Is I'm Breathless Technically a Studio Album?

eXtremeOccident

So, kinda out the loop here....forgive me if this has been confirmed somewhere before.

But is I'm Breathless technically considered a Madonna studio album? Sure, it has original songs on it, but it also was the soundtrack to a movie. Curious because of the album count included in the Warner announcement.

If any fans know what's up here, I'd love to know! 

I mean I classify it as a soundtrack because it is a musical accompaniment to Dick Tracy even if 2/3 of the songs don't actually appear in the movie. Five of the twelve songs appear in the movie in some capacity, either as a performance piece or background which makes it a soundtrack to me. One padded out with extra tracks but still a soundtrack. 

9 minutes ago, Husam Elzien said:

I mean I classify it as a soundtrack because it is a musical accompaniment to Dick Tracy even if 2/3 of the songs don't actually appear in the movie. Five of the twelve songs appear in the movie in some capacity, either as a performance piece or background which makes it a soundtrack to me. One padded out with extra tracks but still a soundtrack. 

To be honest, if only 5 songs "appear" in the movie and 7 songs are new tracks, it's more of a studio album than a soundtrack :thinker:

13 minutes ago, G House said:

To be honest, if only 5 songs "appear" in the movie and 7 songs are new tracks, it's more of a studio album than a soundtrack :thinker:

I mean the overall project is attached to a movie so I think it's more of a soundtrack. Even a non-movie song like Hanky Panky is written from the perspective of Breathless Mahoney. 

Just now, Shoful said:

It’s definitely not a studio album but a side project. Idk why some fans are obsessed with calling it a studio album. It’s a side album 

I think side project is the best way to describe it. There are too many non movie tracks to deem it a full soundtrack but it definitely isn't a regular album Madonna would be inspired to write and create on her own without any prompt.

It is and always will be a studio album. It contains all new original songs.

15 will always sound better and look more impressive than 14.

Madonna has been in the game since 1982. Mariah has been around since 1990, and has 15 albums under her belt. Just let that sink in ;) 

Lets elevate Madonna’s discography, not tear it down! :thumbsup:

10 minutes ago, Husam Elzien said:

I mean the overall project is attached to a movie so I think it's more of a soundtrack. Even a non-movie song like Hanky Panky is written from the perspective of Breathless Mahoney. 

So is Glitter not an album? Even after everything that has happened during Mariahs career, even her darkest days, it was still considered and labelled as an album.

15 minutes ago, Shoful said:

It’s definitely not a studio album but a side project. Idk why some fans are obsessed with calling it a studio album. It’s a side album 

But how come it’s not in the “side album” section or “soundtrack” section in retail stores? ?

More importantly, why do you hate I’m Breathless?

Is this really that hard of a thing to decide? As with EVERYTHING Madonna related everyone is going to have a different opinion, but I am definitely with the majority here that this IS a studio album. It's NOT a soundtrack to Dick Tracy because there was already a completely separate official soundtrack album for Dick Tracy. This was an ALBUM that M did as her character which was INSPIRED by the film. Even tho it includes some songs that were also in the movie, the fact that it contains more that weren't makes it a stand alone album. It's really not that hard of a thing to see I think & have never understood why it wasn't considered it's own specific era/album? 

SImply, for what it's worth, I consider it a stand alone album of M's & include it in the overall total seperately. 

44 minutes ago, Husam Elzien said:

I think side project is the best way to describe it. There are too many non movie tracks to deem it a full soundtrack but it definitely isn't a regular album Madonna would be inspired to write and create on her own without any prompt.

I think the last thing you said sounds completely ridiculous I mean this is EXACTLY what I'm Breathless WAS!!! An ALBUM that Madonna FELT INSPIRED to write & create ON HER OWN. Find something else to over analyze this is a no brainer folks sorry. But as I said before, it really is a matter of opinion so just decide for yourself & leave it at that. Simple. It's not really worthy of a huge long drawn out discussion because as you see there are TONS of people out there that WILL NOT be convinced that this is anything other than a "soundtrack" so it's pointless to try to reason in that circumstance.

I don’t consider it a studio album in the since of her other studio albums. It is mostly original tracks but it’s also so heavily tied to a movie, but with one listen, one can tell Madonna was super invested in the concept of Breathless and Dick (no pun intended). But if I was categorizing, I wouldn’t include it with the other 14 studio albums. I’d slide it between Who’s That Girl and Evita in the movie/soundtrack albums. But it’s such a gray area and totally understand many placing it with the other studio albums straight up. 

1 hour ago, deathproof said:

But how come it’s not in the “side album” section or “soundtrack” section in retail stores? ?

More importantly, why do you hate I’m Breathless?

Lmao i dont hate I’m Breathless. I legit have never said that….

I’ve never seen it in stores nor would I know in stores where albums made by artists are separated more than that 

Her voice is so robust on this underrated song. She could have used this somewhere.

Also I always thought she could have done a campy over the top section on one of her tours with the following songs (kind of like the I'm Going Bananas section of the Girlie show).

I always thought she could have performed Rainbow High mashed up with More on tour. Scene could have been staged with chandeliers like in the Girlie Show and mirrors. Dancers would bring her coats and jewelry while she sings "Rainbow High" looking at herself in the mirror and then she breaks into "More" while the mirrors are pulled away and female backup dancers join her like in Dick Tracy. 

By the way, someone please upload Rainbow High in good quality to youtube lol.

I’m sorry but this excuse for calling it a soundtrack because it’s from the perspective of Breathless is bullshit.

Should we call Erotica a soundtrack cause it’s from the perspective of Dita?

The only reason it was labeled as a soundtrack was to tie it in with Dick Tracy which was supposed to be a huge success and to benefit from all the promotion done for the movie.

But objectively it’s a studio album

Madonna said in her BBC interview in 1990 she wrote the songs for the soundtrack, but when Warren kept rejecting them she put the album together. So the songs were created as Soundtrack songs and she made the best of the situation since she had so many songs written and ready to go. So the answer is it is whatever you want it to be, but the songs were written as Soundtrack songs with the exception of Vogue

It's a soundtrack. The fact that every song except Vogue was written specifically for the movie kind of explains it all without having to delve into essay territory. The album [or at least the songs that she herself wrote] was basically assignment writing for Madonna.

What's next, are y'all gonna call the Evita soundtrack a studio album too? :Madonna026:

Like somebody said in this comment section, It's a hybrid album. One of a kind. Depends on who listen to it. Can't call it Soundtrack because 3-4 songs used in the movie and can't call it Studio Album because it is said on the cover : Music FROM and INSPIRED by the movie. Beside, there is actually official Soundtrack Album to Dick Tracy with none of M's songs included.

38 minutes ago, Nahual said:

It's a soundtrack. The fact that every song except Vogue was written specifically for the movie kind of explains it all without having to delve into essay territory. The album [or at least the songs that she herself wrote] was basically assignment writing for Madonna.

What's next, are y'all gonna call the Evita soundtrack a studio album too? :Madonna026:

Every song on the Evita Soundtrack was used in the movie.  Only three on I'm Breathless were in the film.  It is hardly the same thing.  Breathless is a studio album.