MADONNA AND WARNER MUSIC GROUP ANNOUNCE MILESTONE, CAREER-SPANNING PARTNERSHIP!!

Shoful

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ScottyX said:

How many are a few? She has alot of fans. And apparently, the youngins buy vinyl now. I could be wrong, I mean I'm ancient 

A lot of fans? Let’s dissect a few numbers:

MX sold 169k copies total in the US. Most of us at least got two copies to support her when it came out and some fanatics many more.

On top of that the albums were bundled with tickets. I myself had 6 CDs shipped to me with tickets. Such a waste and I’m glad they’ve stopped the practice. Environment anyone? 

That’s 8 copies from me alone and I’m sure I’m not the only one. 

So what does “a lot of fans” mean exactly? 15-30K in the US with a population of 300 million? I find toying with these numbers fascinating. 

If it wasn’t for us fanatics who buy multiple copies of her shit, she would be completely irrelevant by now. But I guess that goes for all fandoms. 

2 hours ago, DaddyZ said:

I never said they weren’t. But let’s get real, only a few hardcore fanatics will buy these reissues. The main art work is what is engrained into the fabric of music history. ??‍♂️

That really depends. If they’re only released as expensive and large box sets yes most people won’t buy them. But if there are standard releases a much larger number will purchase. Especially over time since people tend to get the latest reissue, especially if it’s branded as remastered or expanded.

And these days purchasing landmark albums on vinyl or CD became normalized again and her popularity is on the rise with younger people.

So yea if they make standard versions those will become the mainstream edition.

The Prince and George estate both did various editions.

Standard

Standard plus demos

Boxset with DVD videos 

Live CD

etc

its entirely possible there will be various price tiers for sales across the board.

GP and Die Hard.

just look at all a the Madame X variants.

some of them were shit tbf (pic disc)

but I think we’ll be really spoiled in terms of extras. I think they’ll throw everything at these and empty the vaults. It’s Warner just look at the Prince journey. 
Record companies probably know that this is THE time in terms of physical products having a renaissance. They won’t want to wait another decade when plastic will probably be banned or somet. Who knows.

The time is now. 
She has a biopic to fund. 

4 hours ago, DaddyZ said:

A lot of fans? Let’s dissect a few numbers:

MX sold 169k copies total in the US. Most of us at least got two copies to support her when it came out and some fanatics many more.

On top of that the albums were bundled with tickets. I myself had 6 CDs shipped to me with tickets. Such a waste and I’m glad they’ve stopped the practice. Environment anyone? 

That’s 8 copies from me alone and I’m sure I’m not the only one. 

So what does “a lot of fans” mean exactly? 15-30K in the US with a population of 300 million? I find toying with these numbers fascinating. 

If it wasn’t for us fanatics who buy multiple copies of her shit, she would be completely irrelevant by now. But I guess that goes for all fandoms. 

It's more than just that though - It debuted at No. 1 in America with pretty much just those sales - so that says something about the music buying/streaming public in general these days.

I mean MDNA didn't it 'sell' something like 350,000 copies in its first week (bundled of course) but it went to No. 1- so 10 years later, you only need half those sales to get to the top.

Some of the top charts - https://www.billboard.com/music/chart-beat/adele-30-1-5-million-us-sales-top-album-sales-chart-1235021281/ - you could get to No. 2 with just 16,000 sales! You could almost buy yourself a chart position if you wanted!

Charts are irrelevant as are sales these days - it's such a complex issue I think.

Idk about you guys, but I love this concept. A living legend like M having all these new iconic artists on her best of, as if her dance hits catalogue is a big party every popstar wants to be invited to, I think it's just brilliant. Hope the rumored feats are true, can't wait for this compilation! 

19 hours ago, Jackie said:

It's more than just that though - It debuted at No. 1 in America with pretty much just those sales - so that says something about the music buying/streaming public in general these days.

I mean MDNA didn't it 'sell' something like 350,000 copies in its first week (bundled of course) but it went to No. 1- so 10 years later, you only need half those sales to get to the top.

Some of the top charts - https://www.billboard.com/music/chart-beat/adele-30-1-5-million-us-sales-top-album-sales-chart-1235021281/ - you could get to No. 2 with just 16,000 sales! You could almost buy yourself a chart position if you wanted!

Charts are irrelevant as are sales these days - it's such a complex issue I think.

You missed the point. Even those low sales were inflated by ticket bundles and us fanatics going to multiple shows and buying multiple copies. 

It wasn’t about charts but about “a lot of fans”, which I don’t believe there are as many as you’d like to believe. 

22 hours ago, thegoldencalf said:

That really depends. If they’re only released as expensive and large box sets yes most people won’t buy them. But if there are standard releases a much larger number will purchase. Especially over time since people tend to get the latest reissue, especially if it’s branded as remastered or expanded.

And these days purchasing landmark albums on vinyl or CD became normalized again and her popularity is on the rise with younger people.

So yea if they make standard versions those will become the mainstream edition.

….and I think all these new “standard editions” should have the original cover art.

I do like what Phil Collins did with his reissues a few years back. Recreating the original covers with his aged face was genius. But that’s not gonna happen with Madonna. ?

12 minutes ago, DaddyZ said:

….and I think all these new “standard editions” should have the original cover art.

I do like what Phil Collins did with his reissues a few years back. Recreating the original covers with his aged face was genius. But that’s not gonna happen with Madonna. ?

Phil Collins was absolutely crucified for those new covers. Fans had spent years trying to demolish the naff label attached to his career only for him to put out reissues almost ridiculing himself. It was such an accidental Partridge / David Brent moment. (Uk reference).

New covers using photos from the same session is fine by me. 
The one thing I loathed about the Listen Without Prejudice special edition was the new picture of George used for the cover.  

1 hour ago, steady75 said:

Phil Collins was absolutely crucified for those new covers. Fans had spent years trying to demolish the naff label attached to his career only for him to put out reissues almost ridiculing himself. It was such an accidental Partridge / David Brent moment. (Uk reference).

New covers using photos from the same session is fine by me. 
The one thing I loathed about the Listen Without Prejudice special edition was the new picture of George used for the cover.  

“Crucified” he’s still touring so I’m sure he’s ok. ;)

2 hours ago, DaddyZ said:

If anything she would make the pictures look even younger ?

4 hours ago, Spanky1995 said:

Yes only pictures from the relevant era must be used 

Same with the audio material.

You ccan't put the Confessions Tour version of Like A Virgin on the Virgin SDE because it's a cool version.

You have to stick to the era... And the Virgin Tour version of Like A Virgin was beyond and incredible! :)

• 2 weeks later...