MADONNA AND WARNER MUSIC GROUP ANNOUNCE MILESTONE, CAREER-SPANNING PARTNERSHIP!!

Shoful

1 minute ago, Kacper said:

All I want is a CD releases. Is that really bad? I'm not asking for magnetic tape for fuck sake!

As evidenced by all Madonna albums including MX and FEL, I expect you'll get CD releases for the expanded albums. CD singles are a dead market for over 10 years so when a special single or EP is released, I wouldn't expect a CD release. 

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Honey Little said:

The expansive deluxe editions will be curated by MADONNA HERSELF. She will only release things that she wants. NOT FAN REQUESTS! When Madonna took song requests during sticky and sweet, she told some fans to “Fuck Off” if she didn’t want to sing it. She doesn’t do fan pleasing. If you are a fan, you already know this and thus should be happy with what she decides to do. Also, she likes to punish the fans. We were already warned by Rhino that she is pissed off and will seek revenge on fans who public ally discuss release dates. Thus she removed the promo tracks on NRM at the last second as punishment.

Actually you are assuming and trying to re-write the narrative here.  In fact, the press statement stated specifically "the series of releases will be overseen by Warner Music’s catalog team, led by Kevin Gore, President of Global Catalog, Recorded Music" along with Madonna curating.  That really leaves a lot of room to speculate how and who will be putting these re-issues together.  But I think it's pretty easy to figure out that the team will put something together and Madonna will definitely add her two cents.  I'm sure they are all working together.  I'm sure both her team and herself will have some differences in what to include, but I'm not expecting a lot of unknown demos or remixes included.  

Let's face it, the campaign started as soon as the live MX Tour was released to digital and streaming platforms back in Oct. 2021.  Being Warner were involved in that release, it made sense to announce the full joint effort.  Nothing in the statement promised WHEN we would get the re-issues.  However, and some fans may want to dismiss or downplay what has been released so far, but the facts are we've gotten a lot of stuff, digitally, streaming and physically in such a short time than any other era I know.  The big difference here is she has 40 years of music to work from.  It would be ridiculous to think that all this would be done in a year or two's time, when the press statement specifically said it IS a "multi-year" deal.  They even stated in 2025, the Interscope albums will become part of Warner, but there is no promise of what albums will get expanded re-issues.  The statement clearly says, "landmark albums".  We can sit here and speculate what that may include, but anyone hoping ALL albums will get a re-issue is setting themselves up for a disappointment.  There is a good chance most of the studio albums will get re-released, but I doubt her whole catalog is getting a re-release. 

FEL was the frst curated physical release, and again some fans may want to dismiss it or downplay that release, but it happened and it definitely fits in line in what their agenda is, which is to celebrate her 40 years in the music business.  Not only that, it was released throughout all platforms including physical, digital and streaming.  This was hardly something they slapped together quickly.  We all have our opinions on the songs, mixes and artwork, but it still was a major undertaking and release which is easily thought of as a Greatest Dance Hits collection. 

I firmly believe the next big box set will be "Madonna 40" (her debut album) as @Prayeroutlined in another post.  Will it be perfect and/or suite every fan's wants and desires?  Nope!  But I'm sure it will be a great release and it will be released on all platforms, so everyone can enjoy (or hate) it the same.  

3 hours ago, Kacper said:

All I want is a CD releases. Is that really bad? I'm not asking for magnetic tape for fuck sake!

When CD's became the rage, I was the same way.  But that was in 1987.  I started collecting Madonna on CD, but it's not the same as a Vinyl.  The huge cover art, the actual LP and the sound can't be replaced by CD.  Don't limit yourself.  Music can be enjoyed in so many formats, but nothing is as simple and great as Vinyl.

4 hours ago, Kacper said:

Also the cost of vinyl!

Its super cheap to produce, but because it’s the current ‘in’ thing right now, they mark vinyl up big time.

I buy M on vinyl because I collect her releases, but I can’t justify the cost of vinyl for the sound quality you lose for all other artists.

The vinyl bubble will pop if the industry don’t monitor prices. I find it utterly shocking the mark ups these days. Since the pandemic they have soared and as a collector who knows other collectors and people who work in record stores the kick back from consumers has started. I’m being way more selective about things I collect now. There are no frivolous purchases. It’s must haves only. 

1 minute ago, steady75 said:

The vinyl bubble will pop if the industry don’t monitor prices. I find it utterly shocking the mark ups these days. Since the pandemic they have soared and as a collector who knows other collectors and people who work in record stores the kick back from consumers has started. I’m being way more selective about things I collect now. There are no frivolous purchases. It’s must haves only. 

It’s the prices and also vinyl fatigue. I just can’t keep up anymore 

3 hours ago, kesiak said:

They're neither superior nor inferior, they're different and offer different listening experience which is sort of the point. :)

Technically digital has a higher dynamic range than vinyl so yeah it’s superior. But as you said vinyl offers a different listening experience and allows to hear the music in a new way. Which is very cool

26 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

I agree Vinyls are far more expensive.  And while I'm sure there is a "mark up", the demand to get them pressed is high.  Though, I'm genuinely curious what you mean by "vinyl fatigue"? 

38 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

Agrees.  I got into vinyl last year and I have spent so much and I have not opened any of them as I do not want to affect the value.  I think that I paid the most for Hard Candy and MDNA.  Erotica was a lot too.  But it becomes an obsession where you have to ha e them Ll but they never stop coming.  Haha It is almost pointless in my case as I do not even open them but I love the large cover photos.  Maybe I should frame them and display but I do not want to be that thematic with my decor.  Storage is an issue too.  

1 hour ago, Sultrysully said:

Agrees.  I got into vinyl last year and I have spent so much and I have not opened any of them as I do not want to affect the value.  I think that I paid the most for Hard Candy and MDNA.  Erotica was a lot too.  But it becomes an obsession where you have to ha e them Ll but they never stop coming.  Haha It is almost pointless in my case as I do not even open them but I love the large cover photos.  Maybe I should frame them and display but I do not want to be that thematic with my decor.  Storage is an issue too.  

I guess it depends what your purpose is when buying them.  I'm not into collecting them just to have them sit on my shelf.  I play them.  I have no plans in selling them.  When I die, if someone can make some money off of them, fine, but either way, I won't be around to know or care.  I personally don't see the point of spending money on something, only to shelve it and never enjoying it.   I agree it would be "pointless".  

1 minute ago, tscott said:

I guess it depends what your purpose is when buying them.  I'm not into collecting them just to have them sit on my shelf.  I play them.  I have no plans in selling them.  When I die, if someone can make some money off of them, fine, but either way, I won't be around to know or care.  I personally don't see the point of spending money on something, only to shelve it and never enjoying it.   I agree it would be "pointless".  

A lot of people in my life agree.  I am already slightly over 50 and would never sell them. Haha

5 minutes ago, JustinTimes said:

They still have copies of Erotica picture disc at my local HMV, I thought they would sell out quickly 🤷

I bought mine late as I was not sure about it.  Eventually, I decided that it was a Defiantdonna release and I had to have it.  Warner told her know and she got her way in the end.  Haha

57 minutes ago, wtg1987 said:

I’ve spent thousands on vinyl in the late 80s and 90s - no way am I going to invest in it again when CDs and blu rays are Cheaper , more durable and overall better quality- that’s why I find this reissue campaign so frustrating- so far no release has excites me … 🥹

Although, I have been purchasing every thing, I am disappointed in the focus on vinyl with the reissues.  For instance, why can't we have Causing a Commotion/Who's that Girl in any other format?  I would stream the hell out of it.  Instead, I have an unopened vinyl release.  On the other hand, why do we only have True Blue 35 on streaming only?   Emily must randomly decide.  Haha 

23 minutes ago, Sultrysully said:

Although, I have been purchasing every thing, I am disappointed in the focus on vinyl with the reissues.  For instance, why can't we have Causing a Commotion/Who's that Girl in any other format?  I would stream the hell out of it.  Instead, I have an unopened vinyl release.  On the other hand, why do we only have True Blue 35 on streaming only?   Emily must randomly decide.  Haha 

Do you really want True Blue 35 on cd? With that bad cover and without anything special included? 

10 minutes ago, cosmic_system said:

Do you really want True Blue 35 on cd? With that bad cover and without anything special included? 

I actually love the cover.  And there are a lot of remixes/instrumentals.  Twice as many tracks as the original album.  I really wish that it was a Vinyl release more than a CD.  

3 hours ago, thegoldencalf said:

Technically digital has a higher dynamic range than vinyl so yeah it’s superior. But as you said vinyl offers a different listening experience and allows to hear the music in a new way. Which is very cool

Sure, but one could also argue that some information is lost in the process of translating analogue soundwaves into a digital signal which would theoretically make vinyl the only truly lossless format. But I'm playing devil's advocate here - I just think it's a bit silly to say one is better than the other in this case (same with digital and analog photography for example). :)