Is I'm Breathless Technically a Studio Album?

eXtremeOccident

It's a conceptual album. She wanted more songs to be part of the movie but Warren didn't want to use most part of them.

Having the material and loving as she does create personas for her music. It became 'The music of Breathless Mahoney"

And they added Vogue with the excuse of the Hollywood golden era link. It was a perfect combination to promote the movie, to promote a musical niche album and to promote one of her most popular singles.

At the time there was a revival of mashing ragtime music and swing with dance beats and it went perfectly.

1 hour ago, Jet said:

Something to remember isn’t anything to do with Dick Tracy, it’s a classic autobiographical Madonna ballad.

I am only going on what Madonna herself said. She stated before I'm Breathless came out that the songs were written with the intention of being in the film. Each time she would write a batch of songs and give them to Warren, he rejected them, so she would go back and write more and so it went, until she had a bunch of songs and nowhere to put them.

Maybe Something to Remember is autobiographical, doesn't mean she didn't write it with the intention of including it in the movie. 

I'm Breathless exists solely because Warren rejected these songs from being in the film. M had no intention of making an album, she wanted in on the soundtrack and the royalties that would come from millions of sales. She found a way to do it. Pretty simple.

It's not an official studio album. It's a partial soundtrack/concept album supporting "Dick Tracy" in actual songs from the film and songs inspired by the film's era. I think Vogue was tagged on for it 's awesomeness as well as for it's nostalgic style and lyrics.

I have never seen it as an official studio album because I believe it was made to both support and take advantage of the success of the film Dick Tracy. They were also taking advantage of Madonna's phenomenal success. 

I love the album. It doesn't have to have the label of "studio album" for me to love it. It's just different. 

Which means Vogue, one of her most successfull singles is on a soundtrack. :thinker:

Funnily enough I'm Breathless wasnt listed on M. official page years ago, in the studio album section. Means, officially then its not a studio album. However, since its officially labeled as "songs from-and inspired", and since not all songs appear in the movie, to me technically it is a studio album. 

Edited by dude78 (see edit history)

Lets just call it a compilation album, haha. Outtakes that didn't make the film but were written for it, songs that were in the film, songs written that were inspired by the film but were written after she realised she wasn't going to get any music in the film and one random song that had nothing to do with the film

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-album-reviews/im-breathless-255438/

JUNE 14 1990

“Madonna’s new album will automatically introduce Stephen Sondheim…”

http://web.archive.org/web/20150928194940/http://www.ew.com/article/1990/05/25/im-breathless-music-and-inspired-film-dick-tracy

MAY 25 1990

Madonna’s new album is far more than music. It’s part of an extraordinary, ongoing Madonna Event.”

If i have to clasify it to one side or another i would say studio album because

1. Dick Tracy has it's own soundtrack apart from I'm Breathless

2. Like the 70% of the album is not featured in any form on the movie

3. All original Material by her

4. Some people say it's not a studio album because is performed by fictional character Breathless Mahoney... Erotica is also perfomed by fictional character Dita and is a studio album (and Ray Of Light by Veronica, and Hard Candy by M-dolla, and Madame X...) Also on the cover sais MADONNA

5.Even it states on the cover inspired by the movie i don't think that takes any studio album category from it because many albums and songs are inspired by movies.. is suddenly Nothing Really Matter a single from Memoirs of a geisha soundrack and not from Ray Of Light?

6. Until 1997/8 Warner classified it as a studio album

7. Lead single has nothing to do with Dick Tracy movie... not even inspitarion.. let's remember Vogue was a B side to Keep it together in the beginning

54 minutes ago, deathproof said:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-album-reviews/im-breathless-255438/

JUNE 14 1990

“Madonna’s new album will automatically introduce Stephen Sondheim…”

http://web.archive.org/web/20150928194940/http://www.ew.com/article/1990/05/25/im-breathless-music-and-inspired-film-dick-tracy

MAY 25 1990

Madonna’s new album is far more than music. It’s part of an extraordinary, ongoing Madonna Event.”

The press isn't a source of official information

I don’t get why some people are so desperate to call this a “Studio Album” who the fuck cares. It’s obviously not a studio album but a side project inspired by a movie and included song from the movie. Not a single “Studio Album Compilation” has included this album in it. People acting childish in here just to attempt to prove this is a studio album is laughable :Madonna003:

Now let’s discuss actual current and important topics: What did Madonna film and record in NYC?

5 hours ago, me1981 said:

I am only going on what Madonna herself said. She stated before I'm Breathless came out that the songs were written with the intention of being in the film. Each time she would write a batch of songs and give them to Warren, he rejected them, so she would go back and write more and so it went, until she had a bunch of songs and nowhere to put them.

Maybe Something to Remember is autobiographical, doesn't mean she didn't write it with the intention of including it in the movie. 

I'm Breathless exists solely because Warren rejected these songs from being in the film. M had no intention of making an album, she wanted in on the soundtrack and the royalties that would come from millions of sales. She found a way to do it. Pretty simple.

You can’t go by what she says. She often lies and changes her story.

This is the true story of I’m Breathless from several interviews with her, Pat Leonard, Sondheim and other people involved in the process 

Sondheim was employed by Beatty to work with Madonna on roughly 15 mins of music (3 songs) targeted for specific scenes. Madonna was really inspired by the collaboration and wanted to do an entire album. But Sondheim hated her and didn’t want to do anything extra. So she brought in her own collaborators to finish the project.

Beatty did not want to include any of the additional songs because he didn’t want this to be a “Madonna movie” and there was no place for them in it.

In the editing process they added a new scene that was not part of the original script and Warren decided to dub it with one of the Pat Leonard songs, which is how Back In Business made it into the movie.

13 minutes ago, Shoful said:

I don’t get why some people are so desperate to call this a “Studio Album” who the fuck cares. It’s obviously not a studio album but a side project inspired by a movie and included song from the movie. Not a single “Studio Album Compilation” has included this album in it. People acting childish in here just to attempt to prove this is a studio album is laughable :Madonna003:

Now let’s discuss actual current and important topics: What did Madonna film and record in NYC?

Because IT IS a studio album listed at the time as a Soundtrack as a marketing gimmick. And for some reason it falsely remained that way.

If it was a “side project” she wouldn’t have performed 5 songs from it during Blond Ambition

She recorded a promo/performance for the VMAs in NYC…

2 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

This is the true story of I’m Breathless from several interviews with her, Pat Leonard, Sondheim and other people involved in the process 

Sondheim was employed by Beatty to work on the music with Madonna. They recorded the 3 songs he was commission for but Madonna was really inspired by the music so she brought in her own collaborators to record more music, since Sondheim hated her and didn’t want to do anything extra than what was originally planned.

Beatty did not want to include any of the songs because he didn’t want this to be a “Madonna movie”. And also the soundtrack was planned in advance with only 3 Sondheim songs.

In the editing process they added a new scene that was not part of the original script and Warren decided to dub it with one of the Pat Leonard songs, which is how Back In Business made it into the movie.

I think this still gels though. I got the feeling Madonna wanted her songs in the movie and Beatty didn't, so that still holds that she was writing with the hopes they would be in the film. I am guessing he never outright told her but instead just kept telling her the songs were not the right fit and she eventually gave up. 

Just now, thegoldencalf said:

Because IT IS a studio album listed at the time as a Soundtrack as a marketing gimmick. And for some reason it falsely remained that way.

If it was a “side project” she wouldn’t have performed 5 songs from it during Blond Ambition

She recorded a promo/performance for the VMAs in NYC…

Lady Gaga made a side project with Tony Bennett and has her own Jazz concert for it. Doesn’t make it a studio album. No one would consider it a Gaga album. 

Yes but there must be insiders who know more of the scoop!!

44 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

Beatty did not want to include any of the additional songs because he didn’t want this to be a “Madonna movie” and there was no place for them in it.

That 84-year-old gargoyle still has his claws in the Dick Tracy movie rights, and nobody can do anything with the property until he fucks off this mortal coil. 

1 hour ago, thegoldencalf said:

Sondheim was employed by Beatty to work with Madonna on roughly 15 mins of music (3 songs) targeted for specific scenes. Madonna was really inspired by the collaboration and wanted to do an entire album. But Sondheim hated her and didn’t want to do anything extra. So she brought in her own collaborators to finish the project.

Right, Madonna lies and everyone else tells the truth. Every other person tells the truth in every interview they give; especially if they are talking about Madonna. 

When did Sondheim say he hated her? 

If Beatty didn't want this to be "a Madonna movie" does he feel that way about men who write the soundtracks for films? 

in the early 00's madonna had a catalogue in her cd re-releases of her previous albums and i'm breathless and who's that girl are both considered by warner at that time to be studio albums of madonna 

who's that girl was sold as a madonna album, not simply a soundtrack

i'm breathless was sold as a madonna studio and and not simply a soundtrack

dick tracy did have a separate soundtrack/score album with no madonna material on