Arthur Baker presents Shep Pettibone - Excludes M....Epic Fail

Garry Howieson

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/arthur-baker-presents-dance-masters-shep-pettibone-the-classic-master-mixes/

We all know Madonna hates her tracks being used on compilations, but to have no Madonna tracks on this upcoming release is just tragic.

This would have been an ideal opportunity on bringing some of her best work to a new audience who may not have appeciated their collaboraton.

A new interview on the release with Arthur Baker for classic pop mag, he even makes light of the work Shep did with her (and we know Arthur has history with M too)

Another wasted missed opportunity by her pathetic team.

It's not a question of M wanting it on the compilation or not, it's about licencing. They probably didn't want to pay for the M tracks or there's a contract that does not allow to feature M tracks anywhere, it's not like they're going to ask for her and she will personally say yes or no.

I believe that there's a very strict contract that prevents Warner to use her music on these things, hence the lack of any kind of re-release of anything from her catalog other than the first 3 albums. In the long run I think it works for the best, we don't need her music on cheap movies, TV ads or "Flashback 80's" compilations all the time.

2 hours ago, HC Charge said:

Who cares about compilations in the era of streaming? This one goes totally under the radar as well no matter if Madonna is included or not.. 

The era of streaming???? The era of streaming doesn't have the 75% of edits and remixes I bought in physical during 40 years. I can't play the songs I want because those versions are not available on streaming sites. Sometimes you can't play a classic album because the songs on those albums are not the original ones.

The era of streaming.... Ha.

2 hours ago, anjoel said:

I worked on this. Madonna (her team) was asked and turned it down straight away. Janet & Mariah were also asked too and it was denied.  Let's hope it was because she is intending to add all this stuff to her forthcoming deluxe albums.

They were the first artists approached considering their body of work with Shep. It's a shame but it was expected. The reply is a prompt rebuttal straight away, they don't even consider it.

I hope you will enjoy it anyway. 

It’s nice looking set but not enough tracks for me to warrant a purchase sorry ?

1 hour ago, Aiwa08 said:

The era of streaming????.... 

The era of streaming.... Ha.

Making fun of streaming in 2021, really? ... Uhm ok - _-

And then we are all wondering why Madonna's streaming numbers are usually so low and her legacy is dying...

New era, new rules, I am collector myself but I realized a long time ago that physical copies are dying and meant only for niche audience and not gonna have any general appeal, and this collection isn't even any mainstream collection, it simply goes totally under the radar, so it really doesn't matter if Madonna is included or not. Most of the fans on this forum even seem to not care about it much. So calling it "EPIC FAIL" / "TRAGIC" is bit of exaggerating.. Sure it would be nice for a few fans if Madonna would be included, but let's not make a tragic out of this. It is not like Madonna decided to ignore half of her catalogue. 

Edited by HC Charge (see edit history)

9 minutes ago, HC Charge said:

Making fun of streaming in 2021, really? ... Uhm ok - _-

And then we are all wondering why Madonna's streaming numbers are usually so low and her legacy is dying...

No, I'm not making fun of streaming. I'm telling the truth. Many songs are not available on streaming so I can't play what I want. 

But you are making fun of compilations. Why? Many compilations are made to release forgotten edits and remixes (many of them never available from digital sources before).

54 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

No, I'm not making fun of streaming. I'm telling the truth. Many songs are not available on streaming so I can't play what I want. 

But you are making fun of compilations. Why? Many compilations are made to release forgotten edits and remixes (many of them never available from digital sources before).

Please quote me similarly as I quoted you. Where exactly am I making FUN of compilations? 

I am not making fun of them at all, just stating facts. I am huge fan of compilations and greatest hits albums, but they really don't make that much sense (especially physical copies) in the era of streaming. They simply lost the momentum. I would love to see more of these albums, but I learnt to accept they are not going to be as huge as they were before. That's it. 

And this one isn't going to make any difference, no matter if Madonna is included or not. 

Like I said in previous post, sure it would be nice for a few fans if Madonna would be included, but let's not make a tragic out of this. It is not like Madonna decided to ignore half of her catalogue. 

Moreover, Mariah and Janet said "I'll pass" as well, so it says a lot about "the importance" of this release. 

Edited by HC Charge (see edit history)

10 hours ago, HC Charge said:

I am not making fun of them at all, just stating facts. I am huge fan of compilations and greatest hits albums, but they really doesn't make that much sense (especially in physical copies) in the era of streaming. They simply lost the momentum. I would love to see more these albums, but I learnt to accept they are not going to be huge as they were before. That's it. 

I've seen more compilations nowadays than before. I could agree with you with the "Greatest Hits" compilations. But the compilations right now are made with very rare versions (edits and remix edits) never released before. They are more a collection with all versions available on the vaults than the typical greatest hits compilation (and those versions were unavailable before on streaming sites, neither from digital sources).

7 hours ago, anjoel said:

I worked on this. Madonna (her team) was asked and turned it down straight away. Janet & Mariah were also asked too and it was denied.  Let's hope it was because she is intending to add all this stuff to her forthcoming deluxe albums.

They were the first artists approached considering their body of work with Shep. It's a shame but it was expected. The reply is a prompt rebuttal straight away, they don't even consider it.

I hope you will enjoy it anyway. 

Shame they couldn’t include the big artists like Madonna and Janet. I love Shep’s sound though so am keen to check it out. Thanks for sharing.

21 hours ago, Garry Howieson said:

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/arthur-baker-presents-dance-masters-shep-pettibone-the-classic-master-mixes/

We all know Madonna hates her tracks being used on compilations, but to have no Madonna tracks on this upcoming release is just tragic.

This would have been an ideal opportunity on bringing some of her best work to a new audience who may not have appeciated their collaboraton.

A new interview on the release with Arthur Baker for classic pop mag, he even makes light of the work Shep did with her (and we know Arthur has history with M too)

Another wasted missed opportunity by her pathetic team.

20 hours ago, Sprk said:

There’s no Janet remix either, which is odd, and a really weird selection from Five Star. Pretty weird compilation tbh. 

19 hours ago, kesiak said:

And no Mariah either - his remix of "Someday" was super popular and helped get the song to #1 on Billboard. 

They probably have the same kind of clause in their contract that basically ban compilations with some exclusions like corporate and promo stuff. Really a bummer for a Pettibone compilation though ?

• 1 month later...

I wonder how this could bring Madonna to a new audience as if Shep Pettibone is super popular with youngsters...

And not having high profile artists he work with/for showcases his own work better imo, he's not overshadowed by them. Fans of Madonna, Janet & Mariah know his work with them already. They'd better remaster it for their own box sets. I mean we were always complaining about Madonna not taking care of her back catalogue here but Janet is worst. Her good albums (1 to 3) are pretty unlistenable because they need remastering asap.