick (to double the success of Each Time): it's a "Scheherazade-ish" thing. I'd love to hear "Work Your Fingers To The Bone" from that era (Bray - Jellybean final version).

100% I remember reading Madonna came to visit Nick and Pat Leonard, who was the producer of "Tell Me". Pat played Madonna a couple of tracks and she did background vocals on "Tell Me"  because she liked the song and that's it. Donna DeLory and Gardner Cole (co-writer of Open Your Heart) also sing backup on Nick's album US.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

These rumors make no sense. Once something is digitalized it goes into an archive and it’s catalogued. It’s not saved on some random disc that someone can just take lol

Well, again, we don't know anything. We don't even know how far into production the box set went before Warner canceled it. Only the people involved in that process know the truth and one of them (and main head on the project) is now dead.

What we do know is her "Celebration" compilation was a mess and her 80s digital catalogue too. So if they had all those digitalized files anywhere it wouldn't make sense not to use them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Let'sGetUnconsciousHoney said:

I keep reading that "her 80's catalogue is a mess" and I don't get it. What's wrong with it? I have the HD files from iTunes (the M4As) and it sounds good. 

Please. "Madonna", "Like A Virgin" and "True Blue" on their iTunes/Apple Music and Spotify editions are awful.

"Madonna": 2001 remastered versions combined the original masters and 12'' mixes and edits. Massive volume changes between tracks. Wrong versions: "Borderline" is the 12'' Extended Version, not the Album Version, "Holiday" is an edit of the Q-Sound mix, not the Album Version. "Everybody" is the Extended Version but that was changed on the 2001 reissue.

"Like A Virgin": "Dress You Up" on Spotify was the Extended version until recently. On iTunes, the volume is very, very low on this album.

"True Blue": it was the 2001 remaster until recently, when the 35th edition was released all the 11 tracks on the regular album were updated from that one too.

Warner has Hi-Res versions of those three albums (and "Who's That Girl"), which means they could easily have Apple Digital Masters on iTunes and Apple Music if they wanted to:

https://www.qobuz.com/es-es/album/madonna-hi-res-version-madonna/0093624951179

https://www.qobuz.com/es-es/album/like-a-virgin-hi-res-version-madonna/0093624951117

https://www.qobuz.com/es-es/album/true-blue-hi-res-version-madonna/0093624951124

At least the correct albums as they were released would be nice. Even "Like A Prayer" has a glitch at the start of "Pray For Spanish Eyes".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm listening to Abbey Road in 5.1 for the second time. Not upmixed with Dolby, as I was talking about earlier, but the surround mix from 2019. Must admit, it's pretty cool. Now I want Madonna albums in 5.1 too. Only drawback is that I'm not in front of my TV and between my speakers that much when I'm not watching something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Please. "Madonna", "Like A Virgin" and "True Blue" on their iTunes/Apple Music and Spotify editions are awful.

"Madonna": 2001 remastered versions combined the original masters and 12'' mixes and edits. Massive volume changes between tracks. Wrong versions: "Borderline" is the 12'' Extended Version, not the Album Version, "Holiday" is an edit of the Q-Sound mix, not the Album Version. "Everybody" is the Extended Version but that was changed on the 2001 reissue.

"Like A Virgin": "Dress You Up" on Spotify was the Extended version until recently. On iTunes, the volume is very, very low on this album.

"True Blue": it was the 2001 remaster until recently, when the 35th edition was released all the 11 tracks on the regular album were updated from that one too.

And on top of that those 2001 remasters just don't sound great.  The original CDs released for those albums sound way better than the remasters.  It's been 20 years though, so hopefully they will remaster them properly this time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Prayer said:

Some rumors at the time said Caresse took all the box set stuff with her in 2004 and that's why "Celebration" was remastered from the final masters available and not the original multitracks. I don't know.

Is that what an "amazing" manager does? JFC, if it's true, she was a horrible c-word.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Prayer said:

"Madonna": 2001 remastered versions combined the original masters and 12'' mixes and edits. Massive volume changes between tracks. Wrong versions: "Borderline" is the 12'' Extended Version, not the Album Version, "Holiday" is an edit of the Q-Sound mix, not the Album Version. 

I'm confused, you're talking about what's available for streaming, right? Not the actual 2001 CDs. 

I agree, her catalogue on streaming is all over the place, but I'm sure they'll fix it soon like they did with Papa don't preach

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why would Warner put top quality stuff on streaming channels when they know audiophiles will put their hand in their pockets and buy high res stuff from high res sites? Everything is a business decision and there's little value or difference for the average joe logging on to You Tube or Spotify. Her stuff is essentially there. This project rectifies that and is obviously a fan directed endevour that will also appeal to the wider publics nostalgia and lay the foundation for the bio pic and raise her public profile and win over hearts and minds with the familiar to bolsyter and reignite her commercial power when releasing new music and projects. 

It's business,,,and its smart business. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some of you mentioned that Kevin Gore will be in charge of the reissue program, and hope for box sets like the ones with David Bowie.

No thank you! I would very much prefer a reissue program similar to Led Zeppelin, that also was done by Mr Gore. The SDEs of the three first albums were released at the same time, and Led-heads across the world cried with happiness. And the boxes are beautiful. Nine boxes were released in 13 months.  A MASSIVE and successful project.

Deluxe box sets still sell. Just look at the ones with Springsteen, Prince and Beatles. Thay sell like hotcakes! 1999 sold out SO FAST! (the multidisc editions)

With so many outtakes and remixes, Madonna could easily do the same thing. Even a SDE of You Can Dance would sell. Just put all dubs, edits and unmixed versions in the box and BOOM, we'd buy it. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hate to burst your bubble, but I don't think you're getting box sets with discs of unreleased demos. I can understand fully finished tracks that were left off an album, like Supernatural and Ain't No Big Deal, but not demos.

I can understand Madonna being the type of recording artist that would not want a track that they were originally unhappy with being tagged onto a finished album because fans want them.

Doesn't matter. Petulant fans can cry bloody murder if they want, but why should any artist feel obliged to succumb to those demands that weren't part of their work when it released?

Put yourself in a recording artist's shoes, would you want work you were unhappy with to be offered up for public consumption?

You set yourself up for disappointment with all these grand wishes and demands for an artist who has always remained protective of their back catalogue.

Don't think you're getting dozens of demos suddenly folks. If it turns out I'm wrong, and she releases more than outtakes, remixes, remasters and instrumentals, then that's ok, but it would be a strange move on her part to now give in and release those demos.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PatrickSamuel said:

I hate to burst your bubble, but I don't think you're getting box sets with discs of unreleased demos. I can understand fully finished tracks that were left off an album, like Supernatural and Ain't No Big Deal, but not demos.

I can understand Madonna being the type of recording artist that would not want a track that they were originally unhappy with being tagged onto a finished album because fans want them.

Doesn't matter. Petulant fans can cry bloody murder if they want, but why should any artist feel obliged to succumb to those demands that weren't part of their work when it released?

Put yourself in a recording artist's shoes, would you want work you were unhappy with to be offered up for public consumption?

You set yourself up for disappointment with all these grand wishes and demands for an artist who has always remained protective of their back catalogue.

Don't think you're getting dozens of demos suddenly folks. If it turns out I'm wrong, and she releases more than outtakes, remixes, remasters and instrumentals, then that's ok, but it would be a strange move on her part to now give in and release those demos.

I sort of agree and disagree. 

The fact is these bodies of work exist and were already super successful and critically acclaimed. This is 40 year career were talking about and were going back to the genesis to see how her career has evolved and the creative decisions she made at the same time we see behind the story of Madonna curtain for the first time in the biopic. Madonna has an issue with leaks because they were not done at her request and actually fucked up her creative process for Rebel Heart. Seeing a work in progress collection 40 years later of an already world famous renowned project is a different approach. If the demos are not up to standard then people will only be more impressed at her quality control first time around. 

I think a raising of the iron curtain on her vault is actually a pretty Madonna thing to do in many ways. Instagram / Truth Or Dare etc. In other ways I think she is super controlling and money save so who the hell knows which mood she'll find herself in. I think the biggest factor that comes into play is the financial costs of making these and who stumps up the cash for the remastering and collating etc. I imagine Warner will be and I imagine Madonna will just take the coin and run.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Fighter unfeatured this topic
  • RUADJAI pinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Write here...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...