the wronged

Luiz Ribeiro

MV5BNTQ4NDllZTEtMjFiNi00YTZkLWI3OGEtOGI2MV5BMGNhNTkyMDMtYTg3Ni00ZDZjLWE0YTAtNzM2

How can the world listen to "Love Don't Live Here Anymore" and not give it a Grammy (cover wins Grammy?).
Madonna sings like any of the so-called "vocalists", as if she had walked into the studio and told the producer "I'm ready, hit it on." Madonna is an excellent vocalist in the studio, she gives it her all.
Well, she takes this cover, transforms the rhythm, beats, and even in the colecnea version she remakes the vocals, now powerful due to the vocal study in Evita, puts an orchestra and strong drums and transforms them into an unusual, avant-garde and original ballad.
Love Don't Live Here is one of Madonna's best songs to sing, even though it's not hers.

c170c67c45dcad2201a6e8f73feac147.jpg

madonna-love-dont-live-here-anymore-vide

2 minutes ago, RUADJAI said:

I'm pretty sure it's the same vocal. 

The 1995 remix on Something to Remember begins with the sound of violins and Uilleann pipes, followed by Madonna beginning the first verse. As the song progresses, the sound of the violin fades in and the drum machine starts, and the piano is played along with it.[41] As the chorus is sung the third time, a bass drum is also added in the flow. The violin again fades in as Madonna sings "Through the windmills of my eye, Everyone can see the loneliness inside me." Near the end, she utters the chorus a number of times, emphasizing on the word "anymore" and the phrase "live here anymore".[41] It ends with the Uilleann pipes fading out.[41] The song was also treated with remixes which were released on promotional 12" and CD singles on May 6, 1996.[42] SoulShock & Karlin provided an R&B styled remix while Marcus Schulz created a house remix which paired Madonna's voice with an energetic beat, coupled with vibrant organ lines and blipping synth effects.

Wikipedia. If you put both acapellas you can hear the difference

Liz Smith, while reviewing the Something to Remember album in Newsday, felt that all of Madonna's vocal trainings that she received while shooting for the film Evita, had "paid off, because the La M's second single sounds wonderful, and is a step up from the previous haunting 'You'll See'".[48] Dorothy Holmes from Telegram & Gazette said that "'Love Don't Live Here Anymore' sounds like her perfect adult contemporary staple".[49] Slant Magazine's Paul Schrodt wrote it was "among Madonna’s more faithful covers [...] shed to the limits of her vocal range, she wisely relies on a tearful, angsty rock delivery as the track builds and the strings undulate, until she’s literally panting for breath".[50] Writing for The Baltimore Sun, J.D. Considine highlighted Madonna's "soulful intensity" on the song.[51] From the Dallas Observer, Hunter Hauk deemed it "one of those Madonna ballads that, when you really examine it, is sung quite terribly. But it still works".[52] Dennis Hunt from the Los Angeles Times opined that "someone with such a flimsy voice shouldn't be singing a sensitive ballad like 'Love Don't Live Here Anymore'".[53] Entertainment Weekly's Chuck Arnold noted that "her best [cover] came early on with her soul-deep take on this Rose Royce ballad".[54] Medium's Richard LaBeau pointed out that it was one of Madonna's "rare but intriguing and largely successful foray into remakes".[55]

Madonna re-recorded DON'T CRY FOR ME ARGENTINA at that time, not this one.

The SOMETHING TO REMEMBER version is a remix, like it is written on the CD booklet.

I always wondered why the Soulpower remix used for the video made her clumsily say 'Anymore' three times in a row towards the end.
Curious, isn’t it ?

:Madonna027:

2 minutes ago, Material Girl said:

I always wondered why the Soulpower remix used for the video made her clumsily say 'Anymore' three times in a row towards the end.
Curious, isn’t it ?

:Madonna027:

I remember reading about it (but I don't know if that's true) and they said that when they recorded the video at the end she always made the playback wrong and after making some takes, she was tired of doing the same and they didn't had much time, they decided to make the cuts on the song to make it fit to the video... It could be possible but it could be a rumour too... Who knows???

Yup, 100% 1984 vocals on this. I love the original Rose Royce version and I don't mind the Soulpower Remix of Madonna's but what you can clearly hear in M's version is precisely the lack of vocal training at that point - she pretty much shouts throughout the end of the song. And, while enjoyable, there's literally nothing avant-garde about M's version. Also, Liz Smith (a journalist and gossip columnist who's never been M's assistant by the way) refers to "second single" and that was "One More Chance" :).

18 minutes ago, kesiak said:

Yup, 100% 1984 vocals on this. I love the original Rose Royce version and I don't mind the Soulpower Remix of Madonna's but what you can clearly hear in M's version is precisely the lack of vocal training at that point - she pretty much shouts throughout the end of the song. Also, Liz Smith (a journalist and gossip columnist who's never been M's assistant by the way) refers to "second single" and that was "One More Chance" :).

I completely disagree. As much as I love Rose and her original rendition, I think Madonna did a spectacular job. Especially at that stage of her career.

While Rose’s version is more nostalgic, Madonna delivered a wide range of raw emotion and even some anger. Which gave the song a brand new spin.

I think vocal training can sometimes ruin songs, especially when it comes to Madonna.

For example, her very correct rendition of Don’t Cry For Me Argentina is so bland compared to Patti LuPone or Sinead O’Connor. The vocals in the Miami Mix are way more powerful…

1 minute ago, thegoldencalf said:

I completely disagree. As much as I love Rose and her original rendition, I think Madonna did a spectacular job. Especially at that stage of her career.

While Rose’s version is more nostalgic, Madonna brought delivered with a range of raw emotion and anger. Which gave the song a brand new spin.

I think vocal training and range can sometimes ruin songs, especially when it comes to Madonna.

Her very correct rendition of Don’t Cry For Me Argentina is so bland compared to Patti LuPone or Sinead O’Connor. The vocals in the Miami Mix are way more powerful…

Interesting. I don't have an issue with Madonna's vocal on Love Don't Live Here Anymore, perhaps I didn't express myself correctly. And I agree that emotion and rawness are often more important than technical perfection. It would be a very different vocal had she re-recorded it in 1995 indeed. I just don't care too much about her version of it overall. As for Don't Cry For Me Argentina, I love Sinead's take on it but I'll take Madonna's over Patti's, Elaine Page's or Judy Covington's. That's probably blasphemy for some but I find Madonna's version more emotional, perhaps due to the key being lower. Page is my favourite Evita overall though. :)

4 hours ago, Luiz Ribeiro said:

Liz Smith, while reviewing the Something to Remember album in Newsday, felt that all of Madonna's vocal trainings that she received while shooting for the film Evita, had "paid off, because the La M's second single sounds wonderful, and is a step up from the previous haunting 'You'll See'".

I read this article at the time. I also read that she originally recorded the vocals alone in the studio but for STR she recorded them with the orchestra and she was really nervous. So I've always assumed she'd re-done the vocals... but it seems not. 

More BS from 'journalists' by the sounds of it ?

2 minutes ago, Quack said:

I read this article at the time. I also read that she originally recorded the vocals alone in the studio but for STR she recorded them with the orchestra and she was really nervous. So I've always assumed she'd re-done the vocals... but it seems not. 

More BS from 'journalists' by the sounds of it ?

Yes, and it's true....was the first time she ever recorded with an orchestra.