Debra Winger doesn't like Madonna, #MeToo

Debra Winger was supposed to play the Geena Davis character in A League of Their Own, but she left when Madonna was cast...

Winger even trained with the Chicago Cubs for three months, but when director Penny Marshall cast Madonna, Winger felt Marshall was making fluff — “an Elvis film.”

“The studio agreed with me because it was the only time I ever collected a pay-or-play on my contract. In other words, I collected my pay even though I did not play, and that’s very hard to get in a court,” she told the Telegraph.

She added, “As entertaining as [the finished film] was, you don’t walk away going, ‘Wow, those women did that.’ You kind of go, ‘Is that true?’”

She said the other stars didn’t train as much as she did, but Davis “did OK.”

As far as Madonna’s performance? “I think [her] acting career has spoken for itself."

‘I don’t feel like it’s settled yet. [The industry] is still in upheaval,’ she said. ‘The plates are shifting. In some ways, it’s pulled ridiculously too far.'

‘Part of it is that I’m the mother of three young white males, so I’m looking at things that they’re experiencing, and things that my girlfriends of all different backgrounds are experiencing [and] it hasn’t quite found its steady point yet where there’s room for everybody.’

Source (paywall): https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2021/08/13/debra-winger-ways-metoo-has-gone-ridiculously-far/

Other source: https://dlisted.com/2021/08/16/debra-winger-dragged-madonnas-acting-and-said-metoo-has-gone-ridiculously-too-far/

4 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

I guess she never got over Madonna telling Carrie Fisher in Rolling Stone in 1991 that Winger was absolutely horrible and the wrong choice in Tea in the Sahara :)

Lol and Madonna only said that because she never got over the fact that she didn’t get the part ?

That’s annoying. She would have been so much better than Geena Davis. 

3 hours ago, professormouse said:

When Barbara Walters interviewed Bette Davis in 1986, Davis said "I see a great deal of myself in Debra Winger."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debra_Winger

And Debra Winger rather than taking the compliment went and insulted the late Bette horribly. What a bitch.

She's been notorious for being a grade A asshole when it comes to her career. The fact she's speaking ill of the ALOTO production, Madonna, the cast and Penny Marshall says more about her than anything. Her career was tanking because of how she was rude, dismissive and burning bridges left and right in Hollywood. The fact she cashed out and remains bitter because of Madonna's part and insinuating the women didn't train hard enough, like okay ma'am. This is a Wendy's, we don't have that here.

She's been horrible for a very long time. She butted heads infamously with Shirley on Terms of Endearment, Richard Gere and numerous other people. Even in interviews, she is standoffish and rude for the sake of it. See Andy Cohen's show where (he's a fool himself) is rude for no reason and acts above him and the entire premise of his show. Then why go on there?

And her reaction to this fan. Great actress, horrible person.

Even Lynda Carter who is a sweetheart  said, when pressed to talk about how difficult Winger was when she played Wonder Girl in Wonder Woman, "If you don't have anything nice to say about somebody, don't say anything". Rosanna Arquette thought she had something when she made the doc "Looking for Debra Winger" only to have her insulting her years later..

25 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

Even Lynda Carter who is a sweetheart  said, when pressed to talk about how difficult Winger was when she played Wonder Girl in Wonder Woman, "If you don't have anything nice to say about somebody, don't say anything". Rosanna Arquette thought she had something when she made the doc "Looking for Debra Winger" only to have her insulting her years later..

Lynda is like, the best person ever, If she says this then we know for a fact Drabra Wanker is a  C-U-N-T ! 

7 minutes ago, PatrickSamuel said:

This "news" broke on Madonna's birthday as well. Debra has always seemed miserable and unlikeable. The movie is better with Geena Davis.

Neah, the interview was published on August 13th, and we can't know for sure when it was completed (maybe July?).